News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

November Northeast Trip Ideas
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »
I live in S. New Jersey and have been looking to go away for two or three days somewhere for a weekend getaway drive and some golf with my wife.  The problem is, a lot of the places I have looked at like Bedford Springs, Bay Creek VA, etc. want about 300-400 a night for a single room- not including golf! I payed less than that in Hawaii.  Does that sound like a lot in this economy? Also, anyone have any ideas that where they have been to in the northeast US that might work and not break me?  I just can't see spending a thousand bucks for a weekend of golf at an average resort.

Cory Lewis

Re: November Northeast Trip Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Crystal Springs Resort, Ballyowen is around $100 in November and the other courses are less than than.  Lake of Isles also has some decent packages in the fall as well.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:00:50 PM »
Thanks Cory. I will look into both.  Have you been to both places?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
Yeah but geez, it's November!!  Get as close to the water and away from the mountains as you can.  Western New York is a crapshoot by then.  We're lucky to be playing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »
How about the Shawnee Inn near Stroudsburg, PA or Crystal Springs in North Jersey?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »
The Hyatt in Cambridge, Maryland has golf and an indoor pool - pretty reasonably priced.  Homestead is offering a good deal on what it calls an activity package which includes golf.

Scott Coan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
May be a bit of a drive but if you haven't been there take her to Martha's Vineyard and play Farm Neck.  Great off-season rates on the island this time of year and FN (although private) allows outside play in the off-season.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
May be a bit of a drive but if you haven't been there take her to Martha's Vineyard and play Farm Neck.  Great off-season rates on the island this time of year and FN (although private) allows outside play in the off-season.

Farm Neck is public as far as I know.  However, Martha's Vineyard's climate in November is much like Bandon's, but add the possibility of a foot of snow and huge waves trying to snatch houses into the ocean...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
Rick,
I really didn't like Ballyowen at all.  Plus, it's up in the Jersey Highlands, so it could have snow in November.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
I suspect you could get a great deal on a hotel in Rehoboth Beach, DE, or Ocean City, MD; there are a bunch of decent courses in the area (especially closer to Ocean City); it's a pretty easy trip on the Cape May-Lewes ferry; and it can still be pretty mild there in November.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
Or Atlantic City - Cape May, NJ.  Same reasons Carl mentions.  Hidden Creek in Egg Harbor Twp, NJ is a super private course that's worth a call to see if you can get on.  Combine that with Twisted Dune and Atlantic City CC is a pretty good vacation.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »

Farm Neck is public as far as I know.  However, Martha's Vineyard's climate in November is much like Bandon's, but add the possibility of a foot of snow and huge waves trying to snatch houses into the ocean...

Yeah I think you should be heading south, not up to Martha's Vineyard, not to mention the marshall's at FarmNeck are quite proud of themselves.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
Live in RI and looking for a good day for golf this week...Heed the advice head south not to New England in November!

Rick Sides

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
Dan H,
I would love to play Hidden Creek! Do you think they would let me on with a call or a call from my head pro? That would be a nice trip

Steve Sayre

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »
Pine Needles 8 hours away. Go South and enjoy.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
Dan H,
I would love to play Hidden Creek! Do you think they would let me on with a call or a call from my head pro? That would be a nice trip

What's the worst thing that could happen?  They say, "no"...  Give it a shot.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
The title of this thread sounds like an oxy moron.  Are the above mentioned courses opened in November?  I would have to reccomend you head south.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
I would think that coastal Virginia would be the most northern safe bet.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott Coan

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »

Come on now, last time MV had any measurable snow in early Nov was in the last Ice Age...  Oct/Nov is the best time to visit, everything's half price and all the touristas are long gone.

http://www.uptake.com/blog/winter-vacations/marthas-vineyard-winter_2467.html

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »
If you're flexible and get lucky with a long range forecast you can hit a relatively warm patch in the NE, but there is no guarantee of golfing weather in November anywhere above the Mason-Dixon line.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back