News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Re: BUDA 2010
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »
The suggestion that Silloth could somehow be incorporated in a Dornoch based BUDA suggests either that someone needs to buy a map or that they have acquired (or intend to acquire) a helicopter.

The suggestion was for a road trip to incorporate those on the way up, instead of part of BUDA itself. Not sure a road trip to Dornoch is my cup of tea from down south- especially in a Renault! I'd fly
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:38:02 AM by Jamie Barber »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
Flying into Inverness brings Nairn and Castle Stuart into play immediately, and then Dornoch is not far.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »
Collect the keys of your hire car at Inverness and you can be unpacking your clubs at Castle Stuart 5 minutes later ;D
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »
Collect the keys of your hire car at Inverness and you can be unpacking your clubs at Castle Stuart 5 minutes later ;D

So it's even closer than Nairn!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

So it's even closer than Nairn!

About 1.5 miles!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
The suggestion that Silloth could somehow be incorporated in a Dornoch based BUDA suggests either that someone needs to buy a map or that they have acquired (or intend to acquire) a helicopter.

The suggestion was for a road trip to incorporate those on the way up, instead of part of BUDA itself. Not sure a road trip to Dornoch is my cup of tea from down south- especially in a Renault! I'd fly
Indeed.  Some road trip, to include Silloth, Turnberry, Prestwick and some inland courses.  That's a lot of extra miles.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »
Just my two cents to speak up about an already in place outing...

I'm not sure how many KP'ers would be tempted to go otherwise, but the Kings Putter is in late May and would likely be a massive conflict with BUDA in the same month.  I realize its a different country and all but some who might attend both may otherwise only be able to attend 1 or the other.

There is also a Bandon Trip in this same time frame too which is likely going to bear some casulities on KP as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:35:46 AM by Kalen Braley »

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »

Road trips need not always move in a straight line between the departure point and the destination!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
Mark

I'll agree to disagree.  To me, and I think many others, where we go is far less important than who we go there with, as long as the venue is interesting and can foster camaraderie.

David

Point taken.

Kalen

There is not much overlap between KP and BUDA participants, but even if there were, the more competitions the merrier, IMHO.

Rich

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
Holding Buda earlier might also allow some GCA members a bit of extra time to save cash/brownie points from the beloved/annual leave from work to make the journey to the inaugural as yet unnamed Aussie GCA event...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Rich,

True the overlap is small, but in the end a May Buda would just be cannabalizing that much more.  I agree the more the merrier but  this applies best on an event attendance basis, not events competing with each other basis.  ;)

I've been holding an annual GCA.com Utah Open for 2 years now, but so far its only had an attendance of 1.   :'(  ;D

Gareth Williams

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:09 AM »
I don't suppose we have any Nairn or Castle Stuart members............ :(

Castle Stuart is pretty high on my list for 2010...would be good to get it ticked off so to speak.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
I'd be keen on a return to BUDA competition (with an appropriate handicap)  ;)  May/June works better for me.  I'm persuaded by the longer daylight hours then.  Any of the locations sound interesting, although West Sussex sounds slightly less so, being inland, and Machrihanish, because, as I recall, it's a long way to get there from anywhere that planes land.

Dornoch, as always sounds good.  I might even be persuaded to try Castle Stuart again, just to see if the course is really that good when not being blown away by the 40 mph gales.  Now, if there was a way to have all BUDA participants made honorary local residents for the duration of the visit to Castle Stuart, so much the better.

Mark, Scott,

I did the Silloth to Dornoch and back to Glasgow grand circle tour a few months ago and it is indeed a lot of miles (over 1,000), although certainly doable.   

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 11:57:46 AM »

Dornach, Castle Stuart and Narian.

Anthony

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
Mark

I'll agree to disagree.  To me, and I think many others, where we go is far less important than who we go there with, as long as the venue is interesting and can foster camaraderie.

Rich

Rich,

I'm not sure there's any disagreement on that point.  In fact I'd suggest that's another reason why the venue doesn't need to be a trophy course.  I'm sure you'd agree it wants to be an interesting course, though.  I also think BUDA is so well established that a club would have to be pretty dire for the BUDA camaraderie not to shine through, though this is an aspect in which Deal this year was particularly strong and a good reason to go somewhere where the GCA sponsor is well known and liked.  Now THAT might be a reason to head to prefer Dornoch or Pennard....

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

Anthony

Too much driving IMHO.  It's great to have courses for pre and post BUDA events but one of the strengths of BUDA has been having the two "event" courses close to each other, so that no-one has to worry about 90 minute drives the next morning.  Nairn and Castle Stuart would be ideal for pre/post events but Brora and Golspie are far more suitable "second venue" courses.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »

Anthony

Narian the one you get to through the wardbore? ;)

(forgive me Anthony)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »

Anthony

Narian the one you get to through the wardbore? ;)

(forgive me Anthony)

Beware the white wihc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
Mark (and David T)

Three of the reasons I like the Golspie idea:

1.  it is 10 miles closer to Dorncoh than Brora
2.  it is a new venue for even the most travelled BUDA participants, unlike Brora
3.  it is a very much underrated course, relative to Brora

Rich

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
Mark

Rich

Rich,

I'm not sure there's any disagreement on that point.  In fact I'd suggest that's another reason why the venue doesn't need to be a trophy course.  I'm sure you'd agree it wants to be an interesting course, though.  I also think BUDA is so well established that a club would have to be pretty dire for the BUDA camaraderie not to shine through, though this is an aspect in which Deal this year was particularly strong and a good reason to go somewhere where the GCA sponsor is well known and liked.  Now THAT might be a reason to head to prefer Dornoch or Pennard....

Mark

I think RDGC is strengthened by your criteria, provided it is modified to read "sponsor is well known or liked."

The biggest strike against RDGC stems from my personal sense of this board's growing dissoluteness.  (Thomas Gresham would find plenty to keep his thoughts occupied on here.)  I'm with Rich on choosing venues that don't appeal to the box-ticking mentality.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
I'll go wherever, but preference for next year would be the Netherlands in the fall.   Here's a good reason why.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31942.0/

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
Mark, please elaborate!  ..."my personal sense of this board's growing dissoluteness"

??? ;D

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »
Bill, my answer lies in the post.

John M -- Noordwijkse is enormously disappointing.  That said, the club is very inviting, the clubhouse wonderful, and the grown-ups beach alluring.

Kennemer lies in contrast, both for its courses and for the nature of the club.

Lastly, a BeNe Buda would suffer off-course.  For one thing, there's too much to do and none of that is centered around golf.

David_Tepper

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
Rich -

I would certainly not object in any way to some portion of the BUDA being held at Golspie. There is a good chance I will not be the only GCA-er who is a Golspie member by next May.

However, as a matter of fact, I do not think Brora is more than a 7-mile drive beyond Golspie. How about a morning round at one and an afternoon round at the other?

DT 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »
David,

I think two courses in one day sounds rather too hit and run for BUDA.  Half the fun is leisurely lunches and associated banter.

Mark

I'm confused.  I thought it was me who was being anti-box-ticking mentality?

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back