News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re: Midwest Mashie - Another Attempt
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
It's far better than Coldstream - another Dick Wilson design I have played quite a bit. Coldstream is quite cramped compared to NCR.

John Pflum

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »
So who's interested?

Steve,

I'm all over it!  I'd be partial to Ivy Hills and Coldstream since I live about 5 minutes from each of those courses.  :-)

Let me know if you need help with planning or anything.  I do a similar event here in town that involves folks from some other golf boards and would love to pitch in with anything I could do. 
--
jvdp

jonathan_becker

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
Steve,

I'm in.  :) I live in NE Ohio, so it's only a couple hours drive for me.  NCR sounds great, Ivy Hills looks pretty interesting (just checked out the website), Shaker Run is the home of my lowest round ever, and a Coldstream possibility definitely catches my attention.  ;D

It all sounds fun to me!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
So who's interested?

Steve,

I'm all over it!  I'd be partial to Ivy Hills and Coldstream since I live about 5 minutes from each of those courses.  :-)

Let me know if you need help with planning or anything.  I do a similar event here in town that involves folks from some other golf boards and would love to pitch in with anything I could do. 

I agree, Coldstream plays "cramped". I have played it many, many, many times and always felt that. An excellent course, and although I have yet to play NCR South (soon though) my favorite Dick Wilson is Oleander on Jekyll Island, GA.

Ivy Hills is an interesting course, not my favorite around town, but it is definitely nothing at all like anything else around here.....are they still affiliated with Royal Oak?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
It would be pretty fun to setup teams of "coasties" vs "land blubbers" :)

I would be interested, but there are WAY too many events around May/June timeframe (already booked for OldMac opening). Can we get people to spread this apart a bit?

KP is already in Spring, Dixie Cup is in Fall, Something more towards mid-summer would be nice...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
I agree with Richard Choi.  Summer timing would be much more likely for me.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
Steve,

I am definitely interested if it falls on the right weekend.

Chris

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »
I think the event sounds like a blast...but Midwest Mashie?  Are you guys serious?

I'm looking at a map of the US and Cincinatti is about 500-600 miles from NY city and 2000 miles from San Francisco? 

And this is the "Midwest"??   ;D  ;D  ;D

Leave it to a Utahan to not know where the midwest is! The midwest has always been east of the Mississippi.

In case you don't know, Utah is a Rocky Mountain state and is nowhere near the midwest.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
I live in ND and consider THIS the midwest.  Ohio?  Hey, too far for me, but great idea.  Maybe someday we'll have one a bit closer.

North Dakotans! sigh! Ever hear of the plains states? No wonder Montanans make so many jokes about you guys.

Perhaps you mixed up the Missouri with the Mississippi to think ND is in the midwest.
 :P

And another  :P for Kalen
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
Garland,

The gov't or anyone else can call it anything they like, but I ain't buying. 

P.S.  North Dakota is in the Mid-West if your sticking to the gov't definitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Steve Kline

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
So who's interested?

Steve,

I agree, Coldstream plays "cramped". I have played it many, many, many times and always felt that. An excellent course, and although I have yet to play NCR South (soon though) my favorite Dick Wilson is Oleander on Jekyll Island, GA.

Ivy Hills is an interesting course, not my favorite around town, but it is definitely nothing at all like anything else around here.....are they still affiliated with Royal Oak?

Glad to see some of think Ivy Hills might be interesting. Most people, especially good players, hate it. It is still affiliated with Royal Oak. Currently Canongate is running both. The company owns like 20 clubs in Atlanta with shared playing privleges. I believe they also own or manage Shaker Run. I've heard they are trying to do the same thing in Cincinnati.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »

I too, would be interested in the summer months.

Bob J

Steve Kline

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
We could make it July. The only problem is I have no idea what my tournament schedule is yet for July and I'm usually in Pinehurst for a week that month. (I know...such terrible problems to have). Also, Ivy Hills is usually not in the best shape then because they insist on overwatering the course. In May it hasn't gotten hot enough at night yet for them to water too much.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »
Garland,

P.S.  North Dakota is in the Mid-West if your sticking to the gov't definitions.

There is a difference between a classification for administrative purposes as done by the census bureau that you reference in the wikipedia link and the original meaning of a term. I believe, as another poster mentioned, it is a designation rooted in history (which your link acknowledges and specifies an area east of the Mississippi as the historical designation), and it is my understanding that when it originated, everything west of the Mississippi was the west, and the more rust belt centered region was the midwest.

No matter which definition you take Utah is no where near the midwest.
 ;D  :P

Tom Yost

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
Just an FYI - by mid summer, southwestern Ohio becomes the "Humidity Vortex of the Universe."    ;)

I would really like to attend but too early to commit.  So many great events lined up for 2010, I'm going to have to make some tough choices.   I am a native of the area and do have family still living nearby so it should be a no brainer.

I do have experience with NCR.  My Dad took me to watch a round of the 1969 PGA Championship.  The only thing I remember was everyone was drinking Michelob beer. It  was the first I had heard of that fancy brand and funny shaped bottle.  Why this was of interest to a 14-year-old, I don't know.

Also familiar with Shaker Run.  It was originally developed by the Armco Steel Corp. as an employee recreational facility.  My dad, as an Armco retiree, paid something stupid like $250 for an annual membership.  Sold off and opened to the public sometime in the 80's. The original 18-holes were done by Art Hills.   A third nine was added by Hurdzan, don't know if he did any work on the original holes.

Steve Kline

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
Tom - I graduated from St. X in 1993. Are you by chance related to a Tom Yost that played golf at Moeller at the same time? I played quite a few competitive rounds with Tom in our high school golfing days.

Yes - Ohio is humid in mid-summer but it is no worse than anywhere else in the Midwest (or the states between the Appalachians and the Rockies) or Southeast.

Tom Yost

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
Steve:

Took me a minute to track it down, but I found a post where Adam Clayman once asked me if I was the Tom Yost he knew from the Cincinnati area.   Seems I'm a famous guy.

Alas, I am "just a bit" older than anyone that was in high school in 1993.   And my golfing skills would definitely not generate any notoriety.  8)

John Pflum

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
Tom - I graduated from St. X in 1993.

Go Bombers!

(Class of '89)
--
jvdp

JLahrman

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »
Steve, I worked with Tom Yost for awhile.  The real one - not this imposter on this website!

Regarding Shaker Run, am I the only one who just doesn't care for that course too much?  If I'm between Cincinnati and Dayton I'd rather go to Weatherwax or even Walden Ponds.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 02:11:36 AM »
Garland,

There is a difference between a classification for administrative purposes as done by the census bureau that you reference in the wikipedia link and the original meaning of a term. I believe, as another poster mentioned, it is a designation rooted in history (which your link acknowledges and specifies an area east of the Mississippi as the historical designation), and it is my understanding that when it originated, everything west of the Mississippi was the west, and the more rust belt centered region was the midwest.

No matter which definition you take Utah is no where near the midwest.
 ;D  :P

I think Ohio and it's surrounding states (Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky) can have the "Mid-East Mashie" for their tournament name.

As I mentioned in the Prairie Club thread their should be a Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, N+S. Dakota, Nebraska) event that could perhaps be called The "North Star Niblick"?

However if they are all going to be lumped together then perhaps the "Great Lakes" can be the geographical tie between them.

As for timing the summer is always tough but I would suggest the weekend before father's day (second weekend in June). That way dads are able to be home with their kids on Father's Day but have an easy present to get from mom/the family, i.e. a golf trip the weekend before.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:17:21 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 03:03:40 AM »
I am amazed at all this (I can only spose ultra modern) clap trap about Ohio, Michigan etc not being the midwest.  I don't know what country you lot were brought up in, but these states have long been considered the midwest.  You boys out in the mountain states are part of the west along with the pacific (coast) states.  There are geographic, demographic and historic reasons for the FOUR US regions.  Here endeth the lesson.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »
Steve, I worked with Tom Yost for awhile.  The real one - not this imposter on this website!

Regarding Shaker Run, am I the only one who just doesn't care for that course too much?  If I'm between Cincinnati and Dayton I'd rather go to Weatherwax or even Walden Ponds.

I am NOT a big fan of Shaker, in fact, if I never played it again it wouldn't bother me. The price this year was 1/2 of what it was the year prior, but I still did not play 1 round there this year. It's a nice golf course, but not my cup of tea.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Steve Kline

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2009, 06:18:41 AM »
I'm fine with doing a course other than Shaker on the Saturday. Obviously, it will have to be a public course. Weatherwax is okay with me. Any other public courses I should consider?

John Pflum

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »

Joel -- I really enjoy the golf course at Shaker but the people get on my nerves.  Granted, I haven't been out there for a while so things might have change but I always seemed to get a bad attitude from them.  Like I should be thanking them for letting me play their course.  Plus, they get all upset when you want to walk.  Granted there are some decent green to tee hikes but nothing impossible. 
--
jvdp

John Pflum

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »
I'm fine with doing a course other than Shaker on the Saturday. Obviously, it will have to be a public course. Weatherwax is okay with me. Any other public courses I should consider?

Steve -- maybe Stonelick?  It is fairly close to Ivy Hills for people driving but it's tough if people want to walk.  If you are looking at courses north-ish of town there is that course near Middletown that hosts a Nationwide tour event.  Is it Heatherwoode? 
--
jvdp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back