News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Wentworth West - New 17 & 18 Hole Pictures
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 05:30:26 AM »
James

Thre will be water running through the stream, flowing from the dogleg to the back of the green.  At the moment it looks like the water will then disappear down a sink hole and be pumped back up to the top lake, on the other side of the entrance road.

Now I've figured out how to post pictures I shall also show you the few shots I took of 17.  There are no bunkers, as before, but a deep gulley has been excavated from the right flank of the green and there is a collection swale to the front left.  The right hand gulley eats into the green by about 3 metres, so anything with a touch of momentum will gather down the slope and plummet to the bottom.

The exciting Eagle-Eagle finish possibilities of the old Wentworth are now seriously diminished.  The degree of difficulty of these closing two holes has been ramped up considerably.  The pro's will find it really tough.  As for Joe Public......  :-\

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Gareth Williams

Re: Wentworth West - New 18th Hole Pics Added
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »
Gareth

Would very much like to see more photos.  Everything looks very smooth

The 12th is a shocker!  It seems that they're so paranoid about drainage that they've gone and perched some of the greens and they don't fit with the surrounding land at all.

The 12th green was one of the greens that pro's complained about the most - partly a function of it's location at the very edge of the property and the over hanging tree's. That's part of the reason it is now one of the most altered greens on the course and is so different.

The actual putting surface is-to my eye, not measured-about 25% smaller than before and the run off areas left, right and back are at least 50% larger. All backs up the decision to make this a long par 4 not an "easy" par 5 for the pro's.

Gareth Williams

Re: Wentworth - New 17th and 18th Green Pics
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 05:37:06 AM »
Nice pictures Robin.

It's clear to me that the pin position for the 17th on Sunday at the PGA will be back left behind that mound. I don't see any pro's getting within an easy eagle putt distance on that hole anymore.

In fact an Eagle/Eagle finish is just not going to happen in my opinion now.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 05:37:28 AM »
Sorry, two pics the same up there.  I'm still learning!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ben Stephens

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 05:54:33 AM »
Whoa whoa! Hang on Ernie - you have forgotten the plight of the average golfer!! Having seen the photos of the revamped West - it seems that the playability of the course has now narrowed down to the Elite pros at the top down to the category one advanced golfers!

I can see most of the pros laying up on 18 cos it is too risky to lose 2 shots but yet they will still get a birdie due to their supreme short game skills. Its not the Wenworth that I know - sadly we will not see games like Faldo vs Woosnam classic match!

My Dad has played Wentworth and he thought 18 was a very good finishing hole that you could get an eagle or a double bogey. He was shocked to see the changes and was disappointed with it. Seems like I have educated him well about GCA. He initially did not like Sandwich 20 years ago - and played it this year and he loved it, almost an inch short of getting a 2 on the 18th and especially the meal afterwards!!

Adi Stiff - I agree with you MJ Abbott look like they have done some quality work at Wentworth, one thing sticks in my mind is the bank just above the sleepers off the green - they look steep! I am concerned for some golfers as they could easily fall in the water and get injured!!

Hope Wentworth's next owner will fill in this ghastly feature and revert to the old design for the 18th.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »
Robin,

You can modify your post by deleting the extra pic ie. ('img - img/')
Well done look forward to seeing more pics off you!

Cheers

ben

Brian Phillips

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 06:18:09 AM »
Nice pictures Robin.

It's clear to me that the pin position for the 17th on Sunday at the PGA will be back left behind that mound. I don't see any pro's getting within an easy eagle putt distance on that hole anymore.

In fact an Eagle/Eagle finish is just not going to happen in my opinion now.
Gareth,

I am not sure I would agree.  I would put the flag right next to the false front on the right as that would really suck people into going for the flag.  I don't like the shaping of the mounding not blending with the green but I quite like the "idea" of the severe fall off on the right although it does not look very natural at the moment.

Robin,

Have a look at the Melbourne dinner thread.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:40:41 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
Well so far, everything looks very very difficult for the pro's and squeezing 3 woods through some of these gaps looks tough for me. I would not want to give Tiger 2 shots around here  ;D
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back