News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

54 Hole Days
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:27:04 AM »
As a carry on of Bill Satterfield's 36 hole thread. How many on here have played 54 holes in a day, especially on different courses?

I have considered doing the Leven/Lundin/Elie triple in a day as those Scottish summer days are mighty long. Of course, I'm not fit enough at the moment, but it might be something I work towards for my 2011 trip back to Scotland.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: 54 Hole Days
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
I've certainly done 54 in a day on a few occasions... Never on different courses though... That would just be a chore (or a challenge)...

Also in simpler days when the round was not much more than 3 hours (p.s. i'm only talking about 20 years ago)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »
Couple of years ago I played Merion West (cart), Merion East (walk) and Aronimink (walk) in a day. We did it in early June, and thankfully the humidity was down. Really lots of fun and I would do it again.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Cory Lewis

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
54 a day, no problem, three different courses?  no problem, done it a bunch, If I drive a long way, I'm playing at least 2, maybe three times.  This year i played:

Columbia/Chevy Chase/Congressional

Champions(both)/Crown Colony

Brickyard Crossing/Broadmoor/Wolf Run

Creek/Engineers/Deepdale

Boston GC/Pinehills/Waverly Oaks

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:07:36 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Matt OBrien

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
Sand Hills. And the best pary was that it was different each time

Bandon dunes/ Pacific dunes/Bandon crossings
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:21:33 PM by Matt OBrien »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »
Only had a couple that I can recall

First day on a golf cousre - all 54 holes at Medinah at age 12.

Gleneagles, Scotland, 1980, first ASGCA meeting.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Shane Wright

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:27:35 AM »
Pacific Dunes a little over 3 years ago....we just couldn't stop.  We would have kept going if there was anymore daylight.  Anyone here have the caddy "Vegas" in Bandon?   He was absolutely hilarious when we said we were going to play 54...he made us take everything out of our bags except for about 4-6 balls. 

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »
I've walked 54 at the old Virginia Tech Golf Course back in college.  Not nearly as glamourous as the above courses but certainly cheaper, $6 - TOTAL.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »
I've done it numerous times, all on public courses. Heck, anyone can do it on the private courses, theres not that much traffic.
Be the ball

Frank Pont

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
At Cruden Bay, a couple of years ago...

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
Did Pac/Bandon/Pac for a memorable 54 w/ Jim Tang.  Have done 54 at Ballyneal a few times and it's always a blast.

Jason Connor

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
My favorite 54 hole day:  I played the Lake & Links at Grand National, drove the 90 minutes to Capital Hill, then played the Judge in the rain.

The only other time I played 54 was all at the same course.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
A friend and I played as a 2-some first tee time of the day in June at Bandon Dunes....went over to Trails for replay an hour and half before our scheduled time...had to wait for them to fire up the grill to get a hot dog but we were told that no groups were in front of us...Went to Pacific for our 3rd round and had to wait as there were foursomes stacked in front of us...as we played (as a 2-some again)...we would play out one hole, throw a few balls into some of the strangest spots we had ever played from, and worked around the greens until we figured the group in front was off the next hole, then play the next hole/catch up/goof around the next green...Loved it...I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
Does 45 count at all?

Just last week played 18 at Crescent Pointe near Hilton Head (mostly walked while my buddy drove the cart with my bag) then went to Secession and walked/carried 27 more.  Not bad, considering I'll be 49 in a few weeks.  (Of course, it was child's play compared to the 1-day, 140-mile bike ride I did from Augusta to Savannah this past Saturday!)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
Haven't done it in a while - pretty easy to get done at Bandon if you are there during the summer. Trails is a tough final 18 if you have done Pac and Bandon Dunes previously - especially without a caddie.

Used to play 54 a day all the time in Ireland during the summers - those were the days!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
My favorite 54 hole day:  I played the Lake & Links at Grand National, drove the 90 minutes to Capital Hill, then played the Judge in the rain.

The only other time I played 54 was all at the same course.

For sure you weren't walking, right Jason?   ??? ;D

There are what feel like half mile treks from green to tee at Opelika, and just getting back up to the clubhouse at the Judge would be tough on foot!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
Several years ago, I played Eisenhower Park GC - Red Course, Bethpage Green and Bethpage Black all in one day.  The Black Course was not on the itinerary; however, when I finished the Green, I noticed there was no one on the tee at the Black (light rain).  I went into the shop and paid $17.00 to play at twilight and fished the 18th hole just as it was getting dark.  Oh yeah, I walked all 54.  That was a very good day of golf.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
It was closer to 30 hours rather than 24, but the trifecta of Maidstone, Shinnecock, and Bethpage Black was my best ever.  2.5 rounds at Ballyneal in one day was the best this season.

Cheers,
Brad

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
Crystal Downs/Arcadia Bluffs/Kingsley Club
I also did 100 holes in a day for a charity outing. I would not do that again.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
There are two presentations in the locker room at Rye where by an old boss of mine one Hugh Blenkin played 100 holes in a day, 10 years later when he was around mid to late 60s he played 100 holes on the shortest day of the year, light form about 0800-1600hrs!! Thats 5 1/2 rounds in 8 hours.
Cave Nil Vino

tlavin

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
I have friends who play all four courses at Cog Hill on the Summer Solstice every year.  That's a lot of golf in one day.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
As a young man (and soldier) in my early 20's one of my golfing buddies and I routinely WALKED 54 holes at least once per week while stationed at Fort Jackson.

In 2006 I played 9 holes at The Wolverine, 18 at High Pointe and then 18 at Arcadia Bluffs, all in the same day.

This past July, in a cart though, we played 3 different 18 hole courses which was TOUGH. We played Bay Harbor, Ross Memorial and then The Moor course at Boyne Resort in Michigan. About 1/2 of the second round was played in a downpour!  We started at 8am and finished at close to 9pm.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
I played 54 holes at Troon North two summers ago - carts on the path, but a fun day.  After morning round in a little over 3 hours went in to pay for my replay.  Cart guys told me to go off back nine of then-Pinnacle because group which had just finished that nine and was moving to the front took 3 hours to play nine holes!  Finished the back nine (alone), and caught them on the 4th hole.  After finishing the front nine, and being no where near the clubhouse, decided to play the front nine again.  Caught that same foursome on the 8th tee -- now dragging because the cart girl had gone home.  Since I had finished 45 holes in about 3 hours, figured I might as well go up to the back nine on the Pinnacle to complete the 54 holes.  When I went up to pay for my 2nd replay, the guy behind the counter laughed and said don't worry about it.  About 8 hours in a cart, two lost balls in the desert, but a fun day. . .

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
As the greens committee chairman (i.e., he was called early in the morning to mow the fairways when the super took drunk the night before a tournament) at Rolling Hills CC in Ripley, TN my dad received the complimentary use of a cart, which I appropriated, routingly playing 63 a day on the 3000 yards nine-holer.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
I've done 54 holes while playing different courses a few times.  Here is what I've done in no particular order:

1.  A Jim Engh day that included Fossil Trace, Red Hawk Ridge, and Pradera.
2.  Ironbridge, Sonnenalp, and Country Club of the Rockies in the Veil, CO area.
3.  Spyglass Hill, Poppy Hills, and Spanish Bay
4.  A 63 hole day that included Buffalo Hill, Big Mountain, and all 27 holes at Eagle Bend (Montana).
5.  Both Whitefish courses and Meadow Lake in Northern Montana.

There are probably others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back