News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Course opening... Complete now with accompanying pics
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »
Well, it is finally here. The long awaited opening of Diamante Cabo San Lucas is Sunday, October 17. A few have gotten a sneak preview but the it officially opens Sunday. Glad to see this place get back on track. Should be a nice boost for the area.

Anyone headed this way contact me and I will make the propoer introductions to get you on the course if such is required.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:27:30 PM by Greg Tallman »

Mike Bowline

Re: Course opening...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Greg, did you have an official role in the development of the course? Sorry if I missed it earlier........

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
Greg....will you be playing this monday afternoon, or tuesday/wednesday?

I'll take a break from the finish work thats outside the holes if you are.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
Congrats to all involved. Looks great!

http://diamantelife.com/collection/
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
Thanks for that link Slag.

Look at this place - what a site!!!

The Golf looks to be a fantastic adventure as well. 

Well done indeed Paul Cowley and team.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »
Paul, correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll never have to topdress this course, right?  :)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
Paul:

Congratulations on your long-overdue opening.

Who actually owns the place now?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
Looks absolutely spectacular - please tell me it will not be lost under a few feet of sand if there is a big storm?

Also - how do you get around the course - are there special dune buggy carts? (seriously) or are there paths hidden in there someone.

How far from the harbor in Los Cabos (ie - downtown)?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Simply stunning.  Spectacular.

Anyone know if those are oblique dunes, because I heard you can't build a golf course over such formations.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »
I agree with everyone else that the course looks spectacular.  Has anyone played it?  Any comments/reactions? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »
I have not played it, but I got a full tour from Paul about 18 months ago.  It was 75% done then, so it's had a lot of time to mature.
There are some spectacular holes.  Curious to see how it goes over in Cabo ... it's a tough course and it's a very windy spot, and the conventional wisdom down there is that nobody likes the windy side of the peninsula.  I hope it's a great success and paves the way for more courses of the same ilk.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
Can anyone tell me where Diamante is located relative to Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo?

BTW, from the pictures, the place looks awesome.

Tom Doak--

Any update on Bay of Dreams?  Thanks!

Norbert P

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
  . . .    I hope it's a great success and paves the way for more courses of the same ilk.

The land beyond looks excellent for another golf course with closer hole locations to the ocean and less "natural" topdressing issues.

Could this be the kernel of . . .    Mexi-Bandon?  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:52:44 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
BTW . . .   I don't see any concrete cart paths.   

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
Greg,Tom, Slag, Eric et al.....

Thanks for the interest....it has been a long process for many reasons, and its finally coming to fruition.

Its been almost five years since I first wandered the 1600 acre property afoot...without benefit of base maps or topos. It soon became a jaw dropping while stumbling from dune crest to dune crest experience....one that finally culminated at a glorious deserted beach.
You really have to see the site to be able to appreciate the how strong the setting is....dunes up to 150' and incredible views...a great raw piece of land similar to Cypress or Ballybunion or a few of Tom's more heralded creations.

This course could never get built in the States.

It was the primary film site for the movie Troy.

It will open today to limited play, but the Grand Opening will be December 13th.

Tom, the course is still owned by the original development group. Lehman Brothers was the original lender, but after their collapse, one of the lenders behind Lehman came forward to provide the direct funding....which took about 9 months to get back on track...and fortunately everything has smoothed out and the future looks good.

You will also be pleased to know that I was finally able to get a dozer bigger than a D5 to manipulate...nah flatten....some of the dune areas that constricted the play width of a few holes.

I have redone many of the bunkers and fairway edges to try to obscure the 'hand of man', and I am still de vegetating and restricting irrigation on the sandy edges areas to reduce the amount of lost ball potential.
Only one grass type was used, Paspalum Supreme, and there is not a single piece of drain pipe of anywhere on the course...and its been interesting to see how the grass responds to withholding water where we want a natural looking edge...its really a great look to see it thin out and transition back to sand. Maintenance friendly too.

The course does get its share of naturally occurring topdressing in the dry and windy months, and we are just going with it....letting the wind create aerodynamic slopes and surfaces.
I learned after the first year to rough and punk up features....exagerate them to a certain extent....and then let the wind finish the final shaping.

One of the pluses of having a year round growing season is that we don't have the dessication and scouring that many of the Sandhill or Bandon courses have when their grass goes dormant.
We fix erosion areas by adding water and turf, but more often than not we just go with it....I have learned much from big wind events....mainly don't fight back...but instead to allow for and embrace the change.
I often reflect on how much Cypress has changed and mellowed from its original raw state, and its going to be interesting to see how this course evolves over time.

Cart path design had similar issues.
Although the course is very walkable and has a caddy program, it was decided early that we would also allow for carts to be used.....but cart paths would only go from greens to the next tee.
Concrete was not an option because the sand made it almost impossible to get material to the site....but more importantly, with as much as the site moves....especially in the un irrigated areas where most of the cart paths occur...we knew that we didn't want to commit to a surface that was inflexible.
We considered different options such as irrigated and grassed paths, decomposed granite and RR ties in various combinations....but settled on all RR ties for ease of construction, and the ability to relay them in changing areas.
We also have beefed up the suspension on the carts and added a flotation type tire which helps mitigate the bumpiness.
The carts actually do well off road....but we are not going to publicize that for obvious reasons....but I guess I just did.

The course plays from 7300, 7000, 6600, 6300, and 5800 [and lower], with two drivable par fours, a 490 and 540 par four, 305 par three which plays wind down generally. Most should not go too far back for the most 'fun'.

The course recently was played by the higher ups from Golf Digest, who kindly said there was not a bad hole in the mix, and that it should crack the Top 100 World in short order. That would be nice, as then Cabo golf would have two of these....Cabo Del Sol being the other.
But who knows with the Rating Game.

As I write this I am keeping an eye on Hurricane Rick which seems to be barrelling towards Cabo mid week...and I was to go there tomorrow. Probably won't, but want to wish my friend Greg Tallman Godspeed because I expect he will stay put.
Its interesting in that I was there for the last Cat 1/2 storm that came through two years ago and the eye passed right over Cabo.

We weren't fully grassed and I expected that much of what we had done would be blown away.

When I finally got to the site, I was pleased to see no damage at all.....primarily because of all the rain that came with the wind.
The wet sand held in place and was polished and swept as smooth as could be.
It was perfect, and I wish we could of cut in the sprigs the next day.....but we still needed irrigation!

Tom....please come and  make a return trip, with clubs even, when you have the time.
I would equally enjoy touring your Bay of Dreams course, as I hear that is getting close to opening as well.

I could get more specific about details of the course if anyone wants....but for now I'm tired of typing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:13:21 PM by paul cowley »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
Paul:

The Bay of Dreams is playable now, but still a month or two away from a "soft" opening.  I expect the opening will be very soft since it is not nearly as handy for the golf tourist crowd as your place.  I am waiting to hear when the client wants me to come down again; having just returned from a month-long trip, I am not too much in a hurry to leave home, even though it is already getting chilly in Michigan.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
That looks pretty spectacular.  I can't believe that sand doesn't blow all over the course when it is windy; it must be more compacted than it looks.

Who is the arch?  Is it affilated w/ Cabo Del Sol?  I was searching around online but didn't see too much.

paul cowley

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
Kenny....its a Love Golf Design course and the designers of record are Davis Love, his brother Mark, and myself.

Its a private development that has links with other Cabo Resorts, Cabo Del Sol included [Greg Tallman], who will be allowed a certain number of tee times.

Its about 20 minutes north of Cabo San Lucas on the Pacific side....windier at times yes, but cooler than the Sea of Cortez side when things heat up in summer.

Plus western sunsets.

When our World Financial Order returns to normal, this area is where things will be happening.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
Paul,

The course looks stunning!  Congratulations on a job well done!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Several years ago I played Cabo del sol and El Dorado.
But this course............ A big reason to go back. I can taste the fish tacos at the turn at CDS.
Wow, those are some dunes, congrats.

JR Potts

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 03:12:24 PM »
Isn't there a CAT-5 hurricane heading toward Cabo?

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Paul - Thanks for the details....more would be gladly taken as well!!

Sounds like an incredible place and one not to miss.  Good luck and hope to see this course one day.

Greg - Thanks for keeping us all in the loop on this wonderful project.

Cheers

TJ Patterson

Jason McNamara

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
Isn't there a CAT-5 hurricane heading toward Cabo?

Down to a Cat 2 (and dropping), but still poised to take a very solid swipe at the area in the next three days.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep5+shtml/203515.shtml

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »
Greg....will you be playing this monday afternoon, or tuesday/wednesday?

I'll take a break from the finish work thats outside the holes if you are.

Paul, No such luck. I made it out yesetrday and chatted with Ken, Mike and Erik. By the way, perhaps once Ken leaves town you and I can grab a couple of shovels and some native plantings and fix the middle of #10 fairway! ;)

Drop by a little place called Lucky's this evening. They have a little charity poker tournament to benefit the local humane society and I have a "friend" playing so I'll drop by for a beer or two. Would love to have you drop in and have one or two. It is across from Poncho's so I take it you know the location.

For those purists be ready to be taken aback by the bells and whistles. Some of you will hate it but I think it is outstanding (though I would never introduce the costs associated with the offerings). Various points throught the pre, mid and post round you will encounter comfort stations/mini-restaurants offering soup... yep soup (the black bean yesterday was awesome), tuna, lamb, shrimp, kobe beef... WAY over the top. Think a Discovery Land course open to the public. They have created a great atmosphere and should be a huge hit with the typical golfing tourinst in the area. Practice Facility is something to behold... Paul should get pcis as words do not suffice.

It will be intersting to see how long the excess lasts as believe me it is over the top. While we do charge as much as $350 at Cabo del Sol I would never even consider going as far as  Mike and his team are at Diamante. I am somewhat jealous while still proud of the product we offer.

Congrats to the guys at Love Design, Ken, Mike and Erik something to be very proud of particulalry in these times.

But one word of warning...

Poach one more staff member and it's WAR!! ;)

Jason, Not even a Cat 2 forecast any longer... will be a Tropical Storm and probably 45-80 miles south of us. Looks like we dodge another bullet.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:29:28 PM by Greg Tallman »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
Greg, did you have an official role in the development of the course? Sorry if I missed it earlier........

Mike, Just to clarify I have no affiliation with Diamante whatsoever... just a fan. I am affiliated with Cabo del Sol.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back