News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Starting now, Mon. 10/5: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
... He's also witnessed some of the worst golf I ever played...

Don't worry Kyle. Now that he as seen me play on two occassions, the memory of your bad play is completely wiped from your mind.

Bill,

What are your favorite courses in the Florida sand belt?  What part of Florida is that?  There is a lot of sand here!

By your lack of response, I take it you don't have a chess rating. Correct?  Last ELO rating, years ago, was 1650, sort on the same order as my golf handicap (12.7 index).   :P 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
Central Florida is ridged by a series of dunes that two to three million years ago were islands of scrub surrounded by ocean. These spines extend for miles, from north to south, and crest at more than three hundred feet above sea level—serious elevation by Florida standards. They retain distinct local ecosystems and bottomless amounts of sand. Compared with all of the loamy, two-dimensional courses scattered across the state, these sandy layouts make for an adventurous brand of golf. Three ridges in particular—moving from west to east, the Brooksville, Lake Wales and DeLand Ridges—feature the kind of firm, fast-drying terrain that has produced some of Florida’s most exhilarating courses.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »
Central Florida is ridged by a series of dunes that two to three million years ago were islands of scrub surrounded by ocean. These spines extend for miles, from north to south, and crest at more than three hundred feet above sea level—serious elevation by Florida standards. They retain distinct local ecosystems and bottomless amounts of sand. Compared with all of the loamy, two-dimensional courses scattered across the state, these sandy layouts make for an adventurous brand of golf. Three ridges in particular—moving from west to east, the Brooksville, Lake Wales and DeLand Ridges—feature the kind of firm, fast-drying terrain that has produced some of Florida’s most exhilarating courses.

Where'd you get that quote?  Good one!

The courses I like in this terrain - keeping in mind I haven't played too many - are Pine Barrens at World Woods (Fazio) near Brooksville NW of Orlando; Southern Dunes (Smyers) SE of Orlando; and Mountain Lake (Raynor) a bit farther SE of Orlando.

Only Mountain Lake plays relatively fast and firm.  Pine Barrens isn't bad condition wise and is a good course.

Garland Bayley

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
Me and Sweeney are tired of telling y'all to go play HIGHLANDS RESERVE! It's dead cheap, really low-key, fun, GCA-friendly golf in Central Fla. The most terrain-y (?) of any course I've played in the area, it's really good fun. Some housing near the course but no worse that Southern Dunes or Orange County. Mind you, it's been four or five years since...

I'll definitely be there next December for my 50th celebs. (GCAers welcome) Book early as late reservation is likely to disappoint...

But back to McBride. The man is a colossus. The man is a legend. The man is a magnificent specimen of the species called humanity.

Despite the fact he kicks my ass every time we play (vanity handicap) I love him. I am convinced he is actually my real uncle only lost due to the vagaries of a night-sailing in the 1890s from Dublin to Boston. You really couldn't wish for a more congenial companion.

Now to some questions:
1. Unk, what is your favourite golf Cap and why?
2. What is your favourite Par 3 at Crail? (Really serious question!)
3. What was the best/most fun hole you played on the Reverse TOC? (Maybe two answers)
4. Which courses would you most like to play on your next visit to Scotland?
5. Do you have any golfing regrets from your splendid career which still plague you today?

liebe,
neffers FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
Me and Sweeney are tired of telling y'all to go play HIGHLANDS RESERVE! It's dead cheap, really low-key, fun, GCA-friendly golf in Central Fla. The most terrain-y (?) of any course I've played in the area, it's really good fun. Some housing near the course but no worse that Southern Dunes or Orange County. Mind you, it's been four or five years since...I have not played there but sounds like I need to.

I'll definitely be there next December for my 50th celebs. (GCAers welcome) Book early as late reservation is likely to disappoint...

But back to McBride. The man is a colossus. The man is a legend. The man is a magnificent specimen of the species called humanity.

Despite the fact he kicks my ass every time we play (vanity handicap) I love him. I am convinced he is actually my real uncle only lost due to the vagaries of a night-sailing in the 1890s from Dublin to Boston. You really couldn't wish for a more congenial companion.  I had a fiver left from my trip to the Buda and will get it in the mail as soon as I have your address.   ;)

Now to some questions:
1. Unk, what is your favourite golf Cap and why?  I guess my beat up Pasatiempo cap that I wore all 8 rounds in England.  I wish I could find my black Hoylake cap from Buda 2006.
2. What is your favourite Par 3 at Crail? (Really serious question!)  A tie between #13 up the hill and #16 up the hill.  Two of the best uphill par 3s I know of.
3. What was the best/most fun hole you played on the Reverse TOC? (Maybe two answers)  The best was the par 4 played to the 11th green from the 13th tee, dead into a stiff wind over Hill Bunker.   :o  The most fun was probably the par 4 played from 8th tee to 6th green (is that right?), the approach was blind over a huge gorse bush!
4. Which courses would you most like to play on your next visit to Scotland?  TOC of course.  North Berwick.  Castle Stuart.  Balbirnie Park.
5. Do you have any golfing regrets from your splendid career which still plague you today?  Only that GCA.com and my travels started relatively late in life, when I am in my '60s.  It's still all fun, and as Edith Piaf said, "Je regrette de rien!"

Thanks for the softballs, looking forward to our next encounter!

liebe,
neffers FBD.

Steve Lang

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
 8) so where in tx have you enjoyed playing? and when are you going to visit / play on the north side of houston?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
8) so where in tx have you enjoyed playing? and when are you going to visit / play on the north side of houston?

Hi Steve, please say hi to Miss Sheila for me, it's been too long (Black Mesa - 2004?).

Years ago I played a fun round on the Woodlands TPC course, good layout, some very good holes.  I liked the island par 5 but wasn't crazy about the par 3 after that with the LONG skinny green.

I had a great day with Mike Nuzzo and son David down at the Wolf Point Club, nice to see Don Mahaffey.  That is such a fun course, I'm happy that Mike had a chance to design and he and Don build that course.  A good client is everything!

I never played much that I really liked in Dallas but there is a lot new there since we left in 1981.  My boss there joined Brookhaven just about the time we left!

I like the Barton Creek courses, the C&C Cliffside best, and will play Austin Golf Club in a couple of weeks, another top notch C&C.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »
Bill,
When you leave Pensacola to play golf does that affect the weather there?

You came across links golf later in your career. Would you have embraced it as much if you had partaken earlier?

Come back, Shane.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
Bill,
When you leave Pensacola to play golf does that affect the weather there?  Let me just say that I hate to leave here in the fall or mid spring, when the weather is great!

You came across links golf later in your career. Would you have embraced it as much if you had partaken earlier?  Good question but yes, I think so.  I first started studying the Old Course (have about 10 books now) a long time ago and always thought links golf sounded like a lot of fun.  And so it is!

Come back, Shane.  Thanks, next summer!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Decided to bump this up.

George Pazin

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »
Good call, well worth the read. Thanks, Pete!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt Bosela

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
Thanks for bumping this - a very enjoyable read.

Doug Wright

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
Uncle Billy

Makes my heart glad to see folks "come out" and give you your due. Whats the point of a eulogy if that person doesn't hear it?
I earnestly hope we will tee it up again soon.  Altho i am not much active anymore GCA is one of the joys of my life and has been since 1999.
Best Regards
Wardo

Ward,

This is rather poignant at this particular time. Well said...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back