News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Special Par 5's Played in 2010 with GCA Brethren
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
GCAers-

Ballyneal - 2, 4, 8, 16 and 17* - one of the best courses possible for a GCA get away (and JK can suck an egg on this one).

Lost Dunes - 4 - great match play hole, especially in alternate shot with Steve Salmen.  And it doesn't hurt when you played the course the day before with the architect.

Dunes Club - 8 - played it with Rob Bice, a great hole to play twice in the same 18 hole round, you learn a lot after one go at it.

Kingsley - 1, 7, 15* and 17 - thanks to Brad and Andrew for getting me up there this year, and for the crew on each trip for making those rounds a blast every time.

Common Ground - 3 - really enjoyed my round with Patrick Kiser out there, great to see a course for the first time and have some one equally interested in the experience with you.

Shepherd's Crook - 14 - a beast, my best round of the year was on this course with David Egan.

Skokie - 3 and 11 - two of my favorite holes in Chicago.

South Bend CC - 18 - Brian Joines home course, with a finisher that reminds me of some of the classics, especially the severe tilt to the green.

Blackstone - 4 and 18 - a great end to a 36 hole day with Andrew Lewis, we played 18 twice, because we could.

Highlands of Elgin - 6 - a great course for this year's GCA outing, 6 reminded me of some of the great holes in the dunes of Ireland.

Non-GCAers -

Wild Horse - 3, 6, 14 and 17 - love the course, love these holes, could play there every day and never get bored.

Butler - 7 - beautiful hole and a strong test of skill.

Blackstone - 14 - I lipped out an eagle just before my playing partner drained a 20 footer for his.  Great risk reward hole, especially when your squad's total is 7.

Talking Stick North - 2 - love the hard boundary on the left protecting the ideal line to the green.

Old Mac - 6, 15 and 17 - tons of fun to play, tons of fun to see the course for the first time.

Pac Dunes - all of them, obviously.

Bandon Trails - 3, 9 and 16 - love the variety of the holes and their settings.

Chambers Bay - 18 - a great finish to a fun round, maybe not the best 5 par out there, but it capped off a fun day.

Wine Valley - 9 - great driving hole with a green that presents problems from every angle.

Hawktree - a great collection of Engh 5 pars, enjoyed each of them, especially the 5th, where the hole continually narrows on your uphill approach to the green.

Erin Hills - 7 - a very nice addition to the original course (although I do miss the Dell hole).  

Warren Course - 5 and 10 - the 5's are probably the weakest set on this course, but these two are always fun, especially 5 with the collection bunker in the front of the green.

Wolf Run - 17 - the claustrophobia of the 3 or 4 prior holes is gone, but it still seems tough to put a good swing on the ball on this one.  A strong test on a tough course.

Greywalls - 1 and 18 - great bookends on an amazing course.

Lawsonia - 13 - my favorite on this course.

Mystic Hills - 16 - underrated defined (the hole and the course).

Angels Crossing - 4 and 13 - fun golf and a great crew of locals that have a treat of a course to play.

Cog Hill - 11 - my favorite par 5 pre- and post- renovation.

Thunderhawk - 18 - another strong finisher which calls for a judgment on every shot.

Bayside - 15 - elevation and angles

Tullymore - 12 and 18 - two fun holes.

Vista Verde - 6 - subtle, but a challenging green to hold.

Harbor Shores - 9 and 10 - I like par 5's that sweep to right (9) and the green on 10 is something to behold.

*Technically not par 5's, but definitely 4 and 1/2's

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:26:16 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tony Weiler

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
Sven, you have to get out more! 

With GCA'ers:

Sand Hills #1 (as good as it gets for me)
Ballyneal #s 4, 8, and 16.  Simply could not pick one.

Without GCA'ers:

Wild Horse #17 (I think because I holed out for Eagle, and really liked the course)

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
With GCA Brethren- 18 at Yale and 6 at Atlantic City Country Club.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
With GCA Brethren- 18 at Yale and 6 at Atlantic City Country Club.

Oh, nice call Tim!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Scott Szabo

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
My only rounds this year with GCA brethren were at Ballyneal over the summer at the Yucca.  Our host's up and down from the bowl to the right of number 8 green with the famous middle-right pin was nothing short of spectacular.  Followed closely by Oby's play from a pace or two short of the bunker fronting the green at #16.  Rather than trying some sort of flop shot over the bunker to the pin, which was cut quite close that day, he took out a putter and played it to the left of the green and used the slope to bring it back onto the putting surface.  Would have never thought of that play in a million years, but it sure was fun to watch.   
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
4 at Chicago Golf
1 at Kingsley
15 at Lost Dunes
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
Here is a shot of Kevin Lynch in Ballyhack #2's front bunker, executing exquisite sand-escape technique:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1529937329408

(for some reason, this link isn't working...if you have FB, like BuffaloGolfer and you'll find the video there.)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:50:01 AM by Ronald Tricks O'Hooligan Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Here is a shot of Kevin Lynch in Ballyhack #2's front bunker, executing exquisite sand-escape technique:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1529937329408

(for some reason, this link isn't working...if you have FB, like BuffaloGolfer and you'll find the video there.)

Exquisite Technique?  I think there's a phrase involving blind squirrels and nuts that may be more accurate.  If Johnny Miller didn't like Craig Parry's swing, I'd hate for him to see that.

(I forgot how deep that sucker was).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back