News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Plantings/vegetation in bunkers, has that fad
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »
run its course ?

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, did many architects and/or courses began introducing plantings/vegetation into the body of their bunkers over the last 20 or so years to replicate the feel of Pine Valley, Merion and other courses with this feature ?

Has that trend come to an end ?

Do plantings/vegetation have any place within the interior of a bunker ?

Do they create maintainance difficulties ?

Problems with rulings ?

Can a case be made to retain them ?

Can a case be made to get rid of them ?

Bradley Anderson

Re: Plantings/vegetation in bunkers, has that fad
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
Patrick,

The original man made bunkers were sometimes grassed vegatatively, with grass plugs, spaced a foot or so apart, and seed scattered in between the plugs. This method was used in areas where we might use sod today. I think it was developed first in the heathlands, and then brought here. Some of these people placed plugs inside of a bunker and it grew. And then they decided that they liked the effect of that. Maybe they thought that it made the hazard more intimidating? Maybe they thought that it made the hazard look more natural?

So I don't think you will ever see the end of it like you do with fads. I think just as then, you will see people making the same experiments. So it will reappear somewhere else until someone decides they don't like it and it's removed. And then 100 years later it will make another appearance, who knows, in the same bunker.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »
Pat,

I hope so. They aren't as offensive in 'waste areas' but they really don't belong in a bunker.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »
I kind of like them if they are maintained to so that lies are manageable and reasonable shots can be made.

I remember my 1st encounter with Iceplant and how I fluffed the shot. I practiced off that stuff and enjoyed hitting off it the next time I encountered it.

Did with 1/2 grass and 1/2 sand lies, once you know how they play and the technique needed, it become another challenge.

What I hate are lost balls in sand traps. Once I hit the side of a green, one big bounce to the right into this 4 foot high stuff, never found the ball, had to go back to the tee, tied up the entire golf course, got a 2 shot penalty and I didn't hit a bad shot.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
The Yucca plants at Prairie Dunes look cool and play shitty...

C. Squier

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »
The Yucca plants at Prairie Dunes look cool and play shitty...

They do have the tendency to attract golf balls.  A player only tries to play out of them once....they aren't particularly forgiving plants.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
There are plantings in the right greenside bunker of the short hole at Old MacDonald. Tom seemed to have no intention of changing it either when I asked.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
How many bunkers at Merion have some sort of vegetation in them? Does it make any difference as the whether it is a good thing or not based on how many years said vegetation has been in place?

I agree that in some cases, internal bunker vegetation can look terrific, but often plays tacky.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back