News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Starting tomorrow, Thurs., 10/14 - Get To Know Martin Bonnar
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Ahem.  Huhh. (sotto voce cough).  Ahem.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
Hello Martin!

Who'd you carry for at the tournament this year?

How is Jerry the fireman doing? Please give him my best!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
FBD

Why did you select the drums as your instrument of choice? 

When did you get into da blooz? 

What sort of music does (did?) your band play?

Ciao

Arbs,
you ALWAYS ask the goooood questions, bro!
I am actually REALLY quite a decent guitar player, but in most bands there's always plenty of 'decent' guitar players. One time, we were getting a band together and we had no drummer. The question went round the boys: "Anyone play drums?" I stupidly said: "No, but I have a mate with a drumkit"
"Okay, Marty boy - YOU'RE the Drummer then!"
So, MB picks up the kit from said pal and discovers a certain affinity with thrashing pigskin with sticks - maybe there's a golf parallel there!?!?!
Sure, it's not proper musicianship, but you still get the groupies!!! ;) (yea, maybe once upon a time...)

Re the Blooz. Man, there's something in the rhythms, beats, keys and style which just touches my soul. Everything form the Delta to Texas and Chicago. Even a bit of early Pink Floyd. Yea, baby!

And of course, I/We've always played bluesy stuff. Amongst soul covers, bits of rock and 60s/70s covers. Unfortunately, Lloyd C's still to invite me to play.... :-\ ;D

Currently in semi-retirement - but aye ready!

cheers,
Effers.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Okay, I am rested!

After you earned your degree on golf course architecture, I think you worked for the local authorities (county?) on renovation of their golf courses.  (If that's not correct, please correct me!)   What did you do, how many courses did you work on, how much did your book learning have to do with the actual work?  Were you able to inject your personal philosophy of golf design into that work?  Where has work that led in your career in golf design?

I always thought that experience was pretty cool for you at that stage, and look forward to hearing.........the rest of the story!

I'm getting to you, dearest Unc!! No need for the sotto voce stuff, Remember what happened at Great Aunt Maude's wake..... ;)

After degree, went to Local Authority to work in Parks Dept. They PROMISED I'd get to work on courses. Didn't materialise. Ended up doing lots of play facilities and amenity landscape design. Great fun too though!
Given that they might well be privatising or putting out to 'Trust' the council golf courses and that I am soon to be 'between jobs' it still might happen...
So, maybe this impending redundancy might be a good thing. I've always firmly believed in fate and, as my old Gran used to say:, "what's for ye, will no go bye ye".
yours in hopeful anticipation,
neffers Marty.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
Marty, it was great to meet up with you recently for a game. It would be good to get some further chat from you on the MSc course so we can compare notes. In the meantime.....

1 - ever caddied for anyone famous ?
got to meet a few celebs during Dunhill weekends. My best story: I was standing about a foot away from Michael Douglas and didn't even recognise him. The Camera LIES!!!!!!

2 - favourite hole on Kingsbarns and why ? actually, scrub that. If you could change any part of the course at Kingsbarns what would it be and why ?
Nah - I'm giving you the fave hole thing anyway! It's between two - 5 and 17. Odd choices maybe, but I got to see them played in many ways by golfers of all kinds of abilities. They all loved them. I'm gonna plump for 17 all-in cos it's a cracking good driving hole to a LZ which somehow manages to bring all nine - NINE! - bunkers into play followed by a challenging approach to a multi-tiered green and a great fun putting test. GREAT golf hole...
Something to change? Maybe put a bit more interest into #2, improve visibility of the 8th green from the tee, 11 needs a good kicking - the buried elephant is just pants. That's about it, though.

3 - now that you are no longer looking after paths in Fife, any plans to get more into the business ?
From April, this becomes moot as I will once again be available to the market!!!! ;D
4 - you live in Fife, why be a member of an inland course ?
A question I ask myself more and more often. Leven are offering ridiculously good deals at the moment and I may well succumb. I stupidly pay my subs a year ahead and will have to make a positive effort to cancel them. I am actually so p'd off with BPGC sometimes that I may well defect one of these days.
5 - from your travels abroad, the US, Spain, Portugal, England, Glasgow etc, what aspect of golf that you don't see in Fife that you would like to see ?
Wouldn't it be nice to see our ridiculous Scottish over-friendliness extended to courses elsewhere? I am so bored with people/clubs/organisations who are so up their own aerosols that it's painful...I think I may have just morphed into my father ;D
6 - when playing Cypress Point, why were you dressed ready to play Balbirnie on a wet winters day ?
best Q of all! We get to CPC at 7 in the morning and it is HEESING down. No, REALLY HEESING down. So much so that I fear we may not get out. So, we wander about a bit and it begins to clear up. In the Pro Shop a certain weel-kent GCAer shakes my hand and profers me his rain gear for the severe inclemency. (Given that he lives in the area, I doubt he's had much use of them this last twenty years or so!!!) Any way, I am much grateful of them for the first nine holes or so and eventually can't be bothered removing them. 
Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Q: If I fly to Scotland, drive toward Fife and stop somewhere to ring up FBD Manor...where would you and I go to have a friendly game, loser pays for wine at dinner?

Brent,
we will defo play one of my fave places - Glorious Gleneagles! and I'm paying!!!
(You're covering Dinner in Fairlie's though!!!!! :o)
woohoo!
FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
Hello Martin!

Who'd you carry for at the tournament this year?

How is Jerry the fireman doing? Please give him my best!

Phil,
not been caddying for a few years now. TOO BUSY with my real job - which of course is about to end. May have to go back to the Caddy gig again!!! Will my poor knees last the pace???
cheers,
FBD
PS Get the Book done, willya!?!?!?

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
Martin -

Have you stayed in contact with many of your fellows students from the program? If so, where do they stand? Does anyone have a course built yet? Did others find employment in the field?

I greatly look forward to teeing it up with you someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »
Whilst briefly in the GCA spotlight can I have a little comment for myself?

Top Three Favourite courses (so far in life…): Turnberry, Kingsbarns, Machrahanish (how predictable, eh?)

WOW!
How six years can change a life. I've been so lucky as to have seen/played places I only previously dreamed of. Mostly due to THIS PLACE.
CPC was quite simply a dream come true. So long imagined and never thought possible. Yet, wonderful things can happen.
This past year - Pine Valley. Looked at pictures, maps, histories, books, comments and all for years. Then the opportunity to actually play it. Having wishes in your heart is a good thing to do. Never under-estimate the power of friendship.
I want to re-iterate how good this place can be. I often get a a bit fed up with some of the egos present and some of the lack of understanding and some of the downright lack of respect for our fellow humans and their opinions.
This is a discussion group ostensibly about the design and construction of golf courses. No more, no less. Can we please try to keep it to that and to closely-related subjects.
Civility costs nothing. Friendship brings incredible things. I have made lifelong friends here. People have invited me into their homes and lives and I have reciprocated. I have had the good fortune to meet great people from all over this planet. I have been to weddings of GCAers, I have dined with them in Manhattan and Monterey, Aronomink and Anstruther, I have played golf with them on several continents. I have sailed, driven, flown and walked to golf courses to play golf with them. Perfect, they're not. Perfect, I'm not. But. like any other family, I'm prepared to put up with all their little faults and foibles cos underneath it all, they are my kin. They are interested in what I am. They care for the things I care for. They are my brothers (and sisters!).
This stuff is easy...
best,
FBD.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
Marty:

Thanks for the responses.  You answered my one-drink-for-life question; what about a course and a car?

Great thoughts about GCA, by the way.

Carl

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 05:36:17 PM »
Martin -

Have you stayed in contact with many of your fellows students from the program? If so, where do they stand? Does anyone have a course built yet? Did others find employment in the field?

I greatly look forward to teeing it up with you someday.

George,
just about every one of us keeps in contact. Most of the guys are still in the business. Some of them continue to post here. I wish mre did. Brian P is well-known to us all. A true gent and a man with his heart very firmly placed in the art of course design, I wish him much continued success.
We had the great opportunity to get together last year at the wedding of another MSc-er in Ireland. What a fine bunch of guys, I only wish we weren't quite so geographically spread.
cheers and thanks again for this - quite cathartic!,
MB.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
Marty:

Thanks for the responses.  You answered my one-drink-for-life question; what about a course and a car?

Great thoughts about GCA, by the way.

Carl

Carl
apologies! I had so many Q's to answer and clearly got a bit ahead of myself!!!
The Course Q is easy. I have said before and will go to my grave saying. If the Golf God came upon me one morning and told me there could be only ONE course I could play until I die, I would easily reply: "Why, Mr Golf God, please, may it be The Kings Course, Gleneagles, for it is the one I dream upon, the one I wish for, the one which I most easily call to mind, the one which best tests my game, the one set in the most beautiful landscape of my homeland, the one I lose myself upon, the one I truly love".
(Screenplay available for a small fee!)
Now as to Cars...
welllllllllllllll............
money no object - an original Shelby Cobra or maybe a Lambo Diablo or Ferrari just about any model. Realistically, probably a 911 (which I have promised myself before I die) or maybe a baby Aston Martin (name and UK car!!!)
cheers,
FBD.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 06:04:16 PM »
FBD

Why did you select the drums as your instrument of choice? 

When did you get into da blooz? 

What sort of music does (did?) your band play?

Ciao

Arbs,
you ALWAYS ask the goooood questions, bro!
I am actually REALLY quite a decent guitar player, but in most bands there's always plenty of 'decent' guitar players. One time, we were getting a band together and we had no drummer. The question went round the boys: "Anyone play drums?" I stupidly said: "No, but I have a mate with a drumkit"
"Okay, Marty boy - YOU'RE the Drummer then!"
So, MB picks up the kit from said pal and discovers a certain affinity with thrashing pigskin with sticks - maybe there's a golf parallel there!?!?!
Sure, it's not proper musicianship, but you still get the groupies!!! ;) (yea, maybe once upon a time...)

Re the Blooz. Man, there's something in the rhythms, beats, keys and style which just touches my soul. Everything form the Delta to Texas and Chicago. Even a bit of early Pink Floyd. Yea, baby!

And of course, I/We've always played bluesy stuff. Amongst soul covers, bits of rock and 60s/70s covers. Unfortunately, Lloyd C's still to invite me to play.... :-\ ;D

Currently in semi-retirement - but aye ready!

cheers,
Effers.

Thinking back on much earlier in your R&R career - much earlier  ;)  - who gets laid more, guitar players or drummers?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 06:20:09 PM »
In my experience it was always drummers when I was a guitar player and guitar players, when I was a drummer...maybe the chicks don't dig me.

Typical MB. NEVER there at quite the right time... ;D

bestest,
neffers.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
In my experience it was always drummers when I was a guitar player and guitar players, when I was a drummer...maybe the chicks don't dig me.

Typical MB. NEVER there at quite the right time... ;D

bestest,
neffers.

That sounds uncomfortably familiar - and I wasn't even a musician!

The chicks didn't seem to dig guys who lettered in golf.   :-[

Anthony Gray

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »

Marty,

Who would you like to share a hot tub with?

I believe you have played TOC in reverse possibly with Bill McBride, What hole played the most difficult and why?

Could you beet Bill McBride in an arm wrestling contest?

What is your favorite dinner place in St Andrews?

What does "Bugger Off" mean?

What is your favorite hidden gem course in Scotland?

Why did you avoid me last month? :)

Who has had more chicks, you or Ringo?

Have you had your face licked in a scotish hotel pub?

What is more important to you, your score or your experience?

Do you have a pair of plus-4's ?

What is your favorite after round meal?

How much do you love Cruden Bay?

What is your favorite hole at North Berwick?

Are you tired of all my questions?

How many times have you played with Gary Slater?

Have you met David Joy?

Have you played Castle Stuart?

What is your favorite hole at Kingsbarns?

Why do you like Turnberry more than Prestwick?

Why Las Vegas?

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
I was running late. Mr FBD paid my green fee so that we would not miss our tee time. He still has not let me pay him back, and I will someday in Fife.

Friend for life after about 3 or 4 holes.

I have a similar tale, only it was at Crail's Craigshead course and I was able to repay Mr. Marty that very afternoon by springing for the Balcombie course green fees. It was a beautiful sunny day (our gracious host Mr. Mark Perce also in attendance), with a lunch break in Anstruther and a post round round in the Golf Hotel. Good times with good chaps.

My questions:
How is it that you've played all the great courses within an hour or two of my lifelong hometown, while I have not? Do you dress up as McBride for Halloween?

When are you going to make it out to Bandon? I insist that you invite me along.

Would you be willing to design a course for free (materials and expenses covered), just to get you foot in the door?

Are there any GCAs practicing in Europe that you think deserve more discussion on the website?

How long will it take for the coastal path to wash away without your keen insights to prevent armegeddon?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
(Metaphorically speaking)

30 seconds left on the clock, the game is tied, who do you get the ball to; Mackenzie or Colt?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Martin,

Your three favorite songs on which to beat the skins. Thanks.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Brian Phillips

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:10 AM »
Martin,

I have never been called a gentleman before.  I have been called many other things though!

1.  Who introduced you to gca.com...?   ;)

2.  What did you think of all of us on here at the start? Be honest...I remember

3.  What was the best part of the year studying?

4.  What was the worst part?

5.  Are you still a Disney freak?

6.  I think we were extremely lucky (or Mike did a great job picking students) the year we studied in that everyone of us on the course truly loves Golf Course Architecture.  What were the most important things you learnt that year?  The answers do not have to be only GCA related.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Walter Bart

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
HI Martin

When I met you at Dornoch this summer, it was your first time playing there. How would you rate it in your favorites list?

Did any holes, features, ,etc. surpise you or make a major impression?

Norbert P

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
Martin,

What is your favorite Gene Krupa album?  

How can a landscaper afford to travel to Vegas? Do you plant money trees?

Did you play cartball in America?  

If he told you that you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against Rees Jones?

Did CPC and/or Pine Valley change your ideals of golf design?

Have you mastered Carl Palmer's drum solo from the live version of Karn Evil 9?

Would you chip in money for the "Get George Pazin On A Plane To Golf The World Fund" ?  (No one person is worthier.)

What is your favorite tree?  Pinus sylvestris, Quercus rubra, or perhaps from your recent stateside travels, the Cupressus macrocarpa?

Do you have Kate Winslet's phone number?

Does Scotland get the Craig Ferguson (Scottish expatriate and ex punk rock drummer!) late night talk show?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:52:16 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jay Flemma

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »
Give a short list of your fave places to play that are not major venues in the UK.

Jay,
nice one, cos you know I have a bunch of 2nd/3rd tier places that I KNOW most GCAers would LOVE:

Here's just a few.
Fife
St Michaels (the 9 OTM holes anyway!). Kinghorn - a great fun HOOT. Short and possibly even Painswickian in quirk. Always gotta big-up Pitreavie. The only MacK in Fife. A great history lesson for those with eyes to see.

Rest of Scotland
Southerness - so far off the beaten path, but really well worth the effort if in the SW of Scotland. Alyth - I've spoken of before. I LOVE glaciated landscapes used for golf courses and, second only to the majesty of Gleneagles, this is one of Scotland's best.

To my shame, I haven't yet played in Wales (too busy going abroad!) or Ireland (too busy drinking!) and only played the BIG names in England which have been well covered here before - add. although Goswick is a true wee gem.

cheers,
FBD.

Thanks Martin!  OK, next, same question, just in the USA!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »

Howdy Brother.
What are you working on this month?
How is it helping your GCA future?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

Marty,

Who would you like to share a hot tub with?
Ant, if you're not available then it'll just have to be the pulchritudinous Charlize Theron
  I believe you have played TOC in reverse possibly with Bill McBride, What hole played the most difficult and why?
I thought it was probably the reverse 17th (playing as the 2nd) which has just the wildest set of bunkers imaginable
  Could you beet Bill McBride in an arm wrestling contest?
Only if I'd plied him with several Kummels first...
  What is your favorite dinner place in St Andrews?
I almost NEVER dine in St A. I am hearing bad things about the Indian places and everything else is over priced. The Seafood place gets GREAT reviews though.
  What does "Bugger Off" mean?
Roughly translated it means "Be off, you oafish ruffian".
  What is your favorite hidden gem course in Scotland?
I'm going for Alyth again.
  Why did you avoid me last month? :)
Once I knew you were coming, I had to quickly re-arrange my entire vacation schedule to get away. Have you any idea how expensive it is to change flight schedules these days? Worth it, though. Phew....
  Who has had more chicks, you or Ringo?
Defo the Ringster. Barbara Bach....mmmmmmmmm!
  Have you had your face licked in a scotish hotel pub?
No, but I HAVE had my kilt lifted in a german beer hall. So I got that going for me... ;D
  What is more important to you, your score or your experience?
Too EASY! EXPERIENCE. I couldn't care less how I score.
  Do you have a pair of plus-4's ?
No, but I did have a lovely pair of moleskin breeches which I used to fish in. They shrunk - or I grew...
  What is your favorite after round meal?
CURRY!!!
  How much do you love Cruden Bay?
I haven't played it - yet...
  What is your favorite hole at North Berwick?
Oh, tricky - maybe The Pit....although I love the Redan (and the Redanman!!!)
  Are you tired of all my questions?
Impossible.
  How many times have you played with Gary Slater?
Never, unfortunately. He did set me and the Vostinaks up for the Torrance though. Thanks again. Gary!
  Have you met David Joy?
Never. I may have met OTM though...
  Have you played Castle Stuart?
At those prices????? Doh!
  What is your favorite hole at Kingsbarns?
Answered before - probably 17.
  Why do you like Turnberry more than Prestwick?
Only cos I haven't played Prestwick. Redanman LOVES it!!!
  Why Las Vegas?
Why not? Topless shows, free drinks, SMOKING INDOORS!!!!
  Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back