News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Opening Day at Augusta
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Opening day and festivities for new members.

Martha Burke most disappointed that no distaff made the cut but Lynn Swan and Pat Hayden are in.

C. Squier

Re: Opening Day at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
Can't believe I didn't get an invite!

Seriously though, wonder what the hazing is like on a new member's first day?  Me thinks it's a pretty good day in the life of a golfer.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

Seriously though, wonder what the hazing is like on a new member's first day?  Me thinks it's a pretty good day in the life of a golfer.

I'm thinking it is one they won't forget.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »
Are they getting a little jock heavy there in Augusta?

Condi Rice joined Shoal Creek.  That really is a great story if one can get past the politics, whatever they may be!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:53 PM »

Mine actually came in the mail this year.....but the dog ate it before I could get the contact details.  Tough break!   :-\

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
Bob, do you mean Pat Haden, as in the former QB who worked with Verne "Have you ever in your life..." Lundquist on NFL telecasts on TNT about a decade ago? Geez, if I'm Billy Payne, I've give Verne a membership just for his calls on the 16th hole.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
How many members does ANGC have? 

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
I've heard (or read) around 200....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
I should've voted for Swann when he ran for governor of Pennsylvania.  He'd have owed me a round ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
Bob, do you mean Pat Haden, as in the former QB who worked with Verne "Have you ever in your life..." Lundquist on NFL telecasts on TNT about a decade ago? Geez, if I'm Billy Payne, I've give Verne a membership just for his calls on the 16th hole.

Perhaps a better way to look at it is as Rhodes Scholar-NFL quarterback-lawyer-PE Pat Haden.

Hmm, this reminds me of an hilarious encounter with Lynn Swann, which of course I will not share via electronic means.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »
Gotta love those boys from USC.  

Haden was a senior when I was a freshman, 1974.  Haden was the QB when USC destroyed Notre Dame and put Ara Parseghian into retirement.  ND was leading SC 24-7 at the half and then USC scored 48 points in the 2nd half to win 55-24.  I'm counting on a repeat this Saturday.

As for Haden, below is his bio.  I'm not sure what club he plays at in Los Angeles?

He quarterbacked the University of Southern California to three Rose Bowl appearances and two national championships. In his final appearance for USC in the 1975 Rose Bowl, he was named co-MVP. In 1988, he was inducted into the GTE Academic All-American Hall of Fame and into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame in 1995.

He graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from USC in 1975. In 1978 he was named a Rhodes Scholar and studied philosophy, politics and economics at Oxford University. He received his Juris Doctorate from Loyola Law School in 1982 and in 1995 he was inducted into the National High School and Rose Bowl halls of fame.

A six-year veteran of the NFL, he played with the Los Angeles Rams from 1976-81. He was the Rams' 1976 Rookie of the Year, was named to the Pro Bowl in 1977 and was named the NFC Player of the Year in 1977 by the Washington, D.C., Touchdown Club.

Pat Haden joined Turner Sports in 1990 as analyst for TNT's coverage of NFL games. He is now paired with TNT's play-by-play announcer Verne Lundquist, a former CBS colleague, and analyst Mark May.

Haden also serves as a color analyst for CBS Radio's coverage of the NFL.

Currently, he is a partner in the Los Angeles venture capital firm Riordan, Lewis & Haden. Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan, Chris Lewis and Haden invest in promising companies, mostly in high-tech fields.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:07:53 AM »

Currently, he is a partner in the Los Angeles venture capital firm Riordan, Lewis & Haden. Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan, Chris Lewis and Haden invest in promising companies, mostly in high-tech fields.

I suspect that is the key part of his resume, that won his nomination. 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:11:23 AM »
When exactly is opening day and closing day? Is is "set" each year?
For the uninitiated, rumor was Oct. 1 and Memorial Day, but obviously that's incorrect.
(I want to make sure my clubs are in the car.)

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
Joel - don't count on the Trojans destroying the Irish Saturday.  They might beat them, but it won't be a thrashing.

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back