News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Becoming a golf architect New
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
Hey everyone, how does one go about becoming a golf course architect? Is there a way to work your way up the ranks? What would one need to become part of a design firm? What are your stories?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:20:17 PM by Frank M »

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Becoming a golf architect
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »
Frank,

Too tired to type much now, but try the ASGCA site and call them.  We have a bunch of publications, some online, that discuss just that.  I also recalled the story of me becoming a gca in my "get to know Jeff Brauer" thread a month back. I am pretty sure Mike Young posited on his entree into the business as well, and there are some, ahem, younger professional on this site as well.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Frank M

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:49:20 AM »
Frank,

Too tired to type much now, but try the ASGCA site and call them.  We have a bunch of publications, some online, that discuss just that.  I also recalled the story of me becoming a gca in my "get to know Jeff Brauer" thread a month back. I am pretty sure Mike Young posited on his entree into the business as well, and there are some, ahem, younger professional on this site as well.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks a lot for the response. I will definitely do that.

Again, I'm sorry if this has all been covered. I wasn't sure what to look for in my search criteria.

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
Frank....I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill myself!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tony_Muldoon

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:02:51 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:41:10 AM »
Mike Young would say "Have someone pay you to design a course and you are an architect.... or to put up a website saying you are one."

Do you know how many associates were laid off from firms this year?
That wouldn't be a way I'd recommend.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »
Frank:

Perhaps the more interesting question and answer is the various ways those who created some of the best courses ever done became golf architects! It gets pretty interesting if one considers how some architects became architects around the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, and the second interesting consideration is not just what they did by why they did it the way they did at that early time!  ;)

Furthermore, I've always believed there are actually at least three, perhaps four quite different areas or phases of golf course architecture and most of us either don't and never have appreciated well enough the distinctions between them.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:51:03 AM by TEPaul »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back