News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Midwest Mashie - Another Attempt
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
Seeing the reports on Buda and the upcoming Dixie Cup has got me jonesing to play with some fellow GCAers. I have not been able to make one of these events so I think the next best thing is to organize one. As Sean Arble mentioned on the previous thread regarding the Midwest Mashie it just needs to start and it will grow over time.

So, here's a tentative idea (with thanks to a new member for the possibility of playing NCR).

Three days of golf in the Cincinnati-Dayton area (they're pretty close together), perhaps on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday in May/June but most likely May. We'd play 36 at NCR in Dayton, 36 at Ivy Hills in Cincinnati and 36 at Shaker Run in Cincinnati. Team will be some sort of Ohio vs. everyone else depending on where people come from. The first five rounds would be played Ryder Cup style with foursomes, fourballs, and individual matches. The last 18 would be just for fun.

For those that don't know these courses:

NCR - Designed by Dick Wilson, the course is ranked 65th on the Classic Courses list by Golfweek and 7th in the state of Ohio by Golf Digest. It has hosted the '69 PGA, '86 Women's U.S Open, '98 Mid-Amateur, and the '05 Sr. U.S. Open. I've played it several times and it is quite good.

Shaker Run - Designed by Michael Hurdzan, it is ranked 21st in the state of Ohio and is regularly recognized as one of the best public courses in the state. It has hosted at least one USGA championship (the U.S. Public Links).

Ivy Hills C.C. - Designed by Steve Smyers, it is my home club and I'm confident we can get people on, which is the main reason for its inclusion. Smyers was not given a great piece of land but he did make some interesting holes out of it. Guaranteed it will test your game, especially off the tee.

If there are members at better courses than Ivy Hills we can substitute them for Ivy. For those looking to add to the beginning or end of the trip there are any number of other private clubs worth playing if you can get on (Camargo, Coldstream, Cincinnati CC, Hyde Park, Moraine). I'm not as familiar with the public facilties but others could help with that.

We'd have to have a dinner at Montgomery Inn one night (I'm biased but some of the best ribs you will ever eat).

We're not sure how many we could get on at NCR so the first to commit will get to play there.

So who's interested?

JC Jones

Re: Midwest Mashie - Another Attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
Thanks to Mike DeVries and John Kirk, we had a form of Midwest Mashie at Kingsley (to a lesser extent Greywalls and The Mines) this past summer.  It was great and hopefully this June another could be organized.  I commend you for trying to get this off the ground and while I would prefer June, May ain't so bad either.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »
This sounds like a great idea.

I would be totally weekend dependent, but would try to make it.  

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
Steve

While I can't attend, I am otherwise 100% behind you.  The meat of the country is too often ignored by lefties and righties alike. 

I am still willing and able to donate a suitably beat up mashie which can be used to drive in the event each year.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
Keep me in the loop.  I would probably be able to squeeze a long weekend out somewhere in th Midwest.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
I think the event sounds like a blast...but Midwest Mashie?  Are you guys serious?

I'm looking at a map of the US and Cincinatti is about 500-600 miles from NY city and 2000 miles from San Francisco? 

And this is the "Midwest"??   ;D  ;D  ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
Steve,
    Set the dates and they will come. I can't make it this time around due to June 1 opening of Old Mac at Bandon. If your travels bring you to the Chapel Hill, NC area let me know and we'll get out for a round.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Steve Kline

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
Ed - I go Pinehurst 3 or 4 times a year and may be a member at Pinehurst early next year. I'm headed down for Thanksgiving weekend.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »
Seeing the reports on Buda and the upcoming Dixie Cup has got me jonesing to play with some fellow GCAers. I have not been able to make one of these events so I think the next best thing is to organize one. As Sean Arble mentioned on the previous thread regarding the Midwest Mashie it just needs to start and it will grow over time.

So, here's a tentative idea (with thanks to a new member for the possibility of playing NCR).

Three days of golf in the Cincinnati-Dayton area (they're pretty close together), perhaps on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday in May/June but most likely May. We'd play 36 at NCR in Dayton, 36 at Ivy Hills in Cincinnati and 36 at Shaker Run in Cincinnati. Team will be some sort of Ohio vs. everyone else depending on where people come from. The first five rounds would be played Ryder Cup style with foursomes, fourballs, and individual matches. The last 18 would be just for fun.

For those that don't know these courses:

NCR - Designed by Dick Wilson, the course is ranked 65th on the Classic Courses list by Golfweek and 7th in the state of Ohio by Golf Digest. It has hosted the '69 PGA, '86 Women's U.S Open, '98 Mid-Amateur, and the '05 Sr. U.S. Open. I've played it several times and it is quite good.

Shaker Run - Designed by Michael Hurdzan, it is ranked 21st in the state of Ohio and is regularly recognized as one of the best public courses in the state. It has hosted at least one USGA championship (the U.S. Public Links).

Ivy Hills C.C. - Designed by Steve Smyers, it is my home club and I'm confident we can get people on, which is the main reason for its inclusion. Smyers was not given a great piece of land but he did make some interesting holes out of it. Guaranteed it will test your game, especially off the tee.

If there are members at better courses than Ivy Hills we can substitute them for Ivy. For those looking to add to the beginning or end of the trip there are any number of other private clubs worth playing if you can get on (Camargo, Coldstream, Cincinnati CC, Hyde Park, Moraine). I'm not as familiar with the public facilties but others could help with that.

We'd have to have a dinner at Montgomery Inn one night (I'm biased but some of the best ribs you will ever eat).

We're not sure how many we could get on at NCR so the first to commit will get to play there.

So who's interested?

Pls keep us informed.  Atlanta here, just a 7 hour dirve or so.

Love the courses, and I love 36 hole days.  A ways off, but sounds enticing.  Look forward to more details.  Thanks

Eric

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
Would be interested if the right weekend!

Bart

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
I think the event sounds like a blast...but Midwest Mashie?  Are you guys serious?

I'm looking at a map of the US and Cincinatti is about 500-600 miles from NY city and 2000 miles from San Francisco? 

How does the "North Central Niblick" sound?

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »

Much better...if not more geographically correct!!   ;D

Mark Manuel

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
I would be interested, a short 30 minute drive to NCR from my house. 

It would be very interesting to see if you could do 18 at NCR South and 18 at Moraine on the same day.  The locals know they are five minutes apart.  That would make for about as good a day as you can have in this area.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Steve Kline

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »
First we need to find a member at Moraine.  ;)

And it would be even better to have 36 at NCR and 36 at Moraine.

Ohio is not even north central. Wouldn't that be Minnesota and the Dakotas or something. How about the Rust Belt Raylor? Or Defunct Auto State Driver? We should probably reserve that last one if we ever go to Detroit, Cleveland or Toledo though.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
Steve,

I am in. BTW, I live in Loveland....

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mike Boehm

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »
Very interested.  Count me as a yes.  Had a great time at my first GCA outing this summer at Kingsley - would be great if we could have an event in the midwest regularly.

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
Steve -- I'm in Indy...sounds like fun. Count me in (if dates work) and keep me in the loop. I've played NCR (very nice/classic), but not the other two. I have a buddy in Cincy who's member at Coldstream...might try and drag him along. Do you want an email address?

Brent Carlson

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »

Kalen - You have to understand the historical context to know why it's called the Midwest.  When that phrase came about Utah was not in America.  ;)

Much better...if not more geographically correct!!   ;D

Brian Laurent

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »
Count me in!  We could also think of doing a day in Columbus?  It's only an hour or so from Dayton/Cincy and is home to several fine golf courses.  I could check with a few friends who are members at Brookside (Columbus) to see if they would host us for a day. 
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
Count me in!  We could also think of doing a day in Columbus?  It's only an hour or so from Dayton/Cincy and is home to several fine golf courses.  I could check with a few friends who are members at Brookside (Columbus) to see if they would host us for a day. 

What about the Scarlett course?  Isn't that a Dr Mac?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
I live in ND and consider THIS the midwest.  Ohio?  Hey, too far for me, but great idea.  Maybe someday we'll have one a bit closer.

Steve Lang

Re: Midwest Mashie - Another Attempt - GOLF OHIO
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
 8)  this should really be GOLF OHIO!

the midwest moniker is really a population density thing, not a geographical thing, used to be something like 60% of US population lived within 600 miles of OHIO..

given daylight issues, and numbers of golfers tryng to play at ohio courses.., not just this group, probably really pushing it to play 36 a day unless at one course..

i'd be interested to see how well folks could play Hueston Woods.. applying gca knowledge!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Kline

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »
The Scarlet Course was a Mack. It was redone a few years ago but I have no idea if the redo was done to restore it or just make it harder for the college players.

Cincinnati is within a days drive of something like 1/2 or 2/3 of the U.S. population. Dayton is about an hour to 1.5 hours away and Columbus is about 2, depending on where in the city you are going.

Coldstream is a nice course. My cousin is a member there but he hardly plays.

Since there is enough interest I will start talking to the member at NCR and my club to set dates. It will most likely be May because I don't have many tournaments that month and the ones I do have I know when they are.

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 07:37:32 AM »
 8) Just ask Jack about the renovation!  Good luck getting on there unless you're an alumni or are playing with one!  too bad there isn't an equivalent for Bearcats.. which some call "ThugCats" now?

BSChe '75
MS EnvEng '78
Skyline Forever! with a touch of Papa Dino's and Sorrento's
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Billsteele

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
Put me down as a definite maybe. May is always problematical due to end of the year school activities but if it works on the calendar I would be happy to venture out of Columbus. IMHO NCR South is a great golf course that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of other Ohio courses and is the best Dick Wilson design that I have seen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back