News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Kalen Breaks 80 For First Time
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »

GONGRATULATIONS!!! Our very own breaks 80 for the first time in his golfing life. Glendale Golf Course in Salt Lake City fell victum. Playing from 6400 yards with 69/114 slope and rating Kalen comes in with 77 including three birdies.

Discuss....

Kalen Braley

Re: Kalen Breaks 80 For First Time
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Lol....

I guess the secret is out now!!   ;D

It was a very fun round where everything actually came together for once for the 1st time in years.  The Driver and 3 wood all played nice for me today, irons weren't great, but didn't hurt me either.  I did have a 3 jack when I started choking a bit on the 12th hole when I realized I could go sub-80.....feels great though. 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
It's nice to have a little cushion on the 18th tee, isn't it? :)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
It's nice to have a little cushion on the 18th tee, isn't it? :)

It was very nice having those 3 strokes...shoulda been 4 after missing a 4.5 footer for par on 17...

Jon Nolan

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
I used to go out with the daughter of the head pro at Glendale.  She was smokin' hot but more than a littlebit  crazy.  In hindsight I should have been more tolerant of the crazy.  Did I mention she was smokin' hot? 

Congrats Kalen.  I've been knocking on that door for about three years but nobody's answering. 

BTW, hopefully you were at it yesterday while I sat at work looking wistfully out the window at the best golf day of the year.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
I used to go out with the daughter of the head pro at Glendale.  She was smokin' hot but more than a littlebit  crazy.  In hindsight I should have been more tolerant of the crazy.  Did I mention she was smokin' hot? 

Congrats Kalen.  I've been knocking on that door for about three years but nobody's answering. 

BTW, hopefully you were at it yesterday while I sat at work looking wistfully out the window at the best golf day of the year.

Thanks Jon,

Crazy is awsome if they're smoking hot..just prolly not the marrying type thats all!!  :)

We need to get together and go play soon...where are you hankering to go?

Kalen

Jon Nolan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Kalen,

We have a tee time at Sleepy Ridge for tomorrow at 9:00 with only three guys going.  You are very welcome to join us.  It's under my name.  The weather looks iffy but short of a downpour we'll be there. 

No golf next week and the week after that I'll be in Dublin (alas, no golf).  So tomorrow is probably it for me until late October. 

Hope you can make it.  Look for the short guy with a blue Grom bag and a USA driver cover.  We'll be there at about 8:30.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
Kalen,

We have a tee time at Sleepy Ridge for tomorrow at 9:00 with only three guys going.  You are very welcome to join us.  It's under my name.  The weather looks iffy but short of a downpour we'll be there. 

No golf next week and the week after that I'll be in Dublin (alas, no golf).  So tomorrow is probably it for me until late October. 

Hope you can make it.  Look for the short guy with a blue Grom bag and a USA driver cover.  We'll be there at about 8:30.

Jon,

Sounds good...I'll c if I can't get out tommorow.

Kalen

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »

Kalen,

Thanks for calling me with the great news. Bill McBride has my number for when he shoots his age.

Anthony

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:17 PM »
Congratulations Kalen!!! It's always a great feeling breaking a personal milestone. And it you did it by three shots to boot.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
Congratulations Dude!

Anthony always liked you best! He didn't announce my 79 this summer after I told him about it. ;D But then I don't know how many times I have broken 80.

Slope 114? I guess I can't complain, slope where I played was 94. ;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
Kalen-  Congrats!  It is always fun breaking those milestones.  Great for you.  No idea what slope rating is all about but all that matters is you took less than 80 strokes....have a beer (or three) tonight!

Chip

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:51:01 PM »
Congrats kalen.  Way to go!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ron Csigo

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
Congrats Kalen.  Did you break 40 on both 9s?  What were your scores for each nine?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
Thanks all,

I told Anthony what the slope rating was so he wouldn't think it was a pushover course.  ;D It wasn't a tough course by any means but it did have several long par 4s which are usually my nemesis...(5 par 4s were 400 yards and longer)

I shot a +2 on the front, bogeyed both par 5s...go figure. Followed it up with a +3 on the back where I birdied both of the par 5s.   :D

The lone blemish on the card, (single bogeys are never bad for a hack like me), was the 14th hole where I made double bogey after a poor approach and ensuing poor chip.  I also missed two short putts (5 footers)...grrr.

P.S.  I did walk the course too so it can't be said it was a "cart-balling" 77!!!   ;D

P.P.S.  I also almost made my 1st eagle but my eagle chip lipped out!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:18:47 PM by Kalen Braley »

C. Squier

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
Who gives a shit what the slope/rating was....congrats on the accomplishment. 

I've been lucky to be with several golfers who broke 80 for the first time.  Nobody ever shoots 79, they always blow by it by a few shots.  Funny how that works!

CPS

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
Kalen

I presume you played off the right tees ?  ;D  ;D (just joshin....)

Well done - a good accomplishment particularly with 3 birdies in the round to boot !!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
Kalen

Well done - a good accomplishment particularly with 3 birdies in the round to boot !!

Lol...they were the blues....6400 yards...but yes I figured someone would ask if it was the 5200 yard kiddie tees :)

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
 8) now all you have to do is validate it!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:49:29 PM »
8) now all you have to do is validate it!

Its taken me 13 years to do this...i guess another 13 to do it again!!   ;D

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
Kalen

Lol...they were the blues....6400 yards...but yes I figured someone would ask if it was the 5200 yard kiddie tees :)

At SLC elevation, isn't 6400 really like 5200?
;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
Congrats big fella, I wish I was there. So where does that take your handicap? I may not have to give you a stroke a hole any longer ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
Congrats big fella, I wish I was there. So where does that take your handicap? I may not have to give you a stroke a hole any longer ;D.

My last 3 rounds have been better.  I shot a 86 a month ago, what would have been a nice 85 if I hadn't screwed up the last 4 holes, 2 weekends ago...and then the 77 on Saturday.  I need to enter my scores, but guessing I'll go from a 19 to a 17...if i'm lucky!! :)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »
77 off 19 hcap. That's some nett score. Must be a record?

Congratulations! Well done for keeping it together on the back 9. It's always a nerve wrecker when you're trying to avoid the wheels coming off.

Dónal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back