News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: Roll back the ball - saving golf
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
As I noted above, I made some changes to the above, and apologize for those writing long posts to correct those errors.  I am sure you will be able to find other errors though.  

Bryan,  I didn't address what should be done, but if you've followed me thus far then you probably have a pretty good idea of where I am going.  

The problem is that USGA is essentially encouraging the manufacturers to build golf balls that pass the distance test yet have very steep increases in distance gained per incremental increase in swing speed.  So when their professionals swing faster, they reap a large (but slightly diminishing) benefit for each mph increase.   Unfortunately, this means that these balls lose at least the same distance for every step down in swing speed.   So while these balls are great for fast swing speeds, they are dogs for the rest of us.

I really can't get to into it now but it seems that they need to not only set a max limit at a certain speed, but also place a control on the slope of the increased distance per incremental increase in club head speed.     This could be accomplished easily enough by setting distance limits at speeds, or by setting one limit and then also setting a maximum slope (the same thing really) And according to the study you site, the manufacturers couldn't possibly go above this max slope as swing speeds increase.  

This would get at both the absolute distance problem and the relative gap between long and short.  

I agree that you could regulate both the max distance and the slope.  It would be relatively easy to set the targets, as you say.  But, it would be harder to specify the testing procedure.  For instance, what launch conditions would you propose for the conformance test?  For all launch conditions?  What club would you specify?  The engineering and manufacture of a conforming ball would, I think, be an enormous task.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
Lou,

I don't see bifurcation as a solution because the distance problem has trickled down into those who are good golfers but by no means good enough for a tour.  You have low to mid-single digit handicappers with a large range of swing speeds and therefore a huge distance gap between them.  Look at the numbers above.   The distance could easily be 60 to 80 yards off the tee for those with the same index.    It is very difficult to build a course that adequately interests and challenges golfers with large disparities in how far they hit the ball, and that problem will not change with bifurcation.

More importantly, I think your base assumption -- that slower swingers would necessarily be hurt by a a rolled back ball -- is incorrect.   slower swingers weren't helped much distance-wise by these new balls and there is no reason that the ball couldn't be rolled back so that aren't hurt much.   

I don't get your last paragraph at all.   Courses function better when the distance gap between long and short is more in line with what it has been historically, prior to this latest techno jump for some (but not for others.)  So it is a matter of balance.    All games have all sorts of balances and for the game to remain fun and interesting for all, it is important to keep it in balance.

So, can you be more specific about what you think the ideal compression target should be so that the slow speed swinger and high speed swinger of the same handicap can play the same course from the same tees and interact with the architecture in the same way?  If 60 to 80 yards is too much of a delta, what delta would you like to regulate between, say a 80 mph and a 120 mph swing speed?  Do you have any factual evidence of what the delta was in the '90's or earlier? 

Anecdotally, I played competitive amateur golf as far back as the '60's and as far as I recall the long hitters were significantly (30 to 40 yards) longer than I was, and my swing speed was a bit above average in those times (when I was younger and stronger).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
"With the e+ series, it's about analyzing your ball's trajectory and picking which e+ series ball is going to improve your trajectory in order to maximize your distance," Sowell said.

• e5+ Designed to increase spin for players who have trouble getting the ball in the air or who hit shots that fly too low. Bridgestone says this is the only two-piece, Urethane-cover ball on the market. That spin-generating Urethane cover should not only translate into control around the green, but should also give more lift on tee shots and long irons."

Bryan,

Most of my search turns up low compression balls for slow swingers. This would be one reason a slow swinger would lose distance when changing to the ProV. The above quote from the Golf Magazine website reporting on Bridgestone balls shows that at least they believe distance can be increased for the slow swinger by using the higher spin ball. That would definitely imply the plots would cross as I asserted above.

I will look more for concrete data as time permits.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:29:43 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
Bryan,

It appears your quoted study is irrelevant to what we are discussing here. It is a comparison of slow swinging tour pros with fast swinging tour pros.

It conveniently neglects to point out that if you plot distance against swing speed for the high spinning ball and distance against swing speed for the low spinning ball, that the lines cross. They cross at a point well below the slow swinging tour pro's swing speed.

I thought it was relevant to David's original point.  I see he has clarified his point for me.

It does prove that there is no disproportionate gain for the modern ball as swing speed increases.  It does not prove/disprove that there was a disproportionate gain between for high swing speeds between a 1990's ball vs a 2000's ball.

Do you have any quantitative study that you could point me to, or post here, that demonstrates the crossing lines theory that you state above?  Or is this just your anecdotal feeling?  I am prepared to accept that this is the case, but I've never seen a study that demonstrates it.  I assume that your reference to high spinning and low spinning balls are to the 1990's Tour Balata and Pro V1 respectively.  Or did you have some other balls in mind?  Not all balls in the 90's or in the '00's are uniformly high spinning or low spinning.

Brian,

One of my major sources for information like this is Tom Wishon's The Search for the Perfect Golf Club. Unfortunately, I don't have it available now.

You are right. I am referring to Tour Balata vs ProV1. Tom Paul has reported on this website that the USGA told him that tour pros would lose approximately 25 yards if they were forced back to the Tour Balata.

I will do some searching to see if I can come up with more concrete data.

Garland,

I have Wishon's book sitting right here, and I don't recall any quantitative information of that sort in it.  Let me know where I should look in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tour players would lose 25 yards if forced back to a tour balata and they used their current swings and drivers.  I suspect (without proof) that they would alter their swings and their driver heads and shafts to reduce the spin of the balata balls to mitigate the distance loss.  The fact that they'd lose 25 yards, of course, doesn't speak to the slope of the distance/swing speed line for the balata balls.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
Lou,

Getting old is a bitch isn't it.   ;)  I'd suggest that maybe you need to limit your competition to other older gentlemen.  It'd be easier and less disruptive than trying to further regulate or roll back or bifurcate the ball for everyone.   ;D

I don't think that David and Garland are suggesting that the modern ball is exponentially longer.  It is linear, just maybe at a different slope than the balata balls of yore.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
Garland,
That's EXACTLY what we saw when we did our USGA/R&A ball testing.  My wife Laura with her 70mph driver swing speed GAINED distance when using the rolled back ball.

I'm around 95mph, and I lost about 5 yards (who cares), but I liked the additional spin on the ball, which ironically was a Bridgestone-made ball that was roughly the same as thier e5 line.

(The USGA guys said they had samples from all the manufacturers, but we only played Bridgestones).

Brent Hutto

« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
Garland,
That's EXACTLY what we saw when we did our USGA/R&A ball testing.  My wife Laura with her 70mph driver swing speed GAINED distance when using the rolled back ball.

I'm around 95mph, and I lost about 5 yards (who cares), but I liked the additional spin on the ball, which ironically was a Bridgestone-made ball that was roughly the same as thier e5 line.

(The USGA guys said they had samples from all the manufacturers, but we only played Bridgestones).

Well at the end of the day, no surprise there. The sample provided by Bridgestone was basically a high-spin ball for low-clubhead-speed players. Sure enough the 70mph swinger got more carry, the 95mph got more spin and I'm guessing it spun way, way too much and didn't work worth a darn for the 120mph+ swingers. Sort of proves they're not just blowing smoke with their various models and are truly able to dial in the characterstiics needed by different players.

So we just need to make a rule that the PGA Tour guys all have to play pink Precept Lady balls. Problem solved.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I hit some drives, during a round yesterday, with a a Titleist Professional 90.  I regret to report to Tom Paul that not a single one of them had the characteristic low launch, rising trajectory that he remembers.  I think that trajectory is a function of a descending swing path as well as the spin rate of the ball.

Oh, and I saw no appreciable difference to a modern ball in slicing or hooking.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:09:36 PM by Bryan Izatt »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »
What has the USGA done in the past?

When balls started jumping off the driver too fast they put in the initial velocity test.

When balls that met the initial velocity test started to go too far, they put in the overall distance standard.

When balls were designed to vary their spin rate disproportionately with club loft, the USGA should have put in a spin regulation standard. (I know, I know, Bryan, where have you heard that before? ;) )

They did not react with a new standard as they did in the past, and things have gotten out of hand.

EDIT: Actually, I believe this brings us back around to where the thread started. Clearly, when the Strata came out that was the game changer, the patent was in place, and the USGA had the problem of regulating against a patent with the money invested in R&D that led to it. Therefore, the USGA's conundrum.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:13:32 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
I think of you as more in terms of  vaseline on the face.  Spin rate disproportionate to club loft sounds so much more scientific, albeit the use of disproportionate adds confusion rather than clarity in this usage.  We've already had a disproportionate amount of debate on what is disproportionate in ball performance.  Maye an alternative term would be good.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
http://www.oneplanegolfswing.com/oneplanemembers/golfequipment/launch_monitor_numbers.jsp

Ideal Numbers:
Ball Speed    Launch Angle    

Back Spin (rpm's)
   Carry Distance
170 mph    11.5-15.5+*    2000-2400    289 yards
160 mph    12-16+*    2200-2650    271 yards
150 mph    13-16.5+*    2300-2800    252 yards
140 mph    14-17+*    2350-2950    233 yards
130 mph    14.5-17*    2400-3100    215 yards
120 mph    15-17*    2500-3300    196 yards

Joe Hancock

« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
I think of you as more in terms of  vaseline on the face. 

Out of context, this is perhaps one of the strangest sentences I've ever read on this forum.

:D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Lou_Duran

« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
Bryan,

I do not lose sleep over how far the pros are hitting the ball.  I am certainly not interested enough to study ball statistics in great detail.  My comments are largely anecdotal and were not solely concerning the ball.  The combination of improvements in technique, experience, fitness, nutrition, CLUB TECHNOLOGY, and the ball have ALL conspired to give the fast swing speed golfers a disproportional distance advantage.  I would never consider penalizing people for seeking to improve, but buying the game off the rack may give me some pause in the relatively narrow category of the highest levels of competitive golf.

Whether the advantage is exponential or geometric vs. arithmetic or constant, I can only say that my experience suggests that folks who swing at 110+ mph gain a proportionally greater distance from these factors than those who swing at 100 and 90.  I suppose that these impressions could be validated or rejected by a huge study using Iron Byron and varying the ball, club (heads, shafts, length, etc.), wind, temperature, humidity, altitude, etc.  On the other hand, we can just look at a Tiger Woods and a Fred Funk and draw our own conclusions.  I think that the increase in distance as a percentage is considerably less for the slower swinger, but perhaps I am wrong.

As to playing with my age peers, not too many of them seem to want to play anything longer than 6400 yards.  I still like the challenge of hitting all the clubs in my bag, and get more satisfaction shooting 82 from the back tees than in the mid-70s from the seniors'.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

Garland,

I have Wishon's book sitting right here, and I don't recall any quantitative information of that sort in it.  Let me know where I should look in it.

You are right, you won't find quantitative information it it. Quantitative information does not sell. However you will find qualitative information in it similar to

"While slower swinging golfers need the spin to keep the ball in the air longer, the faster swingers out there would lose a ton of distance..."

from http://www.oneplanegolfswing.com/oneplanemembers/golfequipment/launch_monitor_numbers.jsp

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »

Out of context, this is perhaps one of the strangest sentences I've ever read on this forum.

Joe,

Funny you should say that. Are you not the guy who posted once that you sniff your divots to determine the alkaline content of the soil? I have never forgotten that one.

Regards,

DMoriarty

« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »
Bryan wrote:
David,

Forgive me if there are later posts that modify this post.  I understand the distinction that you are making about where the "disproportionate" gain is.  The issue I have is that your assertions are both vague and general.  You don't specify what before and after balls you are comparing when you say the slopes of the lines are different.  Nor do you quantify the specific difference in the slopes.  You imply that they are significant, but what is significant?  I'll ask you the same as I asked Garland, do you have any controlled study that you've seen that demonstrates the difference in slopes?

Unfortunately I do not have specific data for the old balls or the lower swing speeds.  I recall seeing some or figuring some out at some point before but don't have it handy now.     That is one of the real frustrations here . . . The USGA has all the info, but they have failed analyze that info in a meaningful way.  (If they have, then they haven't provided us with with results.)

I don't have an Iron Byron, but a few years I did a test once using what I will call The Latex Lynn, a "golf machine" with a swing-speed in the mid 90 mph range.  The Latex Lynn hit 50 drives on a launch monitor, half with the ProV1x and half with the Tour Balata (I intermixed and teed the balls)  and I recorded the results, then threw out worst 5 from each group (the Latex Lynn is not quite as consistent as the Iron Byron.)   On The Latex Lynn the ProV1x was shorter on average (around 3 or 4 yards, if I recall correctly) than the Tour Balata.  (This was the case even though the Balatas were probably at least six or seven years old.)

I'd also question your statement (that I've highlighted in red above) that you took a huge hit in distance going to a Pro V1.  How huge a hit did you take?  What ball were you using before?  I've never heard anyone assert before that they lost distance with the Pro V1.

That was a mistake on my part.   "I" was writing from the perspective of "EIGHTY" (believe it or not my swingspeed is higher than that) and I probably should have written ProV1x.   As for me, I do take a noticable hit with the ProV1x even compared to the ProV1 but I could not quantify it.   As for the ProV, I don't think I've gained any distance (and possibly lost a bit) but cannot be certain.  Anecdotally, I hit the Balata further than the ProV1x as well, but did not difference the amount.

I agree that you could regulate both the max distance and the slope.  It would be relatively easy to set the targets, as you say.  But, it would be harder to specify the testing procedure.  For instance, what launch conditions would you propose for the conformance test?  For all launch conditions?  What club would you specify?  

It would be hard to pick the procedures, but no harder than now.   I am no expert on the advantages and disadvantages of the various options-- I am neither an engineer nor a scientist, and am looking at this from a theoretical perspective only.   I'd have to speak to some engineers and scientists to figure it out.   But whatever method was chosen, I think that also regulating the slope would go a long ways toward making the test procedures much harder to get around.   Of the top of my head I would tend toward focusing on initial velocity and "optimal" spin rate and launch angle rather than trying to recreate a shot with a particular club.  For example, the USGA should tell Titleist that it is going to send ProV1z flying at X mph and optimium spin and launch angle conditions (whatever spin and launch angle maximizes distance) and that the ProV1z better not fly more than Y yards or the USGA will reject it.

The engineering and manufacture of a conforming ball would, I think, be an enormous task.

I am not so sure.  If we use past performance results to set our limits, then it is not exactly as if we are asking them to reinvent the wheel.  And what I like best about this approach is does not dictate exactly what the companies should do, but gives them an incentive to compete.  They can engineer and manufacture new products to their hearts' content, so long as they comply.  That way, the manufacturers can still try to sell us new product every year and still pretend that their brand is significantly better than the others.      Also, it may not be possible for a single ball to hug the slope line from the beginning to end, so manufacturers might have an incentive to build balls optimized to particular swing speeds (some are sort of heading this way, at least in marketing.)

So, can you be more specific about what you think the ideal compression target should be so that the slow speed swinger and high speed swinger of the same handicap can play the same course from the same tees and interact with the architecture in the same way?  If 60 to 80 yards is too much of a delta, what delta would you like to regulate between, say a 80 mph and a 120 mph swing speed?  Do you have any factual evidence of what the delta was in the '90's or earlier?  

Anecdotally, I played competitive amateur golf as far back as the '60's and as far as I recall the long hitters were significantly (30 to 40 yards) longer than I was, and my swing speed was a bit above average in those times (when I was younger and stronger).

I cannot.  I don't have the data.   But it ought to be easy enough for the USGA to do by looking at how the past balls performed at different swing speeds.  Big hitters have always had a big advantage and that is how it should be, but the goal should be twofold:  1) Push back on the big hitters enough so that they fit on courses of reasonable length, and 2) regulate the relative advantage of the big hitters back to something more in line with what it has been historically.  

I don't see it as being that complicated, provided the data is available.

I don't think that David and Garland are suggesting that the modern ball is exponentially longer.  It is linear, just maybe at a different slope than the balata balls of yore.

I am NOT suggesting that any particular modern ball is exponentially longer, but think that if we took looked a theoretical "OPTIMAL BALL" which represents each "state of the art" ball (distance wise) at every swing speed, then we would see something that might look like exponential distance gain, if only for a limited range of swing speeds.   

Here is a chart I created a few years ago to demonstrate what I mean.   The small straight lines represent slopes of particular ball types, while , the purple curved line represents our defined OPTIMAL BALL (an amalgamation made of each best ball at every swing speed.)  One can see how that "exponential distance gain" could exist even if not produced by a single ball.  This approach makes more sense to me, because the reality is that our swing speeds are fairly constant, and when comparing relative advantage we ought to be realistic and use the best ball at every swing speed.   THIS IS FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY.  I don't know that this circumstance exists, but given how steep the slope is at high speeds for balls like the the BALL A above, I'd be willing to bet the that slope of the OPTIMAL BALL gets steeper in this range.  theoretical, but something that the USGA could easily test and confirm (or disprove) if the so chose.   [Note that for simplicity my slope lines do not taper off, but the concept is the same even with tapered slope lines.]

Dan

Now THAT is what I am talking about!   The impact of regulating the ball does not have to kill shorter hitters, and it may even help the slowest ones out a bit.

What is better for the game in the long run . . . . building balls that don't help anyone but those that already hit drives 330 yards or building balls that might give the 70 mph swinger a little extra pop?   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:03:45 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
Bryan,

Here is the data.

Low spin ball - actual data from a modern tour ball from Golf Magazine
http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1878631,00.html
Swing speed  80   100    120
Spin rate     2000 2200 2500
Distance from http://probablegolfinstruction.com/PGI%20Newsletter/news05-02-04.htm
                   182   247   306

I doubt anyone has data from Tour Balata that I can find so make some spin rate data up for demonstration purposes, hypothetical ball
Swing speed  80    100     120
Spin Rate     3600  3900  4200
Distance from http://probablegolfinstruction.com/PGI%20Newsletter/news05-02-04.htm
                   187    248    297

As you can see, the plots will cross.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »

Joe,

Funny you should say that. Are you not the guy who posted once that you sniff your divots to determine the alkaline content of the soil? I have never forgotten that one.

Regards,

And your point would be...?

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
"For whatever it's worth, I hit some drives, during a round yesterday, with a a Titleist Professional 90.  I regret to report to Tom Paul that not a single one of them had the characteristic low launch, rising trajectory that he remembers.  I think that trajectory is a function of a descending swing path as well as the spin rate of the ball."

Bryan:

For starters, do you have any idea at all what MPH you were hitting those Pro 90s with? And if you think you know, may I ask how you know?

Regarding that low launch trajectory you referred to that I mentioned, all I can tell you is I am old enough to distinctly remember it but only from golfers who had very high MPH swing speeds. One should also keep in mind that that trajectory I remember was also pretty much was from the age of the persimmon driver.

TEPaul

« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
I have had the opportunity over the years to speak at length about I&B tech matters with some within the USGA Tech Center including at great length with former Tech Director Frank Thomas.

I'm not completely certain (I am also certainly not a physicist or scientist) but I do remember asking if there was data available that might give us some indication of comparative distance (and trajectory) data from the age of the much higher spinning (balata) balls. I recall that there is not any data like that at least not the way we might want it or be able to utilize it to compare todays golf balls against the much higher RPM softer balls.

I think I recall that Thomas mentioned that the ODS pretty much used 109MPH as basically a "pass/fail" factor or protocol to test for golf ball conformance. I don't know that they even bothered to test the distance and trajectory characteristics of any type ball at either lower or higher MPH swing speeds. The whole deal was basically a "pass/fail" test and 109 was the MPH protocol used to do it.

TEPaul

« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »
What I believe I really learned speaking with Thomas, however, is what he said about the way it used to be for the Tech Center, and perhaps still is to some extent.

What he said was that new stuff was coming down the I&B R&D pipeline from the manufacturers all the time and the inherent problem was that it was pretty hard for the Tech Center (and perhaps even the manufacturers) to tell what all the ramifications of it might be (even in distance and trajectory et al) with the existing ODS tests. For this reason, sometimes balls and equipment might fail the conformance tests for reasons that were not even in the I&B Rules and Regs at the time. Such things as COR and how to define the measurement of the distance between grooves (straight up or on an axis) are two really good examples that did create lawsuits and conformance agreement problems between the USGA/R&A and the manufacturers.

Essentially, THIS INHERENT PROBLEM was the very reason Thomas created what was referred to as "Optimization Testing." It was actually a test (test machine or test process?) created by the USGA that could be given to all the manufacturers so they could ALL try better to get on the same page during and manufacturer R&D and USGA conformance testing.

My recollection is that the USGA rolled this "Optimiztion Test" out to big fanfare and expectation but for whatever their reasons the manufacturers refused to accept it, and so it was shelved and never implemented.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:39:41 AM by TEPaul »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
David and Garland,

Interesting responses.  No time now, but I'll respond later, including the results of a Balata Bryan test.

Tom,

Swing speed was in the mid to upper 90's - not a high swing speed by any means.

TEPaul

« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »
"Tom,
Swing speed was in the mid to upper 90's - not a high swing speed by any means."

Bryan:

From all my observations from playing all that tournament golf back in those days, the only guys who could really produce that kind of trajectory I mentioned (with particularly drivers) were the players who had very high swing speeds. The rest of us couldn't produce that trajectory with a driver with those old high spinning balata balls. At least that was my observation over quite a number of years.

Today, virtually none of the highest swing speed players produce that old trajectory----quite the opposite in fact. I've been told that the difference between that old trajectory and the new one at the SAME MPH (let's call it either the old ODS MPH at 109 or the new one at 120) that the difference in carry distance between the old trajectory and the new one can be around 30+ yards in neutral conditions!

This might be somewhat analagous to that old diorama they used to have at the Tech Center that compared the difference in carry distances with two significantly different trajectories both into a certain set speed headwind and the same downwind.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:27:38 PM by TEPaul »

JMEvensky

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
The Bobby Jones instructional films (the ones with the celebrities) usually ended with him hitting a ball at the camera.The rising trajectory is pretty easy to see.

TEPaul

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
Jeff:

That's a very good observation. Those shots coming right at the camera sure are noticeably low at first and then rising. As you know Jones could really hit it (he obviously had a very high swing speed for his era and those balls back then were probably both very soft and very high spinning).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back