News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Any honest GCA confessions out there...
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
Bill:

My ever-shifting view of DC courses has RTJ, Congressional and Columbia as my top 3, in that order.  I really like Columbia but think it has a couple of so-so holes that keep it at that spot.

IMHO, one huge advantage RTJ has is that they get the maintenance meld right -- every time I've played there it's been appropriately firm and fast, which makes you really have to think on almost every shot. 

Glad to hear that about the maintenance meld at RTJ.  Every time I played there, three times, it was in the rainy season (summer) and the course was pretty soft.  I remember the first time I played there I birdied 11 and 12 with a half hour rain delay in between!

Doug Wright

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm not poking fun at myself but the following opinions, which I still hold, are generally out of whack with what people here would admit to: 

(1) Keystone Ranch (RTJ Jr.) is the best mountain course in central Colorado; and

(2) Heritage at Westmoor (Hurzdan, Fry) is one of the top 3 or 4 public courses in metro Denver, well above, for example, anything done by Mr. Engh.

Nothing earth-shattering, I realize, but that's what came to mind. 

Definitely out of whack Tim!

Then again, I think Denver's City Park GC has some redeeming GCA value...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
I enjoyed both Crab Meadow and Sunken Meadow on Long Island. Don't tell anyone...RHE

Robert,

Crab Meadow is not that bad!!  Now we both know you would have enjoyed Emmet's Northport CC that used to be on or near the Crab Meadow course!!! :)

Chris

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
the only real issue with this list is that you have Blackwolf River so far ahead of Disney!!!

Exactly 10 years ago, here's what my Top 20 looked like.

Blackwolf Run (River Course)
Whistling Straits
World Woods (Pine Barrens)
Kiawah (The Ocean Course)
TPC at Sawgrass (Stadium)
Blackwolf Run (Meadow Valleys)
World Woods (Rolling Oaks)
Eagle Ridge (The General)
Cog Hill (Dubsdread)
University Ridge
Disney (Osprey Ridge)
Geneva National (Palmer)
Kemper Lakes
Prairie View
The Bog
WeaverRidge
Pine Meadow
SentryWorld
White Columns
Cantigny

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »
I like many of the Tom Fazio courses that I've seen.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »
I'm really not a big Fazio fan, I think too many of his designs are of a type...However, I have to begrudgingly admit that the Glen Club is pretty darn good.  Particularly when you think that it was an airfield to begin with...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
"Anyone else out there willing to admit their first thoughts as they began their GCA education...."

Chip:

The courses I'm about to list I would not say were the beginning of my golf course architecture education (that wouldn't happen for many decades) but they certainly are the courses I first remember (because they were the only ones I knew).

I was a young teenager in Long Island and also in Daytona Beach Florida. I didn't play golf very much but my father did.

The ones I knew in Long Island;

1. Piping Rock
2. The Creek
3. The Links
4. NGLA
5. Shinnecock

The one I remember in Florida;

1. Daytona Beach GC.

If one asked me my basic impressions of the architectue (even though I wasn't thinking golf architecture back then) it was how bold the Macdonald/Raynor earthworks were on those courses in Long Island and how bland the one (Ross) was that way in Florida.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:13:53 AM by TEPaul »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »
Tom,

Is Daytona the same as today's New Smyrna Beach Golf Course?

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 01:38:16 PM »
In the winter of '93 I drove 3 hours - played in a pouring rain with a 3 club wind - broke 90 and it felt like 75 - didn't dry out til after we got home after another three hour drive - BUT, we played the best new public course in the country.

SANDPINES!!!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I really liked the Blue Monster at Doral when I played it a few years ago, and would love to play there again.  Same with the Great White course

Greens that are in great shape go a long way towards negating many of its GCA shortcomings.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
"Tom,

Is Daytona the same as today's New Smyrna Beach Golf Course?"

Kyle:

I doubt it because even 50 plus years ago Daytona was very distinct from New Symrna. Different towns.

But I'll tell you one thing, Kyle, had you bought any serious amount of real estate in either town west of RTE 1 back then you would be a very rich man today!  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
"Tom,

Is Daytona the same as today's New Smyrna Beach Golf Course?"

Kyle:

I doubt it because even 50 plus years ago Daytona was very distinct from New Symrna. Different towns.

But I'll tell you one thing, Kyle, had you bought any serious amount of real estate in either town west of RTE 1 back then you would be a very rich man today!  ;)

Two Ross courses in the same neighborhood. Interesting. New Smyrna Beach is touting themselves as Ross's last design, and it apparently opened well after his death. Brian Silva did a fairly good redo and I made the trip up from Mountain Lake one day and didn't regret it one bit.

My GCA Confession is that I'll play anywhere at least twice.

Dan Dingman

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »
I thought I knew GOLF before choosing to complete my Turfgrass Internship at The Creek in 97.

It changed my life!

DD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back