News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Home of Golf TV Episode #14 talks to Chief Green’s Kkeeper Neil Ballingall re Torrance & Kittocks course at The Fairmont, St Andrews.

Check out link  http://www.homeofgolf.tv/

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

I haven't played the Fairmont courses, Melvyn, so little time and so many courses etc, but would love to hear your thoughts about them.

Thanks.

Melvyn Morrow

Bill

Like you, I have not played Fairmont, for no apparent reason than I just look at St Andrews as a four course town. TOC, The New Course, Jubilee Course and Eden.

The newer courses do not attract me, they are perhaps in part more contrived and less natural to my liking so I prefer to travel a little extra distance to Elie, Crail, Leven, Lundin, and Leslie. They for me are far more personal and warming, which starts the day of with a smile. As you know, St Andrews and Fife can offer a different experience each time you play any of the courses, the controlling factor being the wind and weather. Nevertheless, the core business point to my game is fun and enjoyment, I need no trophies to say I play golf.

I suppose it’s a trend that started when I was young, as places became busy, we would venture further afield to enjoy the days golf. For the life of me, I do not remember ever having a slow game, waiting, let alone waving through another group when playing away from home (St Andrews). That has always remained my type of golf. In addition, when with my father I never remember having to get up early to play any course near or far, in those day to hit the fairways before 9AM was just unthinkable, how things have changed.

From what I have seen in the past and learnt from today’s clip in Home of Golf TV re Fairmont, I feel that course looks interesting. Love the wind, weather and the deep and other interesting bunkers (hazards) but I am not attracted to the complex, yet I see more in Fairmont that I have ever seen at The Castle Course. Would I like it, perhaps but it would have to be well out of season to get me to play, its just feels cold (in the no-weather sense).

Askernish attracts me, as does Cullen, Bridge of Allan, Brora, Killin & Luffness smaller out of the way courses, not great in the eyes of some however more than great and very enjoyable in my way of thinking.

Fairmont, well the new mods have some appeal and I do enjoy a course that can make the golfer think. To challenge the basic skills is the name of the game, constructive hazards that can be surmounted, even with a tactical retreat in the case of some deep 8 feet bunkers.

My young brother’s back has improved and he has started playing again to the point of hoping to be in St Andrews next year - Fairmont may well be his base for the week in St Andrews thus on his list of places to play, prior to moving on North. So may have nsome ews for you next year .

Melvyn
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:25:56 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Rich Goodale

Melvyn and Bill

I played the renovated Torrance on its re-opening day in July.

Whilst not a links course (nor pretending to be) it does play more like one than I would have thought.  Both the fairways and greens played fast and firm, even though each were still in the embryonic stage.  The course will get better over time.  Some of the routing is a bit contrived (particulalry the 1st 4 holes where there was some swapping with the Kittock course), but all the holes have some intresting shot challenges, and the wind on the very exposed property will be omnipresent.  The nature of the land does not lend it to as much bumps and rolls as does proper links, but there is enough gravitational intreest to make the course a fun one to play.  To me, the best comparitor in the immediate area is the Craighead Course at Crail, and I think that the Torrance is a superior course to that.  In the area, except for the Roadhole Bar at the Old Course Hotel, you cannot beat the views from the Fairmont clubhouse.  It's modern, but there are a declining few Scottish clubhouses that aren't modern today.... :'(

Rich

Brian_Ewen

What did Bruce Devlin do wrong to get his name removed ?

Bill_McBride

Askernish attracts me, as does Cullen, Bridge of Allan, Brora, Killin & Luffness smaller out of the way courses, not great in the eyes of some however more than great and very enjoyable in my way of thinking.

Melvyn, a bit of a topic switch, but saw your reference to Askernish above.  It really is a shame you weren't able to make it to Deal during the Buda, because Gordon Irvine came to give us a talk about the building of Askernish, with a great series of before and after photos.  The "before" were the places where they suspected there were greens and fairways, the "after" were of the finished product.  It does look great.  Here's Gordon at the big dinner at Deal - pay no mind to the glassware on the table, we were all paying attention!

Melvyn Morrow

Bill

Thanks for that, but I knew of Gordon’s visit a month before BUDA, but said I would not mention it to you guys as your little surprise.

Gordon, I believe is or has joined GCA.com, which will be great bonus for this site.

Melvyn

Niall C

I'm looking forward to playing the revamped courses at Fairmont. I played the two "old" courses several times and while the Devlin had a more contrived routing and one or two poor holes (from memory the two short par 3's on the back nine) I still prefered it to the Torrance.

When they started doing the work I played a composite course (during April) which was anything but firm and fast and even though we had paid for two rounds, after five and a half hours playing the first round we called it a day. I'll be interested to see how they have managed to make a composite course that is still easily walkable.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

The tall droll with the small doll (Dr and Mrs V) and I played the Torrance a few weeks ago on a stormingly nice sunny and windy Fife day.

We were all VERY impressed by the new layout and by much of the wonderful strategic bunkering. My penchant for MacKenzie-esque greensites was well sated as there are some utter beauts. I'm genuinely just about to place the course up there with Kingsbarns (and you know how much I love that!). Given its adjacent proximity with the pock-marked problem-child that is the Castle, it's thrown into even stronger contrasting relief. A fine example of restrained yet exciting design which politely gives an appreciative nod to the nearby Links but quite clearly makes a strong case for itself, I loved it!

A couple of beers and a decent Burger on the terrace of the clubhouse with that view were more than enough to round off a bloody good day. Recommended 4*

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

What did Bruce Devlin do wrong to get his name removed ?

Am I wrong .... but I thought Mr Devlin worked the dirt at St. Andrews Bay ?

Niall C

Brian

I guess if you own the course, you own the publicised history as well.

Niall

Mike_Clayton

At the Scottish Seniors a month or two ago I played the last round on the Torrance course with Sam.

We got to the 4th hole - the one with the wall up the right and bunkers left. Sam cut it over the fence and went for another ball - until it was pointed out that it wasn't out of bounds over the wall.
We were playing with Manuel Pinero - who said 'I wish I had known that.I have been aiming miles left all week because I assumed it was OB'

Scott MacPherson - who was a significant part of the construction team - caddied for me on the first day and he pointed out all the subsequent changes - and I have to say very few, if any, made any sense.

Niall C

Mike

Interesting story. It does beg the question why Sam didn't know his own design (or at least the design he put his name to) or had it changed from the original ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back