News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Starting now, Mon. 10/5: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
Bill Is not just a great GCA guy, he is a friend. Bill is blessed with the best of ladies to share life with. He will without fail with see the good in any situation. I hope all of you guys get to play with Bill one day.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Hey Bill,

Great to hear you choosing Elie as your favourite hidden gem - it was the most fun I had on a golf course something like 5 or 6 birdies as well as bogeys! I used to play there every year and its the perfect course to cater the top golfers down to novice beginners. 

Painswick is top 10 of future courses I most want to play thanks to GCA!

Always appreciate your vast knowledge of an endless number of golf courses! Look forward to many more in the future. Hope to meet you at next years BUDA!

Cheers

Ben

Thanks, Ben.  I hope to never miss a BUDA!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »

Bill,

How will you celebrate your 10,000 post?

Have you ever had Ginger Beer?

Tiger or Jack?

Garland or Kalen?

The first time you played Sawgrass, How did you do on 17?

THanks...Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »

Bill,

How will you celebrate your 10,000 post?       By deleting about 4,000 posts a la Sr. Huckaby!

Have you ever had Ginger Beer?  When I was 19 I worked in SE Washington State as a surveyor on a pipeline.  We lived in a tiny town where the members of the VFW or American Legion adopted us and taught us to drink Moscow Mules - vodka and ginger beer in a frosty copper mug.  I have never heard of this again, but yes, I did enjoy ginger beer.

Tiger or Jack?  Tom based on last summer's Open Championship.

Garland or Kalen?  I support them equally.  Can't say the same for you.   ;D

The first time you played Sawgrass, How did you do on 17?  Only played it once, made a 2.  It's a pretty easy hole from the member tee - 120 yards straight into the axis of the green, which is huge at that range.  Hit it 15' behind the stick, made the putt.  Life was good.  Don't ask about #18 where I bailed right into the trees.

THanks...Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »

Bill....Thanks for being a good sport.

Anthony

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
Bill,

Although we have met several times, I have not yet had the pleasure of playing with you. Hopefully that will change and we can get a game up in the North West next summer or else at the KP. Better having a game together than having me follow you!

Otherwise, what courses have you enjoyed the most up in this corner of the world, ie. in your summer digs in Oregon, Washington or BC? Also, any courses up here that are on your wish list?

Finally, are you concerned that Mayhugh may overtake your record for attending the most consecutive GCA events?

Regards. It was great to see you at  Buda!

Bob J

Sean Leary

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
Bill,

Although we have met several times, I have not yet had the pleasure of playing with you. Hopefully that will change and we can get a game up in the North West next summer or else at the KP. Better having a game together than having me follow you!

Otherwise, what courses have you enjoyed the most up in this corner of the world, ie. in your summer digs in Oregon, Washington or BC? Also, any courses up here that are on your wish list?

Finally, are you concerned that Mayhugh may overtake your record for attending the most consecutive GCA events?

Regards. It was great to see you at  Buda!

Bob J

I have it on good authority that Mayhugh turned down an invitation to a Top 25 course...Been there, done that, he said apparently...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »
Bill,

Otherwise, what courses have you enjoyed the most up in this corner of the world, ie. in your summer digs in Oregon, Washington or BC? Also, any courses up here that are on your wish list? I was a very happy non-resident member at Columbia-Edgewater in Portland, a very solid Macan course with way too many trees.  I miss that place, haven't been out that way and made the fatal mistake of calculating my cost per round.  I enjoyed playing at Pumpkin Ridge, and of course the Bandon trio are way up there.  I hope to get there next summer after Old Mac opens to see how it stacks up against NGLA!   I loved Capilano up your way in Vancouver, about the same amount I hated Furry Creek.  :o  I would love to play with you at your course up there and would also like to play Shaunnessy before I guess they plow it under.

Finally, are you concerned that Mayhugh may overtake your record for attending the most consecutive GCA events?  Mayhugh will definitely win that contest, it's just a matter of time!   He does love it over in England, his photo thread was post of the year.

Regards. It was great to see you at  BUDA!  I hereby promise to never tell another really rotten lawyer joke.  Your near revenge -- #13 at Rye -- could have been painful.  Looking forward to seeing you again, and yes next time we insist on being paired together!

Bob J

mike_malone

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
 Bill McBride= no agenda.
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 06:54:31 PM »
Bill McBride= no agenda.

Other than winning a singles match from Mayday one day!

Mayday Malone - tenacious!

(McBride 3 up after 10 holes at Rye has a birdie and a par in the last 8 holes and still manages to eke out a one down loss!)

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »
Bill,

As a fellow Floridian, you know well that FL courses take a pretty good beating on this site.  Much Most of it deserved.

However, I was curious to know what FL courses rank highly in your estimation?  Let's leave Seminole, Pine Barrens and TPC Sawgrass off the list.  I think most will agree (or not) that these 3 are all pretty well known to those outside of the state.  

Thanks,

Ben

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
Bill,

As a fellow Floridian, you know well that FL courses take a pretty good beating on this site.  Much Most of it deserved.

However, I was curious to know what FL courses rank highly in your estimation?  Let's leave Seminole, Pine Barrens and TPC Sawgrass off the list.  I think most will agree (or not) that these 3 are all pretty well known to those outside of the state.  

Thanks,

Ben

Ben, you have pretty much cleared the board!  I love our Pensacola CC course, not much else to love in the Panhandle.  I would love to play Pine Tree, Indian Creek, and Seminole which I have not played.  Jupiter Hills is highly rated I think.

Looking all across the state, there's just so much "Condos left, lake right, where's the gator?" golf.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
I have it on good authority that Mayhugh turned down an invitation to a Top 25 course...Been there, done that, he said apparently...

That's not quite how I remembered it.   ;)

Bill,
I really appreciated the comments in your opening post as well as our discussion over claret at Deal.  I, too, feel very fortunate to have found Golf Club Atlas.

Now to some questions:
1.  Did you ever have a course that really ignited your interest in golf architecture or is this something that just evolved?

2.  Can you think of a course that most surprised you in a positive sense?

3.  What course most disappointed you?

4.  You have a lot of passion for the GCA events (and yes, I'm gunning for your record).  Where would you most like to hold one, even if it's completely unrealistic (e.g. Augusta National)?

5.  What do you think about foursomes as a format for the second 18?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »
What is the best GCA event: Buda, Kings, or Dixie?

Can you sum up Valley Club in one sentence/statement?

THanks for all of your great contributions to GCA!
Chip

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

That's not quite how I remembered it.   ;)

Bill,
I really appreciated the comments in your opening post as well as our discussion over claret at Deal.  I, too, feel very fortunate to have found Golf Club Atlas.

Now to some questions:
1.  Did you ever have a course that really ignited your interest in golf architecture or is this something that just evolved?  Long before I played it, I studied the Old Course.  I knew it would be fascinating when I first got there and played it but it exceeded my expectations.

2.  Can you think of a course that most surprised you in a positive sense?  I was expecting Capilano to be very good but it was perhaps the best routing I've ever seen. 

3.  What course most disappointed you?  Bandon Dunes, which my brother the Oregonian prefers to Pacific Dunes to this day.  I didn't get it.  I didn't like the depressions with drains at the bottom and all the divots.  I was expecting golf nirvana and it didn't get there.

4.  You have a lot of passion for the GCA events (and yes, I'm gunning for your record).  Where would you most like to hold one, even if it's completely unrealistic (e.g. Augusta National)?  NGLA, Shinnecock and Maidstone, with an optional round at the Lido.  ;D

5.  What do you think about foursomes as a format for the second 18?  I really enjoy foursomes, particularly after a huge lunch that includes wine, port and kummel.  Foursomes is a very collegial game on both sides, as the non-drivers get to spend some quality time heading down the fairway together.   It's really hard to get Americans interested in foursomes on this side of the pond, too bad.

Mike_Young

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
Bill,

As a Southern golfer......bent grass or bermuda greens?   Overall courses....cool season grass or warm?

Do you think there are pure walkers in the SE in July and August afternoons or do they snea a cart here and there.....ain't no where that draining...

What do you see happening with panhandle area golf....

And for inquiring minds....

Would you go to a dentist that had a beard and a mustache with buggars in it?  Also would you play golf with such a person? ;D

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »
Bill,

As a Southern golfer......bent grass or bermuda greens?   Overall courses....cool season grass or warm?  I love bent but hate fans.  Have to learn to live with Tifdwarf but no overseeding.  I finally won that battle at PCC.  I do love bermuda as a playing surface in the winter when it's dormant.  "Overall courses" - cool season is great in a cool climate.  I loved the fescue and poa in England, fast & furious,

Do you think there are pure walkers in the SE in July and August afternoons or do they snea a cart here and there.....ain't no where that draining...  There may be walkers in July and August but it ain't this fat boy in Pensacola.  That's why I have to chuckle at Melvyn and his closed mind on the subject.  If there weren't carts, I wouldn't be playing.  I grew up in California but played a few times as a college boy in Georgia in the south - pre carts - I walked but oh my it was sweaty.

What do you see happening with panhandle area golf....Not much, we are overbuilt, I'm surprised we haven't had a couple close.

And for inquiring minds....

Would you go to a dentist that had a beard and a mustache with buggars in it? NO Also would you play golf with such a person? ;D  WHY NOT?

Hope you make it down to Longshadow for the pre-Dixie Cup round on whatever that Thursday is. 

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
Bill,

Where would you rate the 6th at The Bandit in your favorite renditions of the Redan?

What is your favorite ride at Schlitterbahn?

Do you consider Gruene Hall to be the perfect dance hall?

Do you prefer to float the Guadalupe over the cold Comal?

What is the best shot you've ever seen someone make with a six iron?

Cheers,
Wyatt

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
George,

I think I have grandchilden older than Bill.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »

Your favorite Scottish beer?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/6: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 02:50:42 AM »

One thing that might make this a better place is if more made the effort to make it to the GCA events - the Kings Putter, the Dixie Cup, the Buda Cup, or the informal get togethers that seem to be posted frequently.  It's hard to be too acrimonious with people you've played golf or broken bread with - or had a couple of cool pints with.   There is a great spirit of camaraderie among those who attend, and in these days, it's also a fun opportunity to get in some competitive match play golf.

Too right Bill, what have people got to lose by trying one of these events? Get with the fun crowd.  My ambition is to attend the Dixie Cup and the PP before I'm through. If anyone feels I've ever slighted them on here I'd like them to come over to me, say hello and I'll buy them the first drink.

BTW I meant to tell you at BUDA, Sheena at the Dunvegan was 50 this August and wanted to know why you weren't at the party. ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:12:19 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/6: Get To Know Bill McBride
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

One thing that might make this a better place is if more made the effort to make it to the GCA events - the Kings Putter, the Dixie Cup, the Buda Cup, or the informal get togethers that seem to be posted frequently.  It's hard to be too acrimonious with people you've played golf or broken bread with - or had a couple of cool pints with.   There is a great spirit of camaraderie among those who attend, and in these days, it's also a fun opportunity to get in some competitive match play golf.

Too right Bill, what have people got to lose by trying one of these events? Get with the fun crowd.  My ambition is to attend the Dixie Cup and the PP before I'm through. If anyone feels I've ever slighted them on here I'd like them to come over to me, say hello and I'll buy them the first drink.

BTW I meant to tell you at BUDA, Sheena at the Dunvegan was 50 this August and wanted to know why you weren't at the party. ;)

Sheena 50?   Sorry, that's not possible!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 08:41:08 AM »

Your favorite Scottish beer?

It's still Belhaven's Best, but my new favorite apres-golf drink is a Pimm's Cup.   It's dessert in a cocktail glass!

And thanks for the photo memories of our fun day at Olympic Club.  I guess that 8th hole is gone forever.  :o

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
What is the best GCA event: Buda, Kings, or Dixie?  They are all good events and a chance to see friends from different places.  The Buda has a special place because of the friendly competition between the GB&I fellows and the 'ROW' (Rest of the World) team.  Having a chance to spend some time in the golf culture of the old country is great fun as well.  When's the last time you saw a drying room in an American clubhouse, or see dogs walking with their owners on the golf course?  Or had a chance to play a foursomes match?  More Americans should give it a try, it's fast and fun.

Can you sum up Valley Club in one sentence/statement?  Tranquil perfection, great collection of par 4s

THanks for all of your great contributions to GCA!  My pleasure entirely, looking forward to meeting you at the Dixie Cup.
Chip

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
Bill,

Where would you rate the 6th at The Bandit in your favorite renditions of the Redan?  Ha ha, somewhere near the bottom I guess!

What is your favorite ride at Schlitterbahn?  This is inside stuff, we had a great family vacation in New Braunfels, TX.  The river ride at the Schlitterbaun is just right with a granddaughter in your tube on your lap!

Do you consider Gruene Hall to be the perfect dance hall?  I can't think of a better one.  Cold Shiner Bock tastes just like Belhaven's Best.

Do you prefer to float the Guadalupe over the cold Comal?  When it's 105o, the Comal feels just fine, thanks!

What is the best shot you've ever seen someone make with a six iron?  Was it something you hit at the Bandit?  I didn't see your ace at Kingsley!

Cheers,
Wyatt    Looking forward to next time, Wyatt.  Try to keep Ben under control.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back