News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/6: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »
Hey Ace, when was the first time you played on the auld sod?  Where did you make it on that trip? 

Ciao

The first time was in 1989 when I went to London on business and took my wife along for a week of holiday.  We went to Bath and then into the Cotswolds, spending a couple of nights in Chipping Camden.  We went for quite a long walk and I spotted the Broadway golf club, which is on top of the Cotswold escarpment above the Vale of Easham.  I had no plans to play, but the pro offered to loan me his cubs and fixed me up with a couple of local players.  I had a great time, that is a very fun couirse with some strong par 4s and some incredible views.  I liked the dry conditions and knew I wanted to play in the UK again.

Fast forward to 2004 when I  went over for the Buda Cup at Painswick and played St Andrews Old and North Berwick first.  Then I was terminally hooked!

Broadway Bill!  I should have known.  Yes, I have time for Broadway - the older front 9 is very good, while the newer back 9 is good in spots.  I live no more than 12 miles from Broadway. 

What were the few things you took away from that Broadway day which have stuck with you?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/6: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Hey Ace, when was the first time you played on the auld sod?  Where did you make it on that trip? 

Ciao

The first time was in 1989 when I went to London on business and took my wife along for a week of holiday.  We went to Bath and then into the Cotswolds, spending a couple of nights in Chipping Camden.  We went for quite a long walk and I spotted the Broadway golf club, which is on top of the Cotswold escarpment above the Vale of Easham.  I had no plans to play, but the pro offered to loan me his cubs and fixed me up with a couple of local players.  I had a great time, that is a very fun couirse with some strong par 4s and some incredible views.  I liked the dry conditions and knew I wanted to play in the UK again.

Fast forward to 2004 when I  went over for the Buda Cup at Painswick and played St Andrews Old and North Berwick first.  Then I was terminally hooked!

Broadway Bill!  I should have known.  Yes, I have time for Broadway - the older front 9 is very good, while the newer back 9 is good in spots.  I live no more than 12 miles from Broadway.  I had no idea you lived in that neighborhood, it's very lovely and ancient.  We played the back nine first (20 years ago so somewhat dim).  Then we came on a short par 4 absolutely surrounded by deep bunkers, followed by a lengthy par 4 with the second played over a wall.  After that came the holes along the escarpment and a stiff finisher up hill.  Good nine holes indeed.

What were the few things you took away from that Broadway day which have stuck with you?   Well of course the play was a lot faster than I was used to at home.  I think the three of us ran around in 3 hours very comfortably playing a 3 ball.  I won a couple of quid as high Stableford marker and then they let me spend it on a round of pints!  I liked Stableford and still do.  I learned that even the little English courses can have firm fairways and solid holes even though it's not in the Sunningdale class.  I enjoyed Broadway a lot.

Ciao

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting now, Mon. 10/5: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »

If we were to play a singles match, how many strokes are you willing to give me?

A bit of advice. If you get paired with Bob Jenkins in a GCA event, don't let him try to hit a flop shot from the wood chips!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »
George,

I think I have grandchilden older than Bill.

Bob

:)

mayday, I disagree - Bill's agenda is to lead by example.

Bill -

Do other members feel Pensacola is too wet as well? Do you ever try to nudge folks in the direction of more brown, less green?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

If we were to play a singles match, how many strokes are you willing to give me?

A bit of advice. If you get paired with Bob Jenkins in a GCA event, don't let him try to hit a flop shot from the wood chips!

Whatever's fair, just don't think your handicap will be based on a 21.6 index!  ;D

Bob Jenkins can play whatever shot he wants to play, so long as he knows who's on the other side of the blind ridge!    ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
Hi Bill.  At the last Dixie Cup I had the pleasure of sharing a cart with you for Sunday's final match. You had to witness a beaten man who was having a difficult time trying to extract his golf ball from what seemed to be miles and miles of baby powder-like sand at The Dunes. You were most patient and even offered a swing tip which helped to stop the bleeding. So thanks again!

FF to next month when we plan to play together again at Long Shadow then on to the Dixie Cup.  Have you seen all of the sand in the pics of Palmetto and Aiken GC?  My question is can I count on my bunker guru to assist me once again in times of peril?

Walking or riding at the Dixie Cup?

Over / under on the time before your first libation after parking the car at Hotel Aiken?

Have you personally lobbied Dick Daley to get his a** down to Aiken this year? (I know his back's hurting him, but he is an easy couple of points for the team.  ;) ;D )

Is playing golf with a hangover underrated? Meaning, does a hangover, 'specially a good fresh one, have the potential to accentuate your golfing ability, particularly in match play at a gca event?

BTW, what is the total # of gca events you have participated in?

What is your favorite mountain golf course?

Are you still keen on a potential winter 4-5 day hit and run down to Hacienda Pinilla, especially if Mike Young's there to tour us?

Non golf related question: Why did you not like building mini storage?

Thanks Bill!

Eric

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
George,

I think I have grandchilden older than Bill.

Bob

:)

mayday, I disagree - Bill's agenda is to lead by example.

Bill -

Do other members feel Pensacola is too wet as well? Do you ever try to nudge folks in the direction of more brown, less green?

"Green is good" is the general motto, but I have a few compatriots who grumble along with me.  John Bernhardt came over last spring, along with Michael Christensen and Chris Moore, other GCAers, and remarked that he thought I wouldn't be happy before long.  He was right.   With all the sand that those fairways were capped with, the course should be draining better and staying drier.  I'm convinced it's a maintenance issue.  Unfortunately I am no longer on the board or on the green committee.  The current regime keeps it pretty much to themselves.

Bummer but oh well.   >:(

It's been a pleasure, George.  Thanks for organizing this, and thanks to the Treehouse for all the good questions and commentary.

mike_malone

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »
 Dammit, Bill get back to work!
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »
Hi Bill.  At the last Dixie Cup I had the pleasure of sharing a cart with you for Sunday's final match. You had to witness a beaten man who was having a difficult time trying to extract his golf ball from what seemed to be miles and miles of baby powder-like sand at The Dunes. You were most patient and even offered a swing tip which helped to stop the bleeding. So thanks again!  My pleasure.  Reminder:  choke up the same amount you dig in your feet in a fairway bunker.  It really works for good clean contact!

FF to next month when we plan to play together again at Long Shadow then on to the Dixie Cup.  Have you seen all of the sand in the pics of Palmetto and Aiken GC?  My question is can I count on my bunker guru to assist me once again in times of peril? But of course.  Maybe you can help me find my missing 30 yards off the tee........... :P

Walking or riding at the Dixie Cup?  Walking for sure, don't let Melvyn hear about the cart thing!

Over / under on the time before your first libation after parking the car at Hotel Aiken? 10 minutes!   "I'll have a Pimms #3 please!"

Have you personally lobbied Dick Daley to get his a** down to Aiken this year? (I know his back's hurting him, but he is an easy couple of points for the team.  ;) ;D )   I would love to see Sr. Daly at the Dixie Cup, has he ever missed one?

Is playing golf with a hangover underrated? Meaning, does a hangover, 'specially a good fresh one, have the potential to accentuate your golfing ability, particularly in match play at a gca event?  I don't have hangovers, wouldn't know.

BTW, what is the total # of gca events you have participated in?  Hmmmm.  Maybe 5 Kings Putters, 5 Dixie Cups, 4 Budas.  Plus some ad hoc stuff like a great few days at Kingsley Club.  It is always a pleasure to meet up with Golf Club Atlas members, we don't appreciate some times how different we are from the ordinary run of recreational golfers.

What is your favorite mountain golf course?  It's hard not to say Stone Eagle, but I really enjoyed playing CC of Sapphire Valley (old George Cobb design near Cashiers NC) a few weeks ago.  It was the most walkable mountain course I've ever played, mostly because all the holes are in the valley rather than on the peaks.  But for overall quality, Stone Eagle is the best mountain course.

Are you still keen on a potential winter 4-5 day hit and run down to Hacienda Pinilla, especially if Mike Young's there to tour us? Possible, particularly if Mike is there to lead us.

Non golf related question: Why did you not like building mini storage?  Oh I don't know, maybe because we lost our asses on that one time job!

Thanks Bill!

Eric

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
Dammit, Bill get back to work!

Hell, Mayday, there's no work to do!  Things in the construction business are    v...e...r...y    s...l...o...w    right now.

Ben Sims

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Bill,

What's up?  Thank you for letting Wyatt know to try and control me.  I am currently being controlled by having to regrip my Scotty with an LSU grip prior to the time he and I play again due to my Dawgs inability to tackle Charles Scott this past Saturday.

It's always a pleasure to read your posts and gain perspective away from my blind enthusiasm.  Thanks for the calming effect.  A few softballs for you.

1) What do you see as the future of golf in America?  More developments?  Or more "golf as the focus" type joints?

2)  Is public golf--not resort golf--dying in America?

3)  Sweet or unsweet tea?

4) Name the one course here in the US that made you want to cry because you may never see it again.

5) What factor other than "the ball" is hurting classical golf courses?

6) Your favorite hole at TOC and why?

7) Carolina, Memphis, or Texas style barbeque and why?

Still sorry I was flying that day you and Wyatt hit up The Bandit.  But at least you got to see a quality Redan.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »
Bill,

What is your favorite book, or favorite books? Fiction.
Do you play chess? If you do, any favorite openings or lines of play?

-Ted

Bill_McBride

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
Bill,

What's up?  Thank you for letting Wyatt know to try and control me.  I am currently being controlled by having to regrip my Scotty with an LSU grip prior to the time he and I play again due to my Dawgs inability to tackle Charles Scott this past Saturday. Don't even ask about my Cal Bears!  Hopes dashed yet again.

It's always a pleasure to read your posts and gain perspective away from my blind enthusiasm.  Thanks for the calming effect.  A few softballs for you.

1) What do you see as the future of golf in America?  More developments?  Or more "golf as the focus" type joints?  If I, or any of us, knew the answer to that question!  My take is that we are in for a few years of little housing speculation and therefore little golf development.  I think the status quo and less or no debt will be a good place to be for a while.  What's your take?

2)  Is public golf--not resort golf--dying in America?  Not at all, so long as the affordable model can be pursued.  I like Mike Young's ideas about "mom and pop" courses.  Have you had a chance to meet Mike in Athens?  Athens CC is one of my favorite courses any where, I played it a lot when I was a student at the Navy Supply School in Athens a long time ago.

3)  Sweet or unsweet tea?  Unsweet with lemon, it's what we fat boy type II diabetics have to do.

4) Name the one course here in the US that made you want to cry because you may never see it again.  Just one?  Cypress Point I guess.

5) What factor other than "the ball" is hurting classical golf courses?  Failure of the governing bodies to be responsible for the future of the game.  The Augusta syndrome of green, glorious green.

6) Your favorite hole at TOC and why?  #14 Long, I could play it over and over forever, being first one then another of Dr Mackenzie's players A-D.  There are just so many ways to get from the tee into the hole, and Hell is more than an abstract concept!

7) Carolina, Memphis, or Texas style barbeque and why?  As a native of Newnan, Georgia I will throw you a curveball and say Stew and Q at Sprayberry's!

Still sorry I was flying that day you and Wyatt hit up The Bandit.  But at least you got to see a quality Redan.  LOL  ;D  I look forward to teeing it up.  Do you ever get into Eglin AFB?  That's an hour east of me.  We could play one of the courses there at Eglin with my college fraternity brother who is a retired colonel in Shalimar, and jingles coins while standing too close to you while you putt.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
Bill,

What is your favorite book, or favorite books? Fiction.
Do you play chess? If you do, any favorite openings or lines of play?

-Ted

Hi Ted,

My favorite fiction?  I read a lot of series detective fiction - James Lee Burke's Cajun detective Dave Robicheaux, Donna Leon's Venetian detective Guido Brunetti, Lawrence Block's New York detective Matt Scudder.  I love that kind of fiction, when it's well written, for its depiction of place and ambience as well as story line.  My all time favorite is the Hornblower series of British naval captain fiction by C.S. Forester.

I love to play chess - do you think it has much in common with match play golf? - and my favorite opening is the Sicilian Defense, Najdorf variation.  I love the aggressive style.

Scott Warren

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »
Bill,

As a man who has played a healthy amount this side of the pond, what three things are the most different between US and UK golf (inc. the club side)? And what three aspects of UK golf would you most like to see become de rigueur in the States?

It really was a pleasure to meet you at Buda.

cheers,
Scott

Anthony Gray

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
Bill,

And for inquiring minds....

Would you go to a dentist that had a beard and a mustache with buggars in it?  Also would you play golf with such a person? ;D

For your information Mike, Bill gets his teeth cleaned at my office........He ships them here, we clean them then ship them back. When he first came to the office I took a look in his mouth. Bill asked me "How much?". I said $2,000. He didn't flinch so I said "That's for the uppers".

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
Bill,

As a man who has played a healthy amount this side of the pond, what three things are the most different between US and UK golf (inc. the club side)? And what three aspects of UK golf would you most like to see become de rigueur in the States?

It really was a pleasure to meet you at Buda.

cheers,
Scott

That's really easy, and sums up my attitude toward golf in the kingdom!

Reasonable access to the finest clubs in the land.

If speaking of links or generally heathland, fast and firm conditions are de rigeur.

And the play is fast as well, none of your lolly gagging!

And for a bonus point -- no golf carts!   ;D

And for a second bonus point - no overly manicured conditioning.

One more - you can stand at the bar at a typical UK private golf club and pay in cash for a round of drinks!

UK golf clearly has it over American golf in every one of those attributes.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
What's your chess rating?

How many move head start will you give me?
;) Less that 21.6?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Sims

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
Bill,

What's up?  Thank you for letting Wyatt know to try and control me.  I am currently being controlled by having to regrip my Scotty with an LSU grip prior to the time he and I play again due to my Dawgs inability to tackle Charles Scott this past Saturday. Don't even ask about my Cal Bears!  Hopes dashed yet again.

1) What do you see as the future of golf in America?  More developments?  Or more "golf as the focus" type joints?  If I, or any of us, knew the answer to that question!  My take is that we are in for a few years of little housing speculation and therefore little golf development.  I think the status quo and less or no debt will be a good place to be for a while.  What's your take?

2)  Is public golf--not resort golf--dying in America?  Not at all, so long as the affordable model can be pursued.  I like Mike Young's ideas about "mom and pop" courses.  Have you had a chance to meet Mike in Athens?  Athens CC is one of my favorite courses any where, I played it a lot when I was a student at the Navy Supply School in Athens a long time ago.

3)  Sweet or unsweet tea?  Unsweet with lemon, it's what we fat boy type II diabetics have to do.

4) Name the one course here in the US that made you want to cry because you may never see it again.  Just one?  Cypress Point I guess.

5) What factor other than "the ball" is hurting classical golf courses?  Failure of the governing bodies to be responsible for the future of the game.  The Augusta syndrome of green, glorious green.

6) Your favorite hole at TOC and why?  #14 Long, I could play it over and over forever, being first one then another of Dr Mackenzie's players A-D.  There are just so many ways to get from the tee into the hole, and Hell is more than an abstract concept!

7) Carolina, Memphis, or Texas style barbeque and why?  As a native of Newnan, Georgia I will throw you a curveball and say Stew and Q at Sprayberry's!

Still sorry I was flying that day you and Wyatt hit up The Bandit.  But at least you got to see a quality Redan.  LOL  ;D  I look forward to teeing it up.  Do you ever get into Eglin AFB?  That's an hour east of me.  We could play one of the courses there at Eglin with my college fraternity brother who is a retired colonel in Shalimar, and jingles coins while standing too close to you while you putt.

1)  I'll answer short Bill, this is your thread.  Those that make the kind of money to do start "pure golf" aren't making much money right now.  Mike Young's "Mom and Pops" are scared.  You see that it took an entire state's golf association to make CommonGround.  My feeling is that a young guy, with just barely enough money to start a viable small business--even if he has a severe golf jones--isn't going to start a golf course in uncertain times.  That leaves new development to the same old, same old.  I need to win the lottery and give some of the GCA "Mikes" a commission.   

2) I've met and played golf with Mr. Young.  A Georgia Tech fan living in Athens.  That takes nuts.  Great dude.  I say "dude" because I truly believe that if Jeffrey Lebowski were to be a golf architect, he would've been Mike Young. 

7)  My uncle was a barbeque restauranteur in Cartersville, GA for most of my youth.  Big Ric's Barbeque.  Anyway, I was almost disowned a few years ago when I asserted after a few beers that Sprayberry's had the best barbeque in the South.  Newnan is 20 minutes from my hometown, Bremen GA, by the way.

Thanks for the replies Bill.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »
Bill,

1)  I'll answer short Bill, this is your thread.  Those that make the kind of money to do start "pure golf" aren't making much money right now.  Mike Young's "Mom and Pops" are scared.  You see that it took an entire state's golf association to make CommonGround.  My feeling is that a young guy, with just barely enough money to start a viable small business--even if he has a severe golf jones--isn't going to start a golf course in uncertain times.  That leaves new development to the same old, same old.  I need to win the lottery and give some of the GCA "Mikes" a commission.   

2) I've met and played golf with Mr. Young.  A Georgia Tech fan living in Athens.  That takes nuts.  Great dude.  I say "dude" because I truly believe that if Jeffrey Lebowski were to be a golf architect, he would've been Mike Young. 

7)  My uncle was a barbeque restauranteur in Cartersville, GA for most of my youth.  Big Ric's Barbeque.  Anyway, I was almost disowned a few years ago when I asserted after a few beers that Sprayberry's had the best barbeque in the South.  Newnan is 20 minutes from my hometown, Bremen GA, by the way.

Thanks for the replies Bill.

Although I am a big Sprayberry's fan, I'm not a fan of their new restaurant by the interstate.  My mother lived in that apartment complex right across the street from the original for years.  I think my dad used to prefer Ric's.   ;D

And Mike Y is the dude, never thought of it that way, guess I never saw him in a bathrobe!

Ben Sims

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »
Bill,

I've never eaten at the one down by I-85.  And I never will.  I guarantee that Lewis Grizzard wouldn't either.  Uncle Ric's stuff is pretty damn good though.  He won "Best Butt in Georgia" down at the state fair two or three times.  Boston Butt=Pork shoulder.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
Bill,

I've never eaten at the one down by I-85.  And I never will.  I guarantee that Lewis Grizzard wouldn't either.  Uncle Ric's stuff is pretty damn good though.  He won "Best Butt in Georgia" down at the state fair two or three times.  Boston Butt=Pork shoulder.

If my family hadn't moved Newnan to San Francisco after WWII, I would have been a high school classmate of Lewis Grizzard!  We have a couple of very good mutual friends who still live in Newnan and were on the legendary trip to Gleneagles that's chronicled in "Does a Wild Bear Chip in the Woods?"   Very funny stuff.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »
Uncle Billy

Makes my heart glad to see folks "come out" and give you your due. Whats the point of a eulogy if that person doesn't hear it?

I earnestly hope we will tee it up again soon.  Altho i am not much active anymore GCA is one of the joys of my life and has been since 1999.

Best Regards
Wardo

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
Uncle Billy

Makes my heart glad to see folks "come out" and give you your due. Whats the point of a eulogy if that person doesn't hear it?

I earnestly hope we will tee it up again soon.  Altho i am not much active anymore GCA is one of the joys of my life and has been since 1999.

Best Regards
Wardo

You missed a great Buda!  Any chance of a surprise appearance at the Dixie Cup?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
Bill

Am trying to navigate thru this infernal  new (for me) paradigm to tell Michael of the tiger stripes that i would be a willing last minute alternate but i can't get there!!!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back