News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

These guys are good...
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
I note that Ross McGowan, world ranked 177 leads the Madrid Masters by 7, having shot a 12 under par 60 today, including 2 bogeys, 4 pars, 10 birdies and 2 eagles. Not a single par in his back 9.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Nolan

Re: These guys are good...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
Maybe he's the king of dog tracks.

Not to take anything away from his round.  Very nice.  But that course is pure crap.  I couldn't watch it.

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:24:02 PM »
lift, clean, and place thru the green.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
Indeed, a poor course and lift, clean and place.  Anyone could shoot 60. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

ok, yes, they are good.  There is a reason though that course and tournament records do not count when lift, clean, and place is used.  There were also 3 63's and a 62 this week so far.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »
I dont particularly care if it was lift, clean and kick the ball 10 yards up the hole. 60 is an amazing round of golf.

This forum is possibly the only place around where you can find people willing to pour cold water over such a remarkable achievement.

lift, clean, and place thru the green.

In your opinion, how many strokes per round do you think a player is advantaged by placing the ball?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

Granted the course doesn't look great but 12 under on any course under any conditions is a serious round of golf. How many guys would even shoot 12 under on a wedge and putt course?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:48:35 AM »
sounds pretty bloody good to me regardless of conditions or "rule adjustments" - have at it lads

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »

ok, yes, they are good.  There is a reason though that course and tournament records do not count when lift, clean, and place is used.  There were also 3 63's and a 62 this week so far.
Which reinforces my point, I think, rather than counter it.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 06:02:54 AM »
Only watched a bit of it, but that course looks like a pitch and putt for these guys....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »

Mark there have been only 12 60's on the European Tour, this is not the first time there has been lift, clean and place and it's not the easiest course that's been played. You shouldn't be taking anything away from Ross McGowan's great achievement.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »

Mark there have been only 12 60's on the European Tour, this is not the first time there has been lift, clean and place and it's not the easiest course that's been played. You shouldn't be taking anything away from Ross McGowan's great achievement.

Padraig,

I'm not taking anything away from it, I think it's remarkable, hence posting in the first place.  I was responding to posts by a couple of people who obviously don't find shooting 60, in competition, to be noteworthy. I'm sorry if my irony got lost in transalation.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »

Padraig,

I'm not taking anything away from it, I think it's remarkable, hence posting in the first place.  I was responding to posts by a couple of people who obviously don't find shooting 60, in competition, to be noteworthy. I'm sorry if my irony got lost in transalation.

Mark, you've overlooked the need for smilies to get through the fog of literalness (not literacy) that afflicts some.   ;) :P

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
Bill,

I haven't overlooked them.  To me Smilies are to the English language what golf carts are to golf for Melvyn.

Mark

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
Padraig

I'm not taking anything away from it, I think it's remarkable, hence posting in the first place.  I was responding to posts by a couple of people who obviously don't find shooting 60, in competition, to be noteworthy. I'm sorry if my irony got lost in translation.

Mark, one of the drawbacks of internet forums, sometimes the irony is lost in translation. Of course the problem could be my lack of mental aptitude ,(but that couldn't be!!!).

- Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
Bill,

I haven't overlooked them.  To me Smilies are to the English language what golf carts are to golf for Melvyn.

Mark

That was my point.

Jon Nolan

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
Padraig,

I'm not taking anything away from it, I think it's remarkable, hence posting in the first place.  I was responding to posts by a couple of people who obviously don't find shooting 60, in competition, to be noteworthy. I'm sorry if my irony got lost in transalation.

I guess I'm one of those people to whom you refer although I suggest there was a bit lost in translation there as well.  As I said, "not to take anything away from his round" and "very nice".  I may be guilty of a threadjack in changing the subject to the horrible course/design but I do not find the accomplishment lacking.

[disdain for smilies alert] :) [/disdain for smilies alert]

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Bill,

Mark

That was my point.
Have I been hoist by my own petard?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
Padraig,

I'm not taking anything away from it, I think it's remarkable, hence posting in the first place.  I was responding to posts by a couple of people who obviously don't find shooting 60, in competition, to be noteworthy. I'm sorry if my irony got lost in transalation.

I guess I'm one of those people to whom you refer although I suggest there was a bit lost in translation there as well.  As I said, "not to take anything away from his round" and "very nice".  I may be guilty of a threadjack in changing the subject to the horrible course/design but I do not find the accomplishment lacking.

[disdain for smilies alert] :) [/disdain for smilies alert]
And a truly dire course it looks.  Made most apparent by the aerial shots, which just highlight the omnipresent cart paths.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
Many forget that Geiberger's 59 at Memphis was played under lift, clean and place rules due solely to the poor early season condition of the bermuda at Colonial CC.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Bill,

Mark

That was my point.
Have I been hoist by my own petard?

Not at all.  There is occasionally a failure to recognize irony on this site, although sarcasm is usually quite recognizable!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:19 AM »
They can't be that good. It has come to my attention (The Match by Frost) that Ben Hogan owns the course record at Cypress Point twice with 63s.

I know these guys that claim to be good make a point of visiting courses and trying to set the course record. If they are so good, why can't they get it done at CPC?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back