News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trent Dixon

New member from Aus
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »
Hello all, just a quick not to introduce myself. My name is Trent Dixon, I'm a 30 year old from Brisbane in Australia. I've been playing golf since I was 11 and have really been interested in golf course architecture since my early teens. I was fortunate enough to be a member of the Queensland state squad in my early 20's and as a result got to play many of Australia's finest courses. My favourites being Kingston Heath, RMW, Barnbougle Dunes, Victoria and one a bit out of left field Glenelg (Neil Crafter did an amazing job, a really fun golf course). I've just recently rejoined Pacific golf club after a break from golf, currently playing off 6 but hoping to get that down a few strokes soon.

I've been lurking in the shadows on this site for the last 4 or 5 years and decided it was time to join the party. I look forward to contributing my humble opinions to the conversations on this site, and hopefully meeting some of you at some point in the future.

Cheers

Chip Gaskins

Re: New member from Aus
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:01 AM »
Welcome, Trent.

We have an amazingly knowledgeable and interesting group from Oz on here!

Hope to get down there at some point to see some of your great courses/places.

Chip

Trent Dixon

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
Thanks Chip,

My biased opinion of course, but it really is a wonderful country. Unfortunately there aren't too many high quality courses in my part of the country, but the climate and lifestyle goes a long way towards making up for that.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »

Trent,

Have you played outside your home country?

Anthony

Trent Dixon

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
I haven't yet played outside of Australia, but I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK to see the open at TOC and US next year. I'll be fitting in as much golf as possible while over there.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
I haven't yet played outside of Australia, but I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK to see the open at TOC and US next year. I'll be fitting in as much golf as possible while over there.

Welcome to the site. If you find yourself in Pennsylvania, shoot me a message.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »

Hi Trent and Welcome

Need to know are you a real walking golfer or a cart playing part time golfer?

Don’t let me down, you guys from 'Down Under' are meant to be real Men, so
into real Golf or a closet golfer?  ;)

Melvyn

PS Which do you like Shallow or Deep bunkers?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
Welcome Trent.

Good to see another Aussie on board. If you're ever in Sydney, or want to have a hit at Newcastle (my home course), give me a yell.

Andrew

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
Welcome aboard Trent

I'm a member at Wollongong (NSW) about an hour south of Sydney. If you're ever in Sydney and want to come down for a game drop me a line.

How's Pacific playing these days ? Have you been out the the new Royal Qld yet ?

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:58:25 PM »
Welcome to the site Trent. It sounds like there will be a GCA invasion coming your way in 2011. There are a great group of GCA'ers down in Australia that I had the good fortune of getting together with a few years back when I made the trip down.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Robin Doodson

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:48:12 AM »
Hi Trent,

i'm a newbie myself and based just down the road from you at Sanctuary Cove on the Gold Coast. I am the Super there and we are currently building a new golf course with Ross Watson. It is taking shape very nicely and might actually add a golf course of architectural significance to the gold coast. Any time you want to come and have a look or have a game of golf drop me a message.

cheers

robin

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 01:16:54 AM »
G'day Trent, welcome aboard!

I'm not from here but I live in Brisbane right now, so if you want we could catch up sometime! Where about in Brisbane do you live?

Trent Dixon

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »

Welcome to the site. If you find yourself in Pennsylvania, shoot me a message.
Thanks George, will be sure to let you know. Where do you play most of your golf?

Hi Trent and Welcome

Need to know are you a real walking golfer or a cart playing part time golfer?

Don’t let me down, you guys from 'Down Under' are meant to be real Men, so
into real Golf or a closet golfer?  ;)

Melvyn

PS Which do you like Shallow or Deep bunkers?

Definitely a walking golfer Melvyn, hate playing in carts. On the bunker issue, it's probably the strongest part of my game, so deep is best, I don't see the point of shallow bunkers.

Welcome Trent.

Good to see another Aussie on board. If you're ever in Sydney, or want to have a hit at Newcastle (my home course), give me a yell.

Andrew
Often in Sydney Andrew, I played the NSW Mid-Am a few months ago at Killara, great club, average course. Last time I was down I played Castle Hill and Ryde-Parra, very soft, I'd love to have another round at Castle Hill in dry conditions, there were some pretty interesting holes. Driving past The Lakes from the airport is very distracting, I'd love to have another game there, now that the changes are complete, the front nine looks fantastic frm the motorway. I'd love to have a game at Newcastle some time too, have heard many great things about it. Have you played Belmont recently? Have they done any more work on the course, it's been years since I played the Lake Macquarie there.

Welcome aboard Trent

I'm a member at Wollongong (NSW) about an hour south of Sydney. If you're ever in Sydney and want to come down for a game drop me a l

How's Pacific playing these days ? Have you been out the the new Royal Qld yet ?
Likewise Kevin, I was down that way earlier in the year but didn't get to play, is the redesign complete?
Pacific is suffering from the dry conditions over the past few months, playing very firm and fast, I hit it in some places today I haven't been in since I was a good golfer. I've played the new RQ maybe a dozen times now, the first couple it seemed a little dis-jointed, like it didn't flow that well, but I'm beginning to warm to it. I'm yet to see the greens in really great condition though, they've been pretty grainy and thatchy when I've been there which takes away too many of the options you can see have been incorporated. There's one green in particular I'd be interested to hear Mike Clayton's thoughts on though, I'm not really a fan. The 7th green has what has been affectionately named by the members at the "arse crack" running through the middle of it, you'll know what I mean if you've played the course.

Hi Trent,

i'm a newbie myself and based just down the road from you at Sanctuary Cove on the Gold Coast. I am the Super there and we are currently building a new golf course with Ross Watson. It is taking shape very nicely and might actually add a golf course of architectural significance to the gold coast. Any time you want to come and have a look or have a game of golf drop me a message.

cheers

robin
Robin, I was down at the Cove a few weeks ago with a mate from Sydney, used to play the Pines all the time with a guy I went to uni with who had family membership there. I'd love to come down some time and see how it is coming along.

G'day Trent, welcome aboard!

I'm not from here but I live in Brisbane right now, so if you want we could catch up sometime! Where about in Brisbane do you live?
Emil, are you going to Kelvin Grove? I went there, it was a fantastic experience, the best 2 years of my life so far. I live at Wynnum.

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:17 AM »
Welcome Trent, good to have another Aussie on the board. Hope you can make it to the Aussie event we are planning for late 2010-early 2011. If you make it over here next year and are passing through London, drop me a line and we'll have a hit down at Deal or at one of the London tracks.

cheers,
Scott

Emil Weber

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:27:54 AM »
Yeah Trent, I go to KG. I am having agreat time here, nice people, nice places, nice everything. The best 6 months of my life? Probably! ;D

Trent Dixon

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »
Thanks Scott, I'll be doing everything I can to make it to the event down here. Can't pass up an opportunity to see the sandbelt again if that's where it ends up being, and can't wait to see The Lost Farm either. It's hard to believe it could be better than the original, but that's the word from some pretty good judges.

I'd love to have a round with you at deal or one of the London courses, if/when I get over there.

It's funny Emil, I appreciated it while I was there, but even more when I'd finished.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
Trent

If you call 4 holes complete then no  :'(

Unfortunately funding was an issue and we're left with a bit of a schizo course at the moment. Some of the new work was good and on paper the redeign looks very good. Hopefully one day in my lifetime it will get finished....

The club has decided to host the NSW PGA championship this year. Hopefully the winds will get up and they will find it a challenge - though I think it's a bit short in it's present state for such an event.

Trent Dixon

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »
Trent

If you call 4 holes complete then no  :'(

Unfortunately funding was an issue and we're left with a bit of a schizo course at the moment. Some of the new work was good and on paper the redeign looks very good. Hopefully one day in my lifetime it will get finished....

The club has decided to host the NSW PGA championship this year. Hopefully the winds will get up and they will find it a challenge - though I think it's a bit short in it's present state for such an event.

Yes, it isn't really the economic climate to be outlaying money on anything but the essentials. It looks like we're emerging from it though so hopefully you'll see work recommencing soon. It's a shame the ball has done so much damage, the pros are really the ones that have gained the most advantage too. We can only hope the powers that be get their heads out of their rear ends and do something about it soon.

Matt Day

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
welcome from the sole West Australian  :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 12:28:55 AM »
Don't forget Adam Lowes is on here now, Matt. Not very often, mind, but on here nonetheless! And Josh Stevens is based in the UK at the moment, but is a Perth boy as well.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
Hi Trent

Your not the same young fella that I used to see tagging along with his old man at Wynnum a decade or so ago are you ?

If you need to chat about anything drop me a line at richard@rcgd.com.au

Cheers
Richard

Trent Dixon

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:16 AM »
I am that Trent Dixon Richard.

I was wondering the same about you when I saw your name on here a few times.

What are you up to at the moment?

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »
I am that Trent Dixon Richard.

I was wondering the same about you when I saw your name on here a few times.

What are you up to at the moment?
Well after a decade with Ross Watson I have recently taken the plunge and gone it alone.
A pretty ballsy move in the current economic climate and bugger all work happening.
Working here from Mudgeeraba on a few small projects, but finally picking up steam.

I'll drop you a PM and fill you in.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back