News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Northwood GC question
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »
Northwood was built across the Russian River from the Bohemian Club. In 1925, then Bohemian member Jack Neville proposed the idea of building a course there and then presented the project to MacKenzie, who then built the course in 1928 (according to Northwoods Club history). Any ideas on why Neville would not have taken on the course design himself? The man did afterall design the original Pebble Beach course (w/ Grant), later did the back nine at Pacific Grove and aided Thomas and Bell at Bel Air. Does anyone have more info?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Kelly

Re: Northwood GC question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
Does anyone have more info?

No other than don't go out of your way to play it.  There is an interesting little green or two still there but thats it.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Rick Shefchik

Re: Northwood GC question
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
The Northwood web site gives MacKenzie and Robert Hunter credit for "the remodeling of Pebble Beach Golf Links in 1927-28..."

I can't recall reading anything about that. Maybe it's been discussed here many times, but what did M&H do at Pebble Beach?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back