News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re: Midwest Mashie - Another Attempt
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Stonelick is good idea. Not a course many outside of Cincinnati would play otherwise. It's quirky because the owner built it. It does have some long green to tee walks but I have walked it. Plus the only real day of having to drive to play golf once you are in Cincinnati would be going to NCR.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
I am amazed at all this (I can only spose ultra modern) clap trap about Ohio, Michigan etc not being the midwest.  I don't know what country you lot were brought up in, but these states have long been considered the midwest.  You boys out in the mountain states are part of the west along with the pacific (coast) states.  There are geographic, demographic and historic reasons for the FOUR US regions.  Here endeth the lesson.

Ciao 

Sean,

Once again, its all just for fun...

... but anyone who would consider Ohio the "Mid-West" when its state border on the east is a mere 300 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and 2200 miles away from the Pacific Ocean is nothing short of geographically challenged.  So folks can call it whatever they want...but at best Ohio is in the "Mid-East"  ;D

As for official gov't labels, they mean little and often get it wrong.  I mean c'mon we're talking about a gov't that said it was OK for women and minorities to be prohibited from voting and having basic equal rights for most of its existance!!   ;)

John Pflum

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 10:51:35 AM »
Stonelick is good idea. Not a course many outside of Cincinnati would play otherwise. It's quirky because the owner built it. It does have some long green to tee walks but I have walked it. Plus the only real day of having to drive to play golf once you are in Cincinnati would be going to NCR.

I like Stonelick a lot.  Yes -- it's quirky but not necessarily in a bad way IMO.  Probably the most controversial "feature" is that tree on the second hole.  Yes (again) -- some of those green to tee walks are brutal but that piece of land is definitely not walker friendly in any case.
--
jvdp

jonathan_becker

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
Kalen,

As a resident of Ohio, I understand what you're saying.  I lived in Chicago for a few years and one of my roommates was from Kansas.  Upon meeting his father for the first time, the first thing he says to me is "Ohio?  You're from Ohio?  How do even call that the mid-west?!"  I started laughing and agreed.

I look at it this way.  It's not the mid-west and it's not the east.  It's just Ohio! :) :D  That's it, just Ohio.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
Kalen,

As a resident of Ohio, I understand what you're saying.  I lived in Chicago for a few years and one of my roommates was from Kansas.  Upon meeting his father for the first time, the first thing he says to me is "Ohio?  You're from Ohio?  How do even call that the mid-west?!"  I started laughing and agreed.

I look at it this way.  It's not the mid-west and it's not the east.  It's just Ohio! :) :D  That's it, just Ohio.  

Jonathon,

Thats a good way of saying it.  ;D

Funny thing is I don't know how anyone could consider anything east of the mississippi as "Mid-West".  So Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan are all just as silly to me to have that designation.  Go figure....

Sean_A

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »
Kalen,

Jonathon,

Funny thing is I don't know how anyone could consider anything east of the mississippi as "Mid-West".  So Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan are all just as silly to me to have that designation.  Go figure....

I can understand not liking the term associated with the states in question, but that is the way it is - everybody knows what is meant, culturally, geographically, demographically and lingusitically by the term because its been widely used for a very long time.  You are focusing oin the geographic aspect too much.  If you start making up all sorts of crazy shit nobody will know what you are on about.  Midwest is meant as a broad category of states just like west, south and northeast - which have been used for a very long time.  Other terms like Great Lakes, Great Plains, Pacific coast, mid Atlantic etc are more narrow in their geographic focus and other meanings and are generally used in very different ways. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
Kalen,

As a resident of Ohio, I understand what you're saying.  I lived in Chicago for a few years and one of my roommates was from Kansas.  Upon meeting his father for the first time, the first thing he says to me is "Ohio?  You're from Ohio?  How do even call that the mid-west?!"  I started laughing and agreed.

I look at it this way.  It's not the mid-west and it's not the east.  It's just Ohio! :) :D  That's it, just Ohio. 

Jonathon,

I can see Prop 13 caused you to have a culturally and historically deprived up bringing. Best move back to the city by the bay which would appear to be a reference you can understand.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »
Sean,

When someone says "Mid-West"...goegraphy is the only thing that comes to mind as it should because it is indeed a name that deontes a geographic location.  Now if someone adds The Cubs, great pizza, and crooked politics, then maybe some of those other things may come to mind for places in that so-called region!!   ;D

However I don't wish to side-track this thread any further..,

... so I will leave the following for you to consider/ponder.  And that only leaves one question for Garland...which Monkey are you?? :)

5 Monkeys

There was an interesting experiment that started with five monkeys in a cage. A banana hung inside the cage with a set of steps placed underneath it. After a while, a monkey went to the steps and started to climb towards the banana, but when he touched the steps, he set off a spray that soaked all the other monkeys with cold water. Another monkey tried to reach the banana with the same result. It didn't take long for the monkeys to learn that attempting to reach the banana was a bad idea!!

The next stage of the experiment was to remove the spray from the cage and to replace one of the monkeys with a new one. Of course, the new monkey saw the banana and went over to climb the steps. To his horror, the other monkeys attacked him. After another attempt, he learnt that if he touched the steps, he would be assaulted.

Next, another of the original five was replaced with a new monkey. The newcomer went to the steps and was attacked and the previous newcomer joined in the attack with enthusiasm!

Then, a third monkey was replaced with a new one and then a fourth. Every time a newcomer approached the steps, he was attacked. Most of the monkeys beating him had no idea why they were not allowed to climb the steps or why they were joining in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing the fifth monkey, none of the monkeys had ever been sprayed with water and no monkey ever approached the steps. Why? Because as far as they knew it was the way it had always been done around here...

And that is why the Mid-East is still called the Mid-West!     ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:22:29 PM by Kalen Braley »

Steve Kline

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »

And that is why the Mid-West is still called the Mid-West!     ;D

So you admit Ohio is in the Midwest?  ;)

Tom Yost

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
It might be interesting to note that Cincinnati has the nickname "Queen City of the West."    Yes, WEST.  Believe it or not, Ohio was at one time, the wild western frontier.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
It might be interesting to note that Cincinnati has the nickname "Queen City of the West."    Yes, WEST.  Believe it or not, Ohio was at one time, the wild western frontier.   

Agreed Tom,

And the key part to that statment is "at one time"!!   ;D

"At one time" the American Contintent was thought to be India, so we may as well keep calling it that right?

And

"At one time" we only had 13 colonies, so we may as well keep calling them colonies right?

And

"At one time" alot of the West was apart of Mexico, so I guess we shouldn't call its the US either... we should just continue to call it Mexico right?  Yes I know...please spare me the jokes on this one...   ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:48:52 PM by Kalen Braley »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »
"All Hail to Mi-chi-gan; the heroes of the WEST!!"
 :D

Stonelick Hills is a fun course. I love #2, with that tree. When the course 1st opened it was very small, and we immeadiately speculated on it's effect changing as it grows. The hole also has a sunken green. If the tree is partially blocking your line, you might hit a low runner. And it still can be played around either side. In fact, unless you are practically against it, it will not much block your shot, though you may have to shape it if you can. Leave the tree alone, you snivvelling band of dendrophobes! :D

Welcome to Cincinnati.

Doug

PS: I may be partial to Stonelick because I have holed out for eagle each of the last two times I played there, once on #7, then on the island par-5 #9. *mosh*
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »
I played Heatherwoode 2 weeks ago after not having played there since 1997. It seems a bunch of houses have sprouted up EVERYWHERE. They no longer hold any event there, they did when it was the Nike Tour. In fact Doug Dunakey 3 putted the 18th hole to shoot a 59 there.

The course plays long and wet.

Stonelick is OK, different and quirky, I agree. It is walkable, but there are a few long jaunts between a few holes.....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
Sean,

When someone says "Mid-West"...goegraphy is the only thing that comes to mind

Kalen

If you believe that, you have a lot to learn. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
Sean,

When someone says "Mid-West"...goegraphy is the only thing that comes to mind

Kalen

If you believe that, you have a lot to learn. 

Ciao

Notice also that Kalen has been taking spelling lessons from Anthony.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian Laurent

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
seems like we have enough Ohio guys that we could have team Ohio vs everyone else.  To put the midwest talk to rest, we could just call it the Buckeye Cup, Buckeye Challenge...

If looking for another public, I played Windy Knoll last weekend and really enjoyed it.  Might not be a bad option.

There was some Scarlet talk earlier...it may be do-able if we wanted a day in Columbus. 
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Steve Lang

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »
 8) Steve

Go with first intuition on date in may being best.. you can't please everyone.. just pick two venue days, let others free form front end or back end play.

p.s. I seem to detect more interest in "scoring" than gca here... 

p.s.s.  Enigma Ohio Challenge
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matt Harrison

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
So good to hear the Michigan fight song quoted in this debate on who really lives in the Midwest!

I am interested in this event, would love to play with some GCA folks.  Short trip from Lexington, KY.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »
I was always amused by the fact that the "Western Open" was played in Chicago!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2009, 02:52:09 AM »
Lord Mc - wouldn't the North Mid-East by the Lake Open put people off!!
Cave Nil Vino

PThomas

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
Count me in!  We could also think of doing a day in Columbus?  It's only an hour or so from Dayton/Cincy and is home to several fine golf courses.  I could check with a few friends who are members at Brookside (Columbus) to see if they would host us for a day. 

What about the Scarlett course?  Isn't that a Dr Mac?
if the Scarlet is the one Nicklaus redid, i dont think its worth a special trip
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
Another point about the Scarlet is that it gets so much play that they are very restrictive on the amount of guests you can bring.  Each member can only bring 3 guests per day tops.  I know a member, but we would need a lot more to make it work!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
Another Cleveland-er here!

Depending on the timing, I'm definitely interested in this get-together.  Keep us posted, Steve...and thanks for organizing!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back