News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Galea

Conditioning
« on: December 08, 2001, 01:37:43 PM »
In your own words, what are the criteria by which golf course conditioning is judged?

What do you think constitutes the best conditioning?

What takes a course to the pinnacle of conditioning?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"chief sherpa"

RJ_Daley

Re: Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2001, 02:50:20 PM »
Pete, I am not a speed freak and can live with slower greens in understandable circumstances, if they putt true.  I think the stimp meter is not the way to measure conditioning on all greens, because the environment must be taken into consideration.  I like the speed when it is achieved in proper balance to the design parameters and environment, like Nebraska.  Severely contoured greens don't need to be so fast as they should be true rolling.  But, firm and fast conditions in the fairway is another matter.  I judge the course by how firm the fairways are, with consideration to unussual wet weather conditions that can't be helped.  Over fertilized and over watered is just a downer.  Particularly the approaches should not be over watered.  I know they take a beating and need higher fertility, but keeping carts away from approaches and doing all possible to keep them firm is much appreciated.

Roughs properly conditioned are also an essential in my judgemental considerations.  I don't care how scruffy they look, if that is the architectural style of whispy rough, then that is what I like regardless of looks.  I hate roughs that become too lush and unplayable for reasons of hurting your wrists if you are lucky enough to find your ball, and no chance of recovery.  Again, the course style dictates the roughs conditioning.  If it is a parkland course, I like to see them cut about 2 inches and under fertilized, rejecting the green color wall to wall popular opinion for playability-recovery possibility.  

I think you had HMB in very good condition, and I hope to see Pajaro someday soon.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2001, 03:57:09 PM »
PeteG:

As far as I'm concerned the word or term "conditioning" is out or should be! It's way too general, misleading and sometimes dangerous in the wrong minds and mouths. It's been around too long and connotes different things to different people and sometimes things that can be very detrimental to many  courses.

There's a new term now to take its place that's much more definable, logical, useful and benefical. Basically the new term means and defines that set of maintenance practices and conditions that maximizes any golf course's design intent. And it can be different from course to course depending on what type of course or design it is!

It's called "The Maintenance Meld"!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:35:53 AM by TEPaul »

ed getka

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2001, 06:26:41 PM »
Pete,
I primarily am interested in the greens when I look at a course's condition. If they putt true I am not too concerned about speed. Other than the greens I just hate overwatered golf courses where I can feel my feet sinking in with each step. The ball doesn't roll in those conditions and the short game doesn't require any imagination when the ball just dies when it lands.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2001, 09:14:37 PM »
I'm easy :o all I want is good lie if I hit a fairway. I don't consider a divot part of the evaluation. Divots aren't the super's or crew's fault, maybe if there are 1200 unfixed ones in a ten by ten section.  ;D
I do think that the number of unrepaired ballmarks, on the greens, is more of a reflection of the regular golfers at each and every individual course than anyone else. :(

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2001, 06:42:53 PM »
What I'm looking for is consistency.

If the greens are quick, say 12 on the stimpmeter, then I'd hope that every green is that speed or thereabouts, rather than have inconsistent speed, which gives me the shits.  

The greens need to be true, and firm, notwithstanding the recent weather.  Fairways should give a reasonable lie, and be consistent, so you can be assured of a similar lie each time you hit a fairway.

Also: badly maintained bunkers, such as a shortage of sand or unraked footmarks are frustrating.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2001, 07:09:40 PM »
Firm and fast fairways.  Green speed higher for flatter greens, slower for steeper slopes.  Consistency is critical, especially in the bunkers.  If one is hard and not much sand and the next is soft and deep sand, that's aggravating!  While I dont mind a flower bed or two, not within range of just off-line approach shots.  But nothing is more aggravating than a green complex open in front with soggy turf at the bottom of a false front or bump up ramp.  I guess this condition could develop if greens are watered and the drainage is right down to the front.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2001, 07:19:04 PM »
I look at conditioning as being consistant and keeping the course in good playing condition as per its design. Some greens need to be around 8 or more because of their size. Some slower because of contouring. I find foreign grasses and weeds to be bad conditioning when it is in the general playing areas.  The fairways shoud be kept in a condition to allow normal play and regualar lies. One should not have to bump the ball to find grass. the game is to play the ball down therefore good grass coverage is essential.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2001, 07:21:34 PM »
I played the most gorgeous Ken Dye today. The color of the winter grass was purrrrfect. What is that color? a greenish brown? or a brownish green? Well the whole place was like concrete. I loved it. With a steady 25 wind the second was downwind and the flippin ball went for'flipin'ever. uncartpath assisted 398. So, the conditions are adaptable and so should we. :D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »
How does the definition of "well conditioned" differ between folks here at the Treehouse versus "John Q Public"?

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
John Q. Public wants more water and more green, less rub of the green.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back