News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

New member introduction: Donal O'Ceallaigh
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:45:53 AM »
I have been visiting GCA for a number of years, but only joined about 6 weeks ago. My name is Dónal Ó Ceallaigh.

I started playing golf when I was about 9 years old. My father had just started and was a member of Gweedore Golf Club (a 9 hole links course) in North West Donegal (Ireland). He used pay me 50 pence to accompany him, as I found it a bit boring in the beginning. I first became interested in golf course architecture when I was about 12. My uncle had a field with cattle next to our house, and I cut three small greens with a hedge clipper. The greens were remarkably good and to protect them from being damaged by the cattle, I used to place concrete blocks on them overnight. We moved house when I was about 13. Luckily for me, we had a hill at the back of our new house full of heather and whin bushes (gorse or "jaggies" as we call them in Donegal). After watching a golf tournament on TV at Walton Heath or Sunningdale (I can't remember), I decided to build two greens and seeded them. I managed to dig two bunkers as well and create heather faces on both. My course was called "Rocky Ledge" and had two greens, but 3 tees. I built up the tees (forward and back tees) as well and had painted markers and hole guides. It wasn't easy as you had to chip 20-30 yards over whin bushes, banks and fences, and then land on tiny hard greens (I didn't get around to installing an irrigation system  :D).

When my father became captain of Gweedore Golf Club, I was allowed to work on the course in the summer for £1 per hour (the money didn't matter). I was 15 years old and played off 11 handicap. I cut greens and fairways, but the most enjoyable part was repairing old bunkers and adding new ones. As the club committee didn't care much for architecture, I was allowed to use my limited knowledge to experiment. I altered a bunker on the 9th and created an island just like at the 18th in Muirfield. I added a bunker at the 1st hole which I styled on one of those pot bunkers to the left of the 16th at Carnoustie. It was a very enjoyable way to spend a summer.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to play much in the last 15 years (my "dark years" as CBMD said  :'(). Going to university, starting work, raising a family, moving to another country, etc., have all contributed to my absence from the golf course. I only recently started playing again and joined Bro-Bålsta golf club just outside Stockholm (Sweden). I did play to a 5 hcap as a teenager, but the club has kindly given me a 7 hcap to start with.

Most of my golfing has been played in Ireland with the vast majority played on links courses (which I prefer without a shadow of doubt). I'm quite envious when I read about all the great golf courses some of you have played. You're very lucky indeed! Here's a short list in no particular order, of some of the better courses I've played:

Rosapenna (Old)
Ballyliffin (Old)
Portsalon
Portnoo
Dunfanaghy
Donegal (Murvagh)
Portstewart (Strand)
Malone
Ballybunion (Old) (played it as a junior for £5 in 1985)
Lahinch (Old) (played it as a junior for £5 in 1985)
Royal Dublin
Mullingar
The Grange
Portmarnock Links
Laytown & Bettystown
Carlow
Tulfarris
Peel (Isle of Man)

I have played about 45 courses in Ireland, one in Scotland, one in the Isle of Man and two in Sweden. I hope to rapidly increase my list of courses in the next few years; it's catch-up time!

This is a wonderful site and it's amazing how knowledgeable you people are. I look forward to many interesting discussions.

Regards,
Dónal.

Scott Warren

Re: New member introduction: Donal O'Ceallaigh
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:56:52 AM »
Welcome, Donal. That story about you being given carte blanche to modify your local course is prety cool!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
Welcome Donal

I don't 'spose there are any pictures?  If you think about it what you were doing is exaclty what was going on everywhere 100+ years ago.

Looks like Eddie Hackett has managed to  steal your credit!
http://www.irishgolfcourses.co.uk/northwest/gweedore.php  

and these guys liked it.
http://www.golfeurope.com/clubs/gweedore/ 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:27:40 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:47 AM »
Tony:

Eddie Hackett did visit Gweedore and came up with a design for 18 holes (which I did see some years ago), but due to commonage disputes, the design was never used.  The club owns about 30% of the land and has bought some plots of land in recent years, but it's just not enough to make 18 holes. The club did expad to 18 holes in the early 1980s and again in 1989, but on both occasions, they had to revert back to 9 holes, as sheep farmers came out and stood in the middle of some fairways, as well as putting up fences to block the golfers from entering the common land.

I don't know who designed the existing 9 holes and I'm now wondering why I never took the time to find out. I'll ask some of the old members when I'm back home. I always assumed the current 9 holes just evolved by committee decisions.

I have some pics, but have no idea (a) how to reduce them to 300kB, and (b) post/attach them. Any advice?

Scott:

I fixed up a revetted bunker at the 5th and one member - who shall remain nameless - got stuck in it. I heard afterwards that he was so angry, he started ripping up the sods of the bunker face. When I checked afterwards, I did not see any damage, but I was a bit worried that I'd get into trouble for making the bunker too difficult. The face of the bunker was about 4 1/2 feet high and it was nearly vertical. It was my first attempt, so it's wasn't perfect.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
Photos would be great.

You will need to scan them in - usually your printer will do this but you need a program like Photoshop.  Just note where you have saved them on the computer.

and then

Either attach them using the new feature that appears at the bottom of a new post, blank - which I haven’t tried it yet

Or

The way I do it.

Open a free account with www.photobucket.com to host your photos.

Click on the ‘Bulk Uploader’ and locate them in your computer and select each one you want to upload. This will then take a few minutes. Make a cup of tea or refill glass.

Then hover the cursor over the picture and right click, this will cause 4 drop down options to appear below.  Copy the lowest one and paste it into a reply and when you select ‘Preview’ or ‘Post’ it will magically appear.

If you are in any doubt go to any photo thread and select a reply with pictures, if you select ‘Quote’ the text link for each photo will be shown and that’s what you’re trying to put into your post.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »
OK, I'll try the photobucket option.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »

Dónal

Welcome to GCA.com. A lover of the Links, that confirms the quality and reason for playing the game, but and it is a big but, I take it you do not need to fall back upon the works of the Devils i.e. distance aids of any sort or carts. :o

Should you answer incorrectly you will be categorized as pandering towards the American Game and (excuse me for swearing) Cart Balling - those words always make me repeat the immortal words "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." Seems apt for some reason and may explain some of the designs in the States. ;D

Which ever way you dress, welcome to the ‘Funny Farm’ and look forward to reading your topics and posts in due courses.

Melvyn

PS I was going to list  the names of some members you need to say clear of for the sake of your health and mental wellbeing, but that would eliminate nearly 1490 plus Members. ;)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
Melvyn:

Thank you.

I have never had the "experience" of travelling in a cart and it's not something I would be interested in. The only distance aids I've ever used are those "Strokesaver" guides you get at some of the bigger clubs. I don't have to have one, but it's sometimes nice to get one as they give you a nice picture of the layout.

I didn't realise what a contentious issue carts were, until I read some recent postings here. I presume it's not a big issue in the UK yet, except perhaps with new courses. There is a member at my old club that uses a cart, but he's 80 years old and has had a bad back for many years. The whole point about golf, in my opinion, is to get some fresh air, take a long walk and enjoy the scenery. The golf cart just shouldn't come into it ???. It seems a bit daft to me.

When I started playing golf about 30 years ago, there were a number of golfers in their 40s and 50s. These men are now in the 70s and 80s and they still play every week, rain or sunshine, and always walk. I believe that it's entirely due to golf, that these guys are so fit both mentally and physically. If I compare them to people in their 70s and 80s that don't play golf, it's clear to me that golf is great for the health. The Karolinska hospital in Stockholm has done some research on this as well.

I have followed - from the sidelines - some of the more heated discussions on this site, so I know who not to get into a fight with :D.

Dónal.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »
Carts became really contentious a while ago when Melvyn joined the site.   ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
Not to worry Donal, they are not private fights, 'anyone can join in'...  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Hello Donal,

welcome to this site - I am just back from Northern Ireland where I had the opportunity to play some great courses such as Malone, Royal Belfast, RCD, Royal Portrush and Clandeboy, allways with my pre-1930 hickory-shafted clubs! Didn't make it for any courses in the Republic, but there'll certainly be a next time.

As you might have noticed there is a strong group of hickory golfers at your new homeclub Bro-Balsta, so please say hello to Britta Nord (German Ladies Hickory Champion 2009), Michael Edin, Per Fylking or Patric Anderssonn if you meet them on the course - but be careful as they might try to make you play with hickories!!

Kind regards

Christoph Meister
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
Christoph:
What did you think about Malone and Royal Belfast?  I was in Northern Ireland this summer and we ultimately decided not to play any parkland courses, but those were the two we would've played if we had stopped in Belfast. 

Jack Vance

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
Welcome, Donal...from one Newbie to another!
Great write-up!

Christoph Meister

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
Christoph:
What did you think about Malone and Royal Belfast?  I was in Northern Ireland this summer and we ultimately decided not to play any parkland courses, but those were the two we would've played if we had stopped in Belfast. 

Carl,

I must say that I really enjoyed Malone, the main 18-hole course was very well kept - even the adjoining 9-hole Edenderry course was nice and even more difficult to play with narrow fairways and tough rough.

At Royal Belfast, where I also played with my friend who is a member at Malone GC since 1953 said it was the first time in all these years that RBGC was even better kept than Malone. I personally preferred the more classic Colt layout at Royal Belfast to the 1960's C.K. Cotton layout at Malone - at RBGC the spectacular views onto the Loch and Belfast (but shouldn't say so as my friend might read this post) made this a quite unforgettable round of golf in full sunshine - Even though RBGC is a parkland course directly on the sea and it is therefore not comparable to RCD and Royal Portrush it is still most enjoyable and fascinating....

I was told that an American golf course architect we all know well here on this site wrote in one of his books that Malone is not worth a visit - But then no one at Malone can recall that this guy ever visited Malone..Anyway I can only also recommend Malone, especially because of the clubhouse -I have never seen such a spacious but at the same time historic club house!

Last but not least even Clandeboye's Dufferin course was very nice - not only because it was designed by Germany's Bernhard von Limburger - it is the only von Limburger course I know off, that was shortened, because the member's felt it was too long - most visitors today play the AVA course which is shorter - in Germany the Dufferin Course would certainly be among the Top-50, but of course that doesn't mean anything in Ireland/Northern Ireland...

Regards

Christoph

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
Bill

Thanks Bill, ‘really contentious’, I see, well consistent if nothing else I hope...

However, I prefer to raise the issues and question why a ‘Cult of Laziness’ was allowed to infect the game of golf as it has. The introduction of the cart and even worst still, the cart track should be described as nothing less than total collateral damage not just to our courses but the real identity of our game of golf.

The whole game has been contaminated by its introduction. Don’t see it or believe it then look to the type of courses it has spawned:-
Courses on housing developments with the introduction of long Green to Tee distances.
Courses built in sites not suitable for the game
Cart Balling courses
Old & New Courses scarred with tracks to minimise wear and tear on the course.
For me the worst of all offences against the Game of Golf is allowing 'No Walking Courses' and having the cheek to still call the game golf.

Thank God, some are starting to stand up against the cart and No Walking courses, but it should never have been allowed to get to this position.

I am against the cart, but the laws of the game allow them and I have no power to do anything but keep raising the issue. This issue, IMHO is most fundamental to the future of the game, it dictates the design of courses, the location of courses, the very nature of the courses and how the game is to be played. If we had carts in the old days we may never have had the great courses or their designers, something worth thinking about when we try and judge modern architects perhaps.

Those who just play the game care not for the actual game, their enjoyment comes from doing it their way, or getting a low score. Many others have a deeper connection to the game and want to keep it as it has been played over the centuries.

What will happen, will it in the final analyses be down to money, health or the Devil may care attitude that seems to embrace our modern world. Who knows?

Bill ‘‘really contentious’, yes I suppose you are right, want to help?

Melvyn      

PS Dónal, This is not an argument but just an opinion. I expect it will not attract any attention as just a response to Bill's comment ;)  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »
Sorry Melvyn, I just wanted to give you a tweak as there had been no mention whatsoever of carts until you came along to welcome Donal and threw in the anti-cart line for what reason I have no idea.

Actually i wish I had been riding in a cart yesterday when my wife and I were caught at the 4th tee in a sudden downpour and walked in under umbrellas.  Luckily we had carried those with us as the skies were ominous but no rain forecast!

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
Welcome, Donal! I envy you being able to build your own little course, Rocky Ledge. I've daydreamed about doing something like that for a long time. Good on ya!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »
A sort of goofy question here:  How did you get to Peel but not Castletown?   :)

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
 I'm interested in whether Dunfanaghy is worth a visit if one has already played Portsalon and Narin/Portnoo and wants to experience more Donegal links golf. BTW,  I assume you haven't seen the changes to both Portsalon and N/P.
AKA Mayday

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 04:27:02 PM »
Bill

Thanks Bill, ‘really contentious’, I see, well consistent if nothing else I hope...

However, I prefer to raise the issues and question why a ‘Cult of Laziness’ was allowed to infect the game of golf as it has. The introduction of the cart and even worst still, the cart track should be described as nothing less than total collateral damage not just to our courses but the real identity of our game of golf.

The whole game has been contaminated by its introduction.

Melvyn, many of us agree with you on the topic of carts, but I for one can't see what you seek to achieve by mentioning it in every thread you contribute to, however inappropriate or off topic it is. What has Donal's arrival got to do with carts?

Maintain the rage, but everything in its right place, surely? It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Jason:

It's was a long time ago, but we drove down to Castletown and I think the weather might have been very bad. I just remember sitting in the car while my father went into the hotel to get a card of the course.

Christophe:

I don't know these members as I've just joined, but yes, there is a big interest in playing hickory golf clubs at the club. They have regular competitions and they recently played the Sweden-Finland team match here.

Christophe, Carl:

I haven't played Royal Belfast, but I was fortunate enought to be a Queen's University student member of Malone for two years. I really liked the course, especially the first 9 (Drumbridge) on the 18 hole course. The course was always in perfect condition and totally empty on Ladies day. It was a pleasure to play there and as you said, the clubhouse is very nice. It is probably my favourite parkland course. It's wondefully undulating and you'd hard pressed to find better par 4s than the 4th, 7th and 10th. The 3rd and 6th are also fine holes. The 16th is a good hole were accuracy is vital.
The third 9 (Edenderry) is quite different to the main 18, and definitely worth playing.

I still have my Glenmuir Malone GC jumper and wear it whenever I can.

Mike:

It all depends on what you can fit in. I would place Dunfanaghy after Rosapenna (Old), Ballyliffin (Old), Portsalon, Portnoo, Donegal, but ahead of North-West, Cruit, Otway, Gweedore, Falcarragh, Letterkenny, Ballybofey and Bundoran. I haven't played Greencastle or Buncrana Municipal. I hear Sandy Hills isn't so popular, but Glashedy is pretty good; I haven't played either of them.

I really enjoy playing Dunfanaghy as it's the type of course and can make you feel good. You can have a run of good scores as it's quite short, but there's a real sting in the tail. The last 3 holes can really wreck a card (I know by bitter experience). Don't let the yardage fool you, it a fine course and has some great holes. The stretch from the 6th to the 10th is very interesting and the views are wonderful. The par three 9th is the feature hole. You hit over a small inlet and the green is nestled below a hill. There is a hollow running right through the back of the green, so it's important not to overclub as you can get stuck on the hill, and have an impossible chip back to the hole. The par three 17th is also a great hole. It's a very popular course and I've never heard of anybody being disappointed with it.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »
Jason:

Christophe:

I don't know these members as I've just joined, but yes, there is a big interest in playing hickory golf clubs at the club. They have regular competitions and they recently played the Sweden-Finland team match here.

Christophe, Carl:

I haven't played Royal Belfast, but I was fortunate enought to be a Queen's University student member of Malone for two years. I really liked the course, especially the first 9 (Drumbridge) on the 18 hole course. The course was always in perfect condition and totally empty on Ladies day. It was a pleasure to play there and as you said, the clubhouse is very nice. It is probably my favourite parkland course. It's wondefully undulating and you'd hard pressed to find better par 4s than the 4th, 7th and 10th. The 3rd and 6th are also fine holes. The 16th is a good hole were accuracy is vital.
The third 9 (Edenderry) is quite different to the main 18, and definitely worth playing.

I still have my Glenmuir Malone GC jumper and wear it whenever I can.

Donal,

I am sure you'll meet these hickory-playing members soon, so whenever you do please give them a big hello. Next year the Swedish Hickory Championship will be played at Stockholm so I might be coming up there.

Also I forgot to say, but I also really liked your story about designing your private course, something I have also been thinking of, but in a city
like Hamburg I am just lacking the space for a private course....

Donal & Carl

Regarding Malone I perfectly agree with your summary, it's a good description for Carl - I'll post some pictures from Royal Belfast if you are interested and once I have more time, but I am just back from a trip to Italy so still need to organise a few things.

Regards

Christoph

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
 Donal,

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I expect we see things similarly. I thought Cruit Island was a little goofy, but it did have that one memorable and picturesque hole.
AKA Mayday

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Christoph (sorry I mispelt your name in the last post):

Make sure you contact me if you're coming to Stockholm. It would be nice to meet a fellow GCA'er.

Mike:

The views from Cruit are stunning, but I didn't think much of the course itself when I first played it. As a native of Donegal, you tend not to let the views cloud your experience (most Donegal courses have stunning views anyway), so my opinion on Cruit is based on the the course itself. I recall some greens just didn't blend in with the terrain. The were artifical steps up to one or two of them. Maybe they have worked on this, but it's not a course I'd be dying to return to. I recall that the land a mile or two before Cruit is quite impressive; I always thought it would be a good site for a course.

I presume it's the par 3 across the gorge you're referring to?

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »

The whole game has been contaminated by its introduction. Don’t see it or believe it then look to the type of courses it has spawned:-
Courses on housing developments with the introduction of long Green to Tee distances.
Courses built in sites not suitable for the game
Cart Balling courses
Old & New Courses scarred with tracks to minimise wear and tear on the course.
For me the worst of all offences against the Game of Golf is allowing 'No Walking Courses' and having the cheek to still call the game golf.

Thank God, some are starting to stand up against the cart and No Walking courses, but it should never have been allowed to get to this position.

I am against the cart, but the laws of the game allow them and I have no power to do anything but keep raising the issue. This issue, IMHO is most fundamental to the future of the game, it dictates the design of courses, the location of courses, the very nature of the courses and how the game is to be played. If we had carts in the old days we may never have had the great courses or their designers, something worth thinking about when we try and judge modern architects perhaps.

Question for you Melvin.  I have read numerous threads here in the last year or two where you have railed vehemently against carts.  Perhaps you have been asked, and answered this question previously, but I don't recall it.

If you couldn't play otherwise (bad blister, sciatic nerve problem, busted toe, gout, etc.)  would you use a  cart to play?  OR--Would you give up the game entirely?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back