News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Hole-By-Hole Description of Old MacDonald (pdf attached)
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
I was hitting the ball well off the tee that day at Lundin and was pretty well warmed up by #16!  I don't think we were playing from the tips, but also don't remember having any trouble driving to about 20 yards short of hole high about 50 yards right of the green.

The best line on #17 is over the pole or just left, so that little fairway is off to the right and hidden by the hill.  It also runs out pretty quickly.

This is all based on just two rounds at Lundin so I could well be all wet!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »
Yes, Bryan, the 17th at Lundin Links is very short ... something like 330 or 340 yards.  That's why I believe Macdonald must have remembered playing the hole as a teenager, with a gutty ball, and not in the early 1900's when he made his trips back to the UK looking for the best holes.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

Is there water on the Cape Hole?

Anthony

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
Anthony:
Whaaaaaaa?????
Whhaat you asking??  Whater??  Whaa?
Tom
the pres

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
Anthony:
Whaaaaaaa?????
Tom

Great post Tom. Is there a hazard that has to be driven over on the cape hole? See you in a couple of months. Also are there any walking paths at Old Mac like the one on the ridge at 18 on Pac?

Best,

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »
Anthony:
Whaaaaaaa?????
Tom

Great post Tom. Is there a hazard that has to be driven over on the cape hole? See you in a couple of months. Also are there any walking paths at Old Mac like the one on the ridge at 18 on Pac?

Best,

Anthony

I think Tom Doak said the hazard to be carried or avoided is gorse and rough, daunting enough, and it's not blind.

Or was that the Road Hole?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
That is correcto, Bill.  Gorse and sand and substantial roughage is the cape hole risk.

For a shorter hitter like myself, playing out to the center of the fairway and away from the cape hazards, regardless of the wind conditions, is the best play, I've found.  Yet from there the play into the green is not without challenge, as there are two substantial diagonal ridges in the first third of the green, with a front to back cant to the surface after that. 
I have found the hole to be fun, a word that continues to be the operable sense of the play at Old Mac.......FUN.

Best,
Tom
the pres

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »

Tom,

Is there a clubhouse and resturaunt at Old Mac?

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
That is correcto, Bill.  Gorse and sand and substantial roughage is the cape hole risk.

For a shorter hitter like myself, playing out to the center of the fairway and away from the cape hazards, regardless of the wind conditions, is the best play, I've found.  Yet from there the play into the green is not without challenge, as there are two substantial diagonal ridges in the first third of the green, with a front to back cant to the surface after that. 
I have found the hole to be fun, a word that continues to be the operable sense of the play at Old Mac.......FUN.

Best,
Tom

Thanks, Tom.  Can't wait to see it, been too long since my last Bandon visit.  Hope you are doing well.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Old_Macdonald.html

Photos of the preview holes just in case anyone wants a little visual to go with the hole description.

I won't start blabbering on about how much I enjoyed the round at OM and how fun it was because the full eighteen is not open yet and the other eight holes might consist of some real dogs . . .  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back