News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Asian Golf Quiz
« on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:21 AM »
My flight from Tokyo to LAX is delayed by two hours, so I've got time to post the seven questions of my Asian Golf Quiz, based on stuff I've learned in the last two weeks of travel through India, China, Hong Kong and Japan.  Please just post your seven answers and I will award a prize for first place in a couple of days.  First person to get all seven correct answers wins -- but nobody will get them all 100% correct, so closest to the hole wins.

1.  What are the monthly dues for members at Delhi Golf Club, the oldest club in Delhi, right in the city?

2.  How many pieces of property did the developer of Golden Greens Golf Club (on the outskirts of Delhi) have to buy in order to build his course?

3.  What is the average number of years it takes to get planning permits for a new project in Vietnam?

4.  How many golf courses does Greg Norman's firm currently have under construction in China?

5.  What is the cost of a full Platinum membership at Mission Hills China, allowing access to the two private courses as well as the public ones?

6.  How old is the youngest full member at Mission Hills?

7.  How many golf carts does Mission Hills have on site?

Best of luck to everyone!

Jonathan Cummings

Re: Asian Golf Quiz
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:41:53 AM »
I couldn't come close to answering even one of them!

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:47:51 AM »
Since I am having a sleepless night maybe this will help me doze, so here goze  :)  :

1.$150 US
2. One
3. Indefinite
4. One
5. $1000 US
6. 7 years old
7. 1000 golf carts

Good night
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Paul Nash

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:20:45 AM »
Pure guess work!
1. $4,500
2. 28,000
3. 14
4. 12
5. $500,000
6. 48
7. 1,200

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »
1  $104.72
2  4 properties
3  2 years
4  1 course
5  I didn't see platinum but gold is $550,000
6  14 years old
7  500 golf carts

I think I might be wrong on only 5 or 6 of them  ;D

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:21:15 AM »
1.  $55.00

2.  110 properties

3.  1 year

4.  2 courses

5. $1 000 000

6.  45

7.  1500 golf carts
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 05:33:42 AM »
I'll try for: -

1 - $100.00 per month

2 - 1000

3 - 3 years

4 - 50

5 - US $250,000.00

6 - 3 years old

7 - 3000 carts

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »
1 - 5,800 rupees

2 - 5,376  

3 - 3 years

4 - One

5 - 3.4 million Chinese yuan

6 - 5 years old

7 - 1300 carts
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:59:05 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:08:55 AM »
1 - 100,000 rupees

2 - 146

3 - trick question - you can get a permit over the counter as long as you pay cash  ;)

4 - is this how many he says he hs under construction or the number he actually has under construction ? I'll guess none.

5 - $1million

6 - 83

7 - another trick question, ever since they brought Melvyn in as consultant they have sold all there golf carts and are now using local school kids as caddies.

Tom, when I get first prize am I likely to lose my amateur status ?

Niall

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »
My flight from Tokyo to LAX is delayed by two hours, so I've got time to post the seven questions of my Asian Golf Quiz, based on stuff I've learned in the last two weeks of travel through India, China, Hong Kong and Japan.  Please just post your seven answers and I will award a prize for first place in a couple of days.  First person to get all seven correct answers wins -- but nobody will get them all 100% correct, so closest to the hole wins.

1.  What are the monthly dues for members at Delhi Golf Club, the oldest club in Delhi, right in the city?

2.  How many pieces of property did the developer of Golden Greens Golf Club (on the outskirts of Delhi) have to buy in order to build his course?

3.  What is the average number of years it takes to get planning permits for a new project in Vietnam?

4.  How many golf courses does Greg Norman's firm currently have under construction in China?

5.  What is the cost of a full Platinum membership at Mission Hills China, allowing access to the two private courses as well as the public ones?

Random guesses:

1.  4000 rupees
2.  250
3.  0 with the right $$.  Otherwise, 3-5 years
4.  10
5.  $1.5mm
6.  5 years old.  The son of some mega gajillionaire
7.  1000
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »
More importantly, what did you take away, architecturally from the areas and courses you hadn't seen before?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »

$12

$1,000,000

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »
1.  $11 a month
2.  635 parcels
3.  4.5 years
4.  9 courses
5.  $1.5 Million and 1....
6.  13 years old (I've met the manager and he is young - is he a full member?)
7.  5,001 carts (most of them to get around inside the battleship sized clubhouses)

I took my guesses first and then looked at the others.... to adjust "The Price is Right" style..... see #5 & #7.  :)
Charlie and I seem to be on the same page in more than one respect.

Cheers

This was fun.
Ask some more.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
1.  $20 USD
2.  200
3.  10
4.  1
5.  $1 Million USD
6.  12
7.  300

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »

1.  What are the monthly dues for members at Delhi Golf Club, the oldest club in Delhi, right in the city?
$30

2.  How many pieces of property did the developer of Golden Greens Golf Club (on the outskirts of Delhi) have to buy in order to build his course?
3.  What is the average number of years it takes to get planning permits for a new project in Vietnam?
4.  How many golf courses does Greg Norman's firm currently have under construction in China?
5.  What is the cost of a full Platinum membership at Mission Hills China, allowing access to the two private courses as well as the public ones?

6.  How old is the youngest full member at Mission Hills?
7.  How many golf carts does Mission Hills have on site?

[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:27:20 PM by Jim Colton »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
-The equivalent of $8 U.S.

- The equivalent of $12,000 U.S.

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
really interesting questions, and answers. What are the rules/guidelines in a country that is desperately poor and yet boasts a middle class approaching 300 million people, or a communist China that has special economic zones (wild wests) bigger than some G8 countries?

Peter  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:21:13 PM by PPallotta »

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 05:10:01 PM »
Great quiz, stud.  I have no idea, but like the others, I'll answer as if the answers are on the tip of my tongue.

1.  What are the monthly dues for members at Delhi Golf Club, the oldest club in Delhi, right in the city?
A:  200 rupees per month (about $4)

2.  How many pieces of property did the developer of Golden Greens Golf Club (on the outskirts of Delhi) have to buy in order to build his course?
A:  46

3.  What is the average number of years it takes to get planning permits for a new project in Vietnam?
A: 6

4.  How many golf courses does Greg Norman's firm currently have under construction in China?
A: 18

5.  What is the cost of a full Platinum membership at Mission Hills China, allowing access to the two private courses as well as the public ones?
A:  1 million Chinese yuan (about $146,000)

A:  4 years old.

A:  900

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »

A: $1000

A: 2500

A: 1

A: 3

A: $10,000,000 (US)

A: 72. turning 73 on November 19.  He has fourteen grandchildren, twelve of whom play more than once weekly as $1250 per visit guests, but they are not themselves members.  Known as "Hank" among friends, he likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.

A: 110 per course (990, right)?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:32:29 PM by wwhitehead »

DMoriarty

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »

65$ (US)

One or less.  

One.

RMB 1,680,000.00  (Approx. $245,000 US)

6 years old.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:01:55 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
There are at least three correct answers so far.

I'll leave the contest open tonight and post the correct answers whenever I wake up tomorrow.  Determining the winner may take me a day or two.

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
Just re-read question 4 - thought it said in planning!  I'll change my answer to 11.

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »

Uninformed guesses at best.

1)  $50 (US)

2)  64

3)  4 years

4)  3 in construction

5)  I thought it was called "Charter Diamond".  I'll say $1.5 mil (US)

6)  8 years old

7)  3000 golf carts

Cristian

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »

50 usd
40 k usd pa , 600k usd joining
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:34:29 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »

From diligent research with a couple guesses here and there.

1. $65

2. 1,131 pieces of property

3. 5 years

4. 1 course

5. $1,680,000

6. 7 years old

7. 1,800 golf carts

BTW - I was thinking an appropriate gift for the winner might be an autographed copy of The Confidential Guide or a round at Old Mac with the architect. Just a thought. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:23:49 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back