News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Help with Reykjavik
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »
In this series of silly aerials I thought I'd stump you with Reykjavik in Iceland. Google Earth found it easily, but the clickable photos on the site show a wilderness, while GE shows it as largely surrounded by housing, caravans or industry, I'm not entirely sure what, but a busy environment. Given that photos are often posted in wildly wrong places on GE, is this the right course?  64° 7'15.21"N  21°46'12.32"W
It's not a matter of urgency as I shall not be around for some days.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Help with Reykjavik
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
Mark some pics show a wilderness but others show development.  Perhaps a timing issue or the undulating land hiding what's beyond the perimeter?

And on a related note, whither Hornafjordur GC?  A single picture on Edwin Roald's website, combined with his description of the course, lured me into several hours' worth fruitless Google stalking, of both search and Earth varieties.  It appears to have no website, nor for that matter anything written about it on the WWW; GE is low-res fuzzy.

Undoubtedly contacting Mr Roald directly via GCA.com would be more productive, but where's the fun in that?

Mark

George_Bahto

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
While I was in US Naval Aviation we flew up to Reykjavik and Keflavic (sic?) and the landing was down through the fjords (sort of like large Rees containment mounds -  :P - I guess I shouldn't have gone there, but what the heck, he's been dissing me as the "dry-cleaner"   ;)

The place was desolate at the time - 1954 or so. The only place worse we went to was a small airbase called Frobisher Bay - Canadian North West Territory ..... the Navy in all their wisdom used to send ud NORTH in the WINTER, South in the SUMMER ...................  Makes sense to me

Mark, what the heck made you think of that place?????????
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jason Hines

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
Mark,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Iceland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.589577,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=64.121693,-21.770225&spn=0.009852,0.038452&t=h&z=15&lci=lmc:panoramio

Try this link, click on the More tab, check the photos box and the photos are more accurate.  I have not played Reykjavik Golf Club, but have played two other courses in Iceland, Keilir and Oddur.
http://www.oddur.is/
http://www.keilir.is/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:41:36 AM »
If you searc Google maps with these: 64.264663,-15.211356
You will find the course.

In the aerial it is winter so the holes are quite hard to notice.

Best regards,
Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:26:16 AM »
Incredible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back