News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

The Cardinal G&CC, Greensboro, NC (Pete Dye)
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
The W&L golf team's final tournament of the fall is in 12 days--the O'Briant Invitational hosted by Guilford College.  The Cardinal is a club recently taken over by the McConnell group, with apparently very positive results.  Anyone played it and have some thoughts or advice?  I found nothing in the search function about it, really.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jay Kirkpatrick

Re: The Cardinal G&CC, Greensboro, NC (Pete Dye)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
very tough course... that dye greatly improved in the recent renovation.  the course plays longer than it shows on the card.  i'd say at least half the greens are elevated and require mid-long iron second shots.  in general, i think the course favors left-right hitters off the tee, but to score well, you'll need every club/shot in your bag.  dye calls the par 3 12th hole the hardest par 3 hes ever created (and thats saying something).

Greg Holland

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
I agree with Jay -- the renovation improved the course, but it is quite tough.  They lengthened the course over 400 yards so that it plays at 7002 yards from the tips as a par 70.  Many holes are pretty narrow, creeks and other water hazards are used throughout, and on many holes -- if you miss the green you are in real trouble.  The greens also are usually kept quite fast (but roll true).  Kris Spence did the construction work on the recent renovation by Dye (and I believe Tim Liddy).  Also, if I recall, Bill Coore worked with Dye on the original layout in 1975 or so.

The Annual Cardinal Amateur played there is big on the amateur tournament circuit, with a great list of past champions.

AndrewB

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »
Thanks Andrew.  The search didn't pull that thread up.  Good stuff.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
The Cardinal, sadly, is not nearly as big on the summer amateur circuit as it once was.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back