News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trent Dixon

Re: GCA EVENT DOWN UNDER - EARLY 2011
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 06:03:30 AM »
Just a thought, but the Australian Tennis Open is also on in Melbourne late January, early February, it's a fantastic event, and would provide another attraction, not only for the men but also any wives that make the journey. Oh and there's also the shopping and cafe's that Melbourne is famous for.
and temperatures in the 40s
haha, that's at 1p.m, then at 1:10p.m it will be 15deg. Gotta love Melbourne!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
Gents,

Discussions are underway with several prospective venues in Australia, with news hopefully to come quite soon on a date and venue.

Owing to the extreme heat in Australia in January and February, this is likely to be held in March '11 or December '10.

The very good news is that a lot of hands have been put up re: hosting extra days, and once we have a date for the Main Event I would expect we might begin to get an idea of what extra-curricular options are available.

I'm offline for the next 10 days or so, but will hopefully have some more news when I return.

Apologies to those whose PMs I've not yet had a chance to reply to.

cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:20:16 PM by Scott Warren »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »
I would vote for March since it is tough to take several weeks in early December and a couple more around Christmas and New Years (and by March I will do anything to escape winter in Oregon).

This sounds awesome.

Mark_F

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:17 AM »
...and by March I will do anything to escape winter in Oregon

Not too hasty there, Rob.  It is entirely possible it could be Winter in March in Melbourne. 

It is Spring here now, but rather more like Winter.  Perth might be the best bet weather wise...

Scott Warren

Re: AUSSIE GCA EVENT - MARCH 2011 - BARNBOUGLE DUNES AND THE LOST FARM
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »
OP updated as below:

I have been in touch with a few different people and this has emerged as our best bet:

Barnbougle Dunes and The Lost Farm - March 2011
Long weekend event played Saturday to Monday, one of the first two weekends in March (5-7 or 12-14).
Accommodation on-site at Barnbougle Dunes in twin-share (AU$80pp) or quad share (AU$50pp) rooms.
36 holes the first two days, with 18 the final morning, allowing for an evening flight out of Launceston (so 90 holes in total) to Melbourne and its Sandbelt or beyond...

The ballpark price (I am working on something concrete) for three nights accommodation and five rounds of golf is:

Twin-share: AU$550
Quad-share: AU$460

A weekend main event allows for mid-week extra days at the other clubs people wish to see, which are mainly private and harder to access at weekends, when they run members' comps.

Aussie GCA members have already registered interest in hosting extra days at clubs on the Sandbelt, Mornington Peninsula and at two of the best courses in NSW. Other courses could be accessed through an enquiry with the club. Australian clubs are similar to their British counterparts re: access.

All that being so, who is keen? Please indicate below so I can get some sort of field size to use as a guide for booking.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:57:02 AM by Scott Warren »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
Scott:

Good luck with this.  Assuming that most people stop off in Melbourne for a few days on the way down or back, I think for most it could be the best golf trip you'll ever make.

While I am also one of the biggest proponents of the joys of New Zealand, I will humbly suggest that participants only stop over in New Zealand if they have at least three weeks to devote to the entire trip.  Spending three days in New Zealand en route to Australia is just not enough and you will hate yourself for leaving it at that.  Of course, it will make you vow to return ... but if you will just promise yourself to do that up front, then you can skip N.Z. this time, enjoy three more days in Sydney or Melbourne, and save N.Z. for later.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Scott,

Great work.  I'm in.  Looking forward to see a few of the Americans I haven't had a chance to meet.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »
Scott,
It is possible for me. My extension would be to NZ for golf (North Isl) and sightseeing (South Isl) as I have been to Victoria and NSW a couple of times. Paul Daley may be an asset in arranging all sorts of stuff.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
Keen, In, etc.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »
Aussie GCA members have already registered interest in hosting extra days at clubs on the Sandbelt, Mornington Peninsula and at two of the best courses in NSW. Other courses could be accessed through an enquiry with the club. Australian clubs are similar to their British counterparts re: access.

Scott

Is one of those courses Wollongong GC ?  ;D

Seriously - am happy to be a part of this and trying to help anyone who swings via Sydney

Rob Rigg

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »
Scott,

Please put me on the list - jedi mind tricks have worked on the "boss" provided she gets some time in Sydney and points north.

Good man for taking the lead on this - it will be amazing.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
Scott,

I'm keen. My only issue will be that I'm going to Scotland a few months later.

More than happy to help any guys stopping over in Sydney.

Dustin Knight

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »
Definately wish to attend!

Andrew,
Ditto should any help be required in Sydney or in the Newcastle/Hunter area.

I will be playing RM, Metro, National old, Victoria and Commonwealth in the coming weeks while attending "tiger mania". will post a few reports to get the juices flowing for those on all sides of the pond.
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Scott Warren

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:33 AM »
I have just received concrete pricing for the present day from BD. The OP has been updated to reflect that exact cost, plus a contingency of 10% to allow for price rises, given this event is still 16 months away.

I have also added names of those who have indicated they are keen, either in posts or PMs. If you are on that list and shouldn't be, say so. If you are not on the list in the OP and are keen, say so.

David_Elvins

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 08:00:18 AM »
Good work Scott, I am keen.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »

I'm keen. My only issue will be that I'm going to Scotland a few months later.

Hey, me too. And the first date is the day after my 50th birthday!! Not a problem, rather an opportunity

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Scott,

I am a likely if the first weekend in March.  Unlikely if the second weekend.

Andy Gray

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »
Looks like a good number of people so far!

I am also happy to help or host anyone coming through Sydney (whether golf related or not).

Scott Warren

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:54 AM »
The field has hit 25 with John Mayhugh and the Fairey boys joining the fray. Great to see.

14 Aussies
10 Americans, and
1 Brit so far.

If the UK guys are worried about getting too much of a culture shock, I can arrange some flat, warm beer to sweeten the deal?!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
If the UK guys are worried about getting too much of a culture shock, I can arrange some flat, warm beer to sweeten the deal?!

Better luck with arranging a heat wave that tops out at 18 degrees.

James Boon

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
Well if that the sort of hospitality us Brits would get, sod you!  ;D

Honestly though, would love to come Scott, buts its not something I can commit to at the moment thanks to finances etc. But I will make the trip one day, and if I could combine it with another Aussie GCA event (I'm sure this one will inspire more) as well as an Ashes Tour then al the better.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
No worries, James. I'm having enough trouble getting you down to Deal! LOL. I am sure this will breed other events, any event will be better for having you in the field!

Chris Flamion

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 12:39:48 PM »
So sorry to have to say this, but March is the month that I will be unable to attend.  I wish everyone the best of luck with this and I will keep my ears open for any future outings to the land of OZ.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
I have been in touch with a few different people and this has emerged as our best bet:

Barnbougle Dunes and The Lost Farm - March 2011
Long weekend event played Saturday to Monday, one of the first two weekends in March (5-7 or 12-14).
Accommodation on-site at Barnbougle Dunes in twin-share (AU$80pp) or quad share (AU$50pp) rooms.
36 holes the first two days, with 18 the final morning (so 90 holes in total), allowing for an evening flight out of Launceston to Melbourne and its Sandbelt or beyond...

Current prices plus 10% (to allow for any price increase) for three nights accommodation and five rounds of golf is:
Twin-share: AU$550

Question, my wife is an avid golfer, would you guys care if she joined?  Are most of you bringing your spouses?

Loooks like a great time, will definately consider!

Eric Strulowitz

Anthony Gray

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »

This would be a dream for me. How many hours in a plane fron Atlanta? Where do you fly into? How far from the airport are the courses? Are the courses together? Is Bill McBride signed up?

Thanks,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back