News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Mimran

Montauk Downs Front Nine Routing
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »
Played Montauk Downs this weekend.  Thouroughly enjoyed the course, conditions were great and the wind was wipping.  I had two issues with the course though. 

One being some of the Rees Jones bunkers do not fit in. 

The other being the routing on the front nine.  Looking at an old aerial map of the course in the clubhouse it showed the current fourth hole to be the former first hole.  Does anyone know when this was changed?  I'm assuming it was done to accomadate a golf cart staging area.  It's a real shame, as the current routing stands you play 1-3 then your back at the clubhouse to get to 4 you walk through the driving range and the putting green.  This really disrupts the round, being that the course is so busy. 

All in all it's not a huge deal, but just wondering if anyone knew if that was the actual reason it was changed.

Chris_Blakely

Re: Montauk Downs Front Nine Routing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
Mike,

Are the routings the same (current versus former)?  I always got the impression that the Jones'es redid everything - especially since Captain H.C. Tippett's verssion of Montauk Downs is in Dan Wexler's first book Missing Links.

Chris

Mike Sweeney

Re: Montauk Downs Front Nine Routing
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »
I probably played it for the first time in 1988. It has been that same routing since then.

Not sure why they would have changed it as the current second hole as a Par 3 always backs up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back