News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Re: Best small camera
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
Another camera review site for you......http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM........the best that I've ever seen, even better than the one posted above if you ask me. I've used it to buy my last two digital cameras. VERY VERY thourough review and side by side comparisons.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »
I would personally look for as much optical zoom as possible, unfortunately that generally means a bigger lens/camera.  As far as memory cards go you can buy an 8GB card for under $30  That should hold several thousand photos - at least 4000 unless you get a really high MegaPixel camera.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
I recognize the 9th at Milwaukee.  And that shine on the green is no accident.  Down grain and FAST.  Very nice photo, Phil.

Back to small cameras, my preference for golf course pictures is for ones that have an optical viewfinder instead of just the real LED for framing and shooting.  In some bright-light conditions that LED just doesn't cut it; and I'm kind of an old-school fim camera type to begin with.

But it is increasingly hard to find basic cameras with optical viewfinders.  Seems to be a generational thing, and the younger generation is being catered to now.

Emil Weber

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 03:38:49 AM »
For Ireland, I would think that this would be ideal:

Waterproof to 33 feet!

;D ;D
it took me about one minute to get that ;D

Dan Moore

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
As many have pointed out you can get excellent shots under the right conditions with middle range point and shoots.  I used several mid-range Canon's and a Nikon before getting the G-9.  Under less than ideal conditions the mid range p&s cameras do not perform that well when its a little darker or very sunny.  I eventually got frustrated with too many marginal shots and moved up a little in price for more quality.  The bottom line since switching to the G-9 is that I get more good shots in a wider range of conditions and with RAW can save more of the marginal shots.  Overall I think it performs significantly better than the mid-range cameras and is just right size wise for using while you play.  It also performs quite well in doors and can take reasonably good videos (which eat up your card quick).  On the other hand my brother is a professional photographer and these cameras don't come close to what he can get with pro bodies and lenses, but that's another story entirely. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tony Gorski

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »

Hi Bill - as my Canon 870IS (which was great) was left in seat 2D on a plane from Traverse City to Chicago a few days ago (along w/ about 300 great pics of CD, Arcadia, Kingsley, Bluemound, etc.), I just purchased a Canon PowerShot SD780IS.  12Mp, HD video, ultra compact, and features guys like us use quite often...........for $240.  I've tested it out on a course and am very pleased.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »

Hi Bill - as my Canon 870IS (which was great) was left in seat 2D on a plane from Traverse City to Chicago a few days ago (along w/ about 300 great pics of CD, Arcadia, Kingsley, Bluemound, etc.), I just purchased a Canon PowerShot SD780IS.  12Mp, HD video, ultra compact, and features guys like us use quite often...........for $240.  I've tested it out on a course and am very pleased.

Too bad it was a compact camera, Tony.  If it had been an SLR, there wouldn't have been enough room in seat 2D on that airplane, and you might still have it.  ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
canon SD870 - wide angle
It is my third canon elph / point and shoot - all have been great and still work great

Why does one need three?  Might a deal be worked out on the least desirable one?

My Nikon 995 is very disappointing.  After 30 or 40 pics on my high capacity card, the rest come out blurry.  Is it a battery problem?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
Bill,
You are getting great advice from the board members. I endorse the Canon G9 or G10 camera. It is a powerful tool and a well built camera. Whatever you choose, make sure that the camera generates RAW files and that you shoot in RAW. This file is essentially a digital negative and gives you the chance to recover or improve shots that would otherwise be deleted. Consider it the ultimate mulligan.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
I would highly recommend the Leica D-Lux 4.  A little pricey but it's very easy to use, has a good lens, and shoots in 16:9 format.  The 16:9 is wider than a normal shot which works well for golf courses as most pictures will be horizontal.  I've used the D-Lux 3 for about two years and I've been very pleased with the results.

As far as memory cards go...  I just got a two 4 gig memory cards at Costco for $35.  For an extended golf trip I'd buy 4 or 6 at that price and set your camera to RAW.

One last tip: turn your flash on during the day to fill in the shadows on the faces of your playing partners.  Typical golf pic has 4 guys in hats at high noon and the result is you can't see anyone's face because of the shadows.  As you get better at this both the Leica D-Lux 4 and the Canon G10 (the two best IMO) allow you to adjust the level of fill flash to your liking.

Lou,
Sounds like your close-up macro button got pushed by accident.  

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  The camera has been doing this for awhile which leads me to think that it has something to do with the power supply and/or the focusing mechanism.  I need to test it, but I don't like it that well anyways,  If a concensus is reached on this thread, I'll probably take a look at the winner.

Tony Gorski

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »

Chuck - I hear you.  I used some expletives I've had down in the cellar once I figured out where I left it...........

Richard Choi

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
For what its worth, Consumer Reports recommends Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS ELPH and Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR.

I have owned older versions of both of these models and I would recommend them very highly.

You cannot beat the quality of outdoor photographs that Canon ELPH series produes. For a small camera, the color fidelity and clarity is absolutely the tops. You will not be disappointed.

However, if you take most of your pictures in low-light situation (indoors, overcast, night), you really should look seriously at the Fuji. They have special sensors that take in more light than comparable compact models. They produce images that are almost as good as SLR images in low-light situations (less grain, less blur).

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
Bump.

I am in the market for a good portable point and shoot that I can keep in my bag and use exclusively for golf course photos.  In the past, I've found that the camera I am using does not capture enough of what I want (i.e. the entire green from a relatively close distance) and with enough detail.

Do these recommendations still hold?  What is the difference between 28mm and 35mm and how does that relate to "wide angle"?  Many thanks.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Benham

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »

In your case, it isn't which camera is better, it is which camera has the features you need, possibly at the expense of others.

To gather the widest of angles, you need a camera that has as wide angle lense as possible.  Each camera should have spec on the lens and relationship to a standard 35mm equivalent.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15/25 model that has an effective 29mm wide angle lens ... I think you can get the FS-15 for around $ 150 ...

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fs25_fs15/specifications.html

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
If you don't mind spending a bit more get a Leica C-lux 3.  Built in wide angle and the best lens in the class
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
canon SD870 - wide angle
It is my third canon elph / point and shoot - all have been great and still work great

The wide angle lets you get more of the green in the picture from closer distances.
The drawback is it distorts the edges

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
I would also look at the recently released Canon S90.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
JC

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMC-FS7 - sits well in the pocket and it seems to take good photos from my POV (with a 10MG Pixel zoom)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back