News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Study Trip
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:28:31 AM »
OK.  I get the message.  Thanks folks ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:27:33 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Phil_the_Author

Re: Long Island Road Trip 2010 - Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
Robin,

Though it sounds as if you are already planning to come after April 15th, you should be aware that Bethpage Black doesn't open for play until that date...

Jim Thornton

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »
Robin-

Are you sure you don't want to tack on a quick side trip down to Georgia to play Augusta National?

Jim

Robert Emmons

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
You could add Huntington, Piping Rock, Meadowbrook, Nassau, and Deepdale....RHE

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
Robin,

The problem I see is that you have 8 courses on your shortlist of 7.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:33:13 AM »
Robin,

Best wishes.  Your list is short and has all the courses everyone in the US would love to play on LI

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:41:56 PM by john_stiles »

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »
Robin,

if any of the big names fall through sneak out to Westhampton...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Thornton

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:32 AM »
Robin-

Fishers Island is only a short boat ride away.  After you've finished playing all the other courses on Long Island, you should hop over there and play a round.  I think it's really easy to get on.

Jim

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Sounds like a great trip Robin.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:04:57 AM by Jim Colton »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
The sarcasm is dripping off some of the posts on this thread...

If people on this forum can't give a leg up to a successful architect trying to plan a study tour to Long Island, then that's a shame.... I'm sure those that can... will...

Bill_McBride

Re: deleted
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
I'm with Ally.  Robin Hiseman is a respected British golf architect.  I'm sure he will get responsible advice off line from those who will be helpful in arranging his tour. 

After all, somebody must have helped Hugh Wilson when he went to England, right?  ::)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
I'll try and offer some genuine advice as I'm from the UK and I have done a similar trip the past couple of summers, albeit not including all the courses you mention.

Bethpage as a single shouldn't be too hard and there was a company which used local NY residents to secure tee times for visitors (at a premium, of course). It was quite a controversial business so I'm not sure if they're still going.

With regards to the other courses, they are private. In order to play them you need to either be with a member or have a member make arrangements for you. The best way to do that will probably be to ask around your home club, and maybe have a word with your secretary and see if they have any contacts. A private club in the US is not the same as the UK - visitors can't book tee times at a premium.

I will say that trying to get on those courses in one trip is nigh-on impossible. You'd need to be very lucky, even with connections.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Study Trip
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
Thanks Tom

That is all the info I need.

I've taken down the original post as it was in danger of brewing up a wee hornets nest, but I apologise for any perceived offense.  Blissful British ignorance to blame.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Brian Phillips

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:40 AM »

If people on this forum can't give a leg up to a successful architect trying to plan a study tour to Long Island, then that's a shame.... I'm sure those that can... will...

Ally, let me ask this and I am going to be very blunt. Why should anyone be able to just post what Robin did and not get some stick.  Especially as Robin has only posted around 70 times over the 10 years of this website.  Robin has lurked around here for years as have many British GCAs but none of them make an effort whatsoever to contribute to the site.

However, I will say this.  Robin is a fantastic guy and love his history and if anyone deserves to play and learn from those courses he does.  Anyone who plays golf with him on the trip will not only help educate a wonderful person but will also receive an education at the same time.

I am about to share a room with him for a week in Australia and I am not sure what to expect, he is the Rainman of GCA history...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
Ah Brian,

A bit of a nudge, nudge, wink, wink if you know the guy maybe... and obviously the return comments weren't malicious...

But to be honest, those kind of comments might not have been too far away... The preciousness over "access" on here is something I do not agree with.... If you are up front and open about your intentions then why not ask... After all, it wasn't a direct question that would put anyone in a tricky position...

I'll probably ask the same question in the future when I get half a chance to get over there...

Brian Phillips

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »
Ally,

Then you need to be quite careful.  When they say private in the US they damn well mean private. 

If Robin wants to play those courses all he has to do is send a letter to the courses, not a quick message on here with his GCA buddies of only 70 posts history. That is like a one night stand...   ;) it happens but it ain't too classy...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
Brian

Rainman!  That's a bit steep.  Looking forward to Oz and for sure now I am going to bring the scorecard of every round I have ever played...and talk you through them shot....by...shot...by shot.  We've got so much time to fill ;)

I held my hands up and said sorry to those people whose sensibilities were bruised.  That's it as far as I'm concerned.  Move on.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
...only if you promise to post more often.   ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »
Robin,
 Check your IM.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

Ally, let me ask this and I am going to be very blunt. Why should anyone be able to just post what Robin did and not get some stick.  Especially as Robin has only posted around 70 times over the 10 years of this website.  Robin has lurked around here for years as have many British GCAs but none of them make an effort whatsoever to contribute to the site.

However, I will say this.  Robin is a fantastic guy and love his history and if anyone deserves to play and learn from those courses he does.  Anyone who plays golf with him on the trip will not only help educate a wonderful person but will also receive an education at the same time.

I am about to share a room with him for a week in Australia and I am not sure what to expect, he is the Rainman of GCA history...

Don't turn your back to dry off when you get out of the shower ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
Robin,

Write them directly.
If it's busy - you will still be able to walk most of them.

If it's "off season" they may extend the invite to play.

Most see a bigger picture in what you do.

See you in Australia...

Ian

Robert Thompson

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
All I will say is that a few years ago when Robin was in Scotland he offered -- on this board -- to host anyone who wanted to come and play. I did -- 36 with him  -- and had a great time. He is a gentleman. If he came to Canada I'd hook him up with anything he wanted to play without question. Sometimes people on here can't see the woods for the trees. Robin is a working architect and people could learn a lot from a round with him -- but instead they are too busy being nasty to do a quick Google search to find out who he is.

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
I met Robin at the Painswick gathering a few years back, he is a great guy and a class act. I will just assume that those who don't know him got the wrong impression due to Robin's low posting numbers. I'm happy to help in any way I can Robin.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »
I'll add my appreciation of Robin as well if I may. A number of years ago when I had aspirations at getting into golf course design, Robin arranged a trip for myself and a number of fellow students round a course he redesigned up in Aberdeen. The club was private and Robin arranged access and showed us round which was greatly appreciated.

Some one who gives freely of their time to help others deserves similiar consideration in my view.

Niall

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
Robin,

Write them directly.
If it's busy - you will still be able to walk most of them.

If it's "off season" they may extend the invite to play.

Most see a bigger picture in what you do.

See you in Australia...

Ian

Robin

Apologies -  I've been offline for a week or so - and Ian is spot on. One of the oldest forms of communication is still highly valuable in today's techo age. I strongly recommend you get busy writing - you never know what may come of it.

Of course - inside knowledge helps but with a long lead time your efforts may be rewarded.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back