News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Legacies in Golf Course architecture......
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
I was once told that there were only two ways to get into GCA....either be born in or get lucky.....
With the current times many good associates/assistants etc are not working but I will read where "architect A and his son did this work" etc.....now don't go off on a tangent and say I am trashing sons of architects....I am not....I wish my son was interested....my question is this.....in 10 years with a period where not many guys have been trained due to lack of work.....will we see the same names??  And how many will do it because it was there vs. how many will carry a passion?   Blood is thicker than water and most know of instances where partners in firms have split due to sons coming of age etc...and I know of sons working that could care less yet passionate former employees are not...what does it do to the business......I think it is a legitimate question...rework of ones courses are there to be done and who else better than a family member.....oh well.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

Re: Legacies in Golf Course architecture......
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »

Mike,

I think you are correct. The lak of work will definatly keep sons away. Maybe your surveyor will take your mantle.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
Mike,

Isn't your business all about keeping up with the Jones' ?

GCA is now a 'big business' (present downturn excepted) and as such, brand names are so much easier to sell.   

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »

Mike,

I think you are correct. The lak of work will definatly keep sons away. Maybe your surveyor will take your mantle.

Anthony

Look Dentist dude,
You misread me.....r u disk lex hick?
The potential problem I see is blood before talent......the lack of work makes you get rid of talent before family...understandable but what does it do for the future?

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
Mike,  a look at the big downturn in the 1930's and 1940s support might support your premise.    The Jones family seems to have emerged from it okay as did the Bell family.     "Mom and pop" (and son or daughter) operations might be best suited to withstand tough times.    I agree that this might not make for the best courses though. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
Mike,

Would you be interested in adopting me?

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
Mike
Are you saying golf architecture isn't as good today as it could have been from nepotism and inbreeding?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
Mike
Are you saying golf architecture isn't as good today as it could have been from nepotism and inbreeding?

Mike,
I'm sort of saying the opposite.....when there is a period of almost no new courses then people are laid off at firms and they get into something else...but family usually stays....whether they are good or not.....
In TN inbreeding has almost destroyed dentistry..... ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »

Mike,

Anthony

Look Dentist dude,
You misread me.....r u disk lex hick?
The potential problem I see is blood before talent......the lack of work makes you get rid of talent before family...understandable but what does it do for the future?

Hey you rambling wreck......I ment that there will be less courses being built so the demand for a legacy will not be there. Why do you think I moved from West Virginia?...............No Teeth.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »

Tony Ristola

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:12:31 PM »
Mike
LOL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
Mike

Mike,
I'm sort of saying the opposite.....when there is a period of almost no new courses then people are laid off at firms and they get into something else...but family usually stays....whether they are good or not.....

Both Mikes:

Absolutely right on.  The two biggest firms in the business have let go several well-known associates who have not much to do now; but of course their sons and sons-in-law and nephews are still on the payroll.

I am really proud of my son for NOT wanting to be a golf course architect.  But if he had been interested, I know he would have been crucified by all the other SOA's out there.  [SOA = Son of Architect]

The real legacy is Pete Dye's because there are so many of us non-family members who are on our own.  None of us ever had the security of being on a payroll, so we had to learn to roll with the punches in the economy.

paul cowley

Re: Legacies in Golf Course architecture...... New
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
I've discouraged my sons too.... this is not an easy business to come up through the ranks in....the only way can be a tough experience for most of those who do...which is something I don't really want to pass on....for their sake.
Now if for some reason they had a craving and true passion, then I'd help.

Not a whole lot of room for marshmallows to rise to the top...even for those born into the Game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:18:07 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back