News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Jenkins

New poster from Boston
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »
Hi everyone... I am a former lurker, first time poster. My name is Andrew and I am a 26 years old currently residing in Boston. I played basketball in college, but my body doesn't take well to the physical beating of the game (I'm sure most of you know father time is undefeated in these matters), so I took up golf a couple years ago. I am a member of Granite Links Golf Club in Quincy, MA, and play to an 11 HC. I love playing and reading about different courses, but I'll admit as relatively new golfer I am not particularly well versed in field Golf Course Architecture. Consider me a blank slate when it comes to GCA; you all have a young mind to mold. I look forward to discussing the game with all of you and possibly meeting some fellow GCAers in the future. Thanks for having me!

Cheers

PS - I am headed out to San Fran tomorrow to catch the Presidents at Harding. What's your favorite track in the area (besides the obvious SFGC, Oly Club, etc.. Looking for something accessible to the common man such myself)

Brad Tufts

Re: New poster from Boston
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
Hi Andrew,

I live in Boston as well, and I hit balls often at Granite Links as my office is nearby.  My club is up on the North Shore, so I'm always here, there, and everywhere.

We'll have to get together for a round or something later this Fall or next Spring....

What are your favorite courses you have played in New England?

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »
Welcome Andrew! 

Can we rely on you to be the unofficial GCA.com reporter for the Presidents Cup?!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »
Andrew:

Welcome.

Try to visit Pasatiempo.  It is probably one of the ten most discussed courses on this site because it is a Mackenzie that the public can play.  It is also a lot cheaper than the Monterrey alternatives.

I also recommend the following reading:

Anatomy of a Golf Course - Tom Doak
Grounds for Golf - Geoff Shackelford

Combine those two books with the George Bahto feature interviews on this site and you will have a solid primer on GCA. 

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
Pasatiempo.

I'm a 50 year old ex-college basketball player.  Hi, and welcome.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
Welcome to another New Englander and architecture novice!  Will welcome your impressions of NE golf, at least on the public side.  Have played most of the quality NE publics but not Granite Links.  Seems over priced and perhaps overrated.  Do you think it deserves its lofty rankings compared with other publics in Massachusetts?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
Welcome Andrew,

I've played basketball, went to College and hail from near Boston; I believe this qualifies me to welcome you to the site also!

What do you think, Red Sox in 5?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »
My brief take on Granite Links is, yes, overrated, and yes, overpriced.

However, the views are nice, and there are some decent holes.

I suppose if any course only 8 miles from downtown should charge $100+, then Granite Links should.  It keeps the course a bit less crowded for the membership certainly.  I just wish you could play 9 there after work for less than $60...ouch.

But #60-whatevever public in the US?  Please.  I could name 10 better ones in MA alone.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
Welcome fellow New Englander.  I look forward to your thoughts on the local courses. 

As a golf course, views aside, GL pales in comparison to George Wright in Boston.    And you can play 3 rounds there for the same price as 1 at GL!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »
Great old nine hole full length course near the Airport, Gleneagles Interantional.

http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andrew Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »
Hi and thanks everyone. I need to clarify that my trip out here is to visit grad schools at Stanford and Cal, so I won't be a reliable Pres cup source (not attending until the weekend). I will give you all a report when I get to a computer, typing on the phone is proving to be tedious. I'll also give you my take on granite links and the other NE courses when I get to back to Boston.

I'm heading down to visit Stanford tomorrow. What are the chances theyll let a prospective student on the Stanford course. No harm in calling and asking right?

Thanks again for the input and I'll report back after my trip.

Cheers

Andrew Jenkins

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
Ok so I made it to three courses on my trip out west, the highlight being Pasatiempo. Thanks for pushing me to make the trip and fork up the dough; it was money well spent. We had a great day and it was nice to get such a masterpiece under my belt. The bunkers really stood out to me and looked awesome with the bright white sand on a sunny day. Reflecting on the round, its funny how the holes that stick out in my mind are the holes I either played really well (14th lets me play my natural fade into that angled green) or the holes in which I didn't play well (16th I left myself with wayyyy to long a put, and the left pin on the 18th caused my fading ball to have no chance at hitting it close and setup the inevitable three put). Awesome experience all around, left me thinking about the shots I need to develop in order to become a better player.

Peacock Gap was as advertised - A fun course with some good holes and some real strange green features (I can't even explain some of them, but let's just say I felt like Happy Gilmore at happy land mini golf)

The Presidio is a cool spot on the city; the trees are breathtaking, and the course was in good shape except for the most important part - the greens! They were way too bumpy for my liking, but fun nonetheless.

So I guess the popular opinion on Granite Links is somewhat negative, but I'll give you my take. The most important thing for me joining there was the steeply discounted young adult program, combined with the proximity to the city and lockers and club storage etc. I don't own a car so I am often riding my bike up to the course or bumming a ride, so the ability to keep my clubs there is critical. I know there are some private clubs in the area that would offer the same, but I don't have the clout, money, or patience to sit on a waiting list to join the usual suspects. I will admit the course itself has its share of questionable holes, but I love the fact that the greens are typically in great shape and roll true. I think the best part of the course is its collection of par 3's. Granite four is a classic redan style with the wind being a huge factor. Granite 7 is my favorite hole on the course. This hole is all about distance control; a two tiered green that is wide but not long from back to front. A shot too long leaves you with a difficult downhill chip or shot out of the bunker which is nearly impossible to keep on the upper level. A shot too short ends up in the hazard.

I guess my biggest complaint with the course is the fact that the greens play hard and fast like a links style course should, but there are some holes that require a long approach which ideally a shot that runs up to the green would be the play, but the fairways aren't as hard as they should be in combination with the greens. This often makes it hard to reach the green some type of shot short of the green and running it up, which you should be able to do if it is so hard to fly the ball all the way to the green and hold it.

All in all, I do like the experience at GLGC. I might be singing a different tune if I had to pay 120 or whatever per round, but the young adult membership makes it worth it for me.

Oh year, only members can walk too. I guess one of the other big knocks on the course is that there are often long green to tee walks, but I guess for me this isn't that important. The way I look at it is if I have to spend another 15 minutes outside carrying my bag, the less time I'll be spending inside screaming at the sox/pats/celts on TV.

Cheers

/Users/andyjj14/Desktop/G_7b.jpg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back