News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Smith

Re: Prairie Club Short Course "Horse" Pix Posted
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
They have posted their fee schedule for those looking to make a trip out there next year.

http://www.theprairieclub.com/#golf-fee-schedule

The HORSE course is complimentary.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
Those public rates are pretty close to what Bandon charges in peak season.

I know PC is new, but for those who have been there and also the BD resort, do you think the offerings stack up?

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »

I'll second the disappointment. Can someone explain to me how Lehman and Chris Brands got the "big" course and Hanse and Shack got the par 3? And please don't tell me because Lehman has the "name", it's not like we are talking Jack or Arnie.

What precisely are Shackleford's credentials?

Mike

What are Lehman's?

Geoff oversaw the work recently done at La Cumbre and is in the midst of returning LACC North (w/ Gil and Jim of course) to it's original glory. He compliments Gil very well and they make a hell of a team.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tony Weiler

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
The photos are great.  Looks like two wonderful layouts.  Only a 8 hour drive for me, with Sutton Bay in between!!!  Might be a road trip next summer.

Jason Hines

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »
Anthony, I am 525 miles away as well.  Where are you coming from?
I understand the pricing strategy, in the end they want you to join.  I don’t believe you can join Bandon?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »
Good point Jason. The other major diference will be need for the golf to capture ones soul versus having the ocean to stimulate the bodies electrons. I suspect the cost analysis will be comparable. The perfect scenario-- PC in the summer Bandon in the winter. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »
Speaking of winter, snowing today up there Adam?

I have said this 100 times on this board, there is something that captures your soul about the Sand Hills of Nebraska in and of itself.  Throw in quality golf and it will and does keep people coming back.

J.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
You bet it is. There appears to be about 7-8 inches on the ground (predicted 3 for the whole weekend) with drifts in the two to three feet range.

With the Believers cup next weekend, I suspect we'll earn the title.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony Weiler

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
Jason, I live in Bismarck.  Snowing and cold here today.  About 430 miles to PC, and Sutton Bay is about half way, give or take. 

Jason Hines

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
Anthony,
We missed the snow today in Kansas City by 100 miles, 41 for a high and only 25 degrees below normal. I mowed this morning in 33 degrees and howling wind.
My route to PC would take me at least by Wild Horse in Gothenburg and next year hopefully Awarii Dunes in Kearney.
Jason

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
 8) Adam,

Glad we visited the region 2 weeks ago!  I guess Fall can be harder than Winter there!

"..we offer yardages summarizing the range of distances possible:

1:  60-90 yards
2:  50-115 yards
3:  30-85 yards
4:  65-125 yards
5:  45-105 yards
6:  40-125 yards
7:  55-110 yards
8:  40-105 yards
9:  60-140 yards
10: 40-125 yards

Total: 485-1,125 yards

Having grown up playin a lot of Par3 golf, typically carrying P, 9, 7 & 3 irons, I'm surprized there aren't a couple of longer holes there..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »
Seve, It's not your typical everyday par 3 course, with a normalized routing, where one hole might be long enough to use a 3 iron. The sophisticated concept at work here is the free form nature of the G.C. I'll admit to not giving every green as careful of a look as I would've or could've on my own. But, as I recall, the area the HORSE occupies is pretty much L shaped with the hypothenuse between the tips maybe being a 170 yards, Those are all very obtuse guesses which I know you'll appreciate. 8)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:25 AM »
Adam, you write about Ballyneal with a reverence that is inspiring.  Can you see yourself writing about the Prairie Club courses like that? 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:29 AM »
Jim. I won't know until I play them. I saw features that looked awefully fun to utilize like kickplates. I also commented to the super how fortunate I was to be there on that day because no rough lines were distinguishing lines of play. I thought it looked fundamentally sound just the way it was.  The par 3 17th on the marsh course was the epitome of what I'm talking about. The lack of definiton was thrilling to look at knowing how uncomfortable something that simple will affect the better golfer. 

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »
Steve,
The yardage range was very much intentional. We really wanted this to be a course you take 2 or 3 clubs and a putter around. We just thought it'd be more fun and a little less burdensome that way. Hopefully they'll create some cool little club stands on the tees, or maybe have some little bags for those who want to take more clubs than 3 around.

We also have a loop of holes consisting of 1-2-8-10 where you only need putter. And I'm sure some heartier souls will go out with just a sand wedge and do the one-club thing. Frankly, we hope some different games and scenarios unfold. Anything in the name of fun.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
Geoff-

Whats with all this "fun" stuff....golf is supposed to be a game of walking gentleman where par is hard and bogey is easy...all this fun gets in the way.... :-)

Chip

Steve Lang

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »
Adam, Geoff,

I appreaciate very much what appears to be built there and what's trying to be accompished.. 

I should have mentioned that my historic par three club selection noted above was during ages 9-14 or so..  there used to be a corner in NW Toledo where i grew up (Monroe & Talmadge) that had a par three, a Pitch & Putt, and a Putt-Putt course within close proximity..  truly a short game breeding ground..  Last time I played a par three in michgan at a little local course, i used only a 9-iron..

i like it. 

I wonder how many practice ranges could be turned into par three's???
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
Seve, Black Mesa's driving range transforms into a kids course. Genius, I tell you.

Chip, That's classic.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »
Tetherow's turns into a kids course/par three every Sunday night which is cool.

Love the Horse Course idea - especially at a place like PC where it provides a great warm up to your stay on the property if you arrive in the late aft, it provides some fun pre/post dinner "fun" golf opps throughout the visit, along with a fantastic training ground for anyone's short game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back