News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: Have they lost their minds ?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »
Tom:

You should talk to Lost Dunes.  I played there last Monday and the greens had to be rolling at 12 - at least.

The greens were almost totally unplayable.

Fun course though...

JMEvensky

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
JME:  I'd agree with your first and third points but not necessarily your second point.  How many examples can you cite of a golf course superintendent that tried to convince the membership to slow down the greens?

Crystal Downs had a couple of years with the greens at the "optimum" speed of 11 every day, before the membership finally relented and backed it off a bit this year.

Apologies to Pat Mucci for the thread jack but,since you asked...

The only example I can cite with assurance is the Super at my place.He was given carte-blanche to explain how he'd maintain the golf course if it were 100% his call.One of the things he mentioned was green speed.His point was that a lot of members really thought they were too fast for their skill levels but were afraid to complain because of their perceived standing as "bad golfers" and that slowing the greens would amount to dumbing down the golf course.

Relative to WFW,our greens are pancake-flat and slow as molasses.But,outside of a handful of clubs,I'd bet that our membership is pretty average with regard to skill level.

As has been stated here many times before,it's all about knowing your audience.

Steve Kline

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »
I agree with the comments that these clubs are crazy.

For me faster greens isn't necessarily what I want. I want greens that are true. Couldn't clubs roll the greens more and mow less? Is there any advantage to this at all?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
JMEvensky:

Better keep the name of your club and your superintendent to yourself, or I will steal him away.

What a great idea, though ... every club should ask their superintendent what he or she would do if they were spending their own money on the course.  I've asked the same thing of the agronomists who spec mix for greens, and most of them say they wouldn't build USGA greens themselves.

JMEvensky

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
JMEvensky:

Better keep the name of your club and your superintendent to yourself, or I will steal him away.

What a great idea, though ... every club should ask their superintendent what he or she would do if they were spending their own money on the course.  I've asked the same thing of the agronomists who spec mix for greens, and most of them say they wouldn't build USGA greens themselves.

Just by coincidence,we actually have 2 members with turfgrass degrees.One works for a big chemical company and the other for a maintenance equipment manufacturer.They lend weight to the idea that the only guy making maintenance decisions SHOULD be the guy with the degree.

Still,as you probably know better than I,every club Board member is an expert on maintaining the golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back