News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: GCA EVENT DOWN UNDER - EARLY 2011
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 05:21:50 AM »
Respectfully even with your organising powers you aren't going to get people to schedule it in and commit with 3 months notice over Christmas.  Dates and costs will need to be fixed 9 months in advance for people to commit.

Perhaps I worded the OP a touch poorly in that regard (the editor needs and editor!). By all means I intend to have pricing and details available very soon. I wasn’t intending to leave it hanging until I got home, I just thought the last-minute stuff could do with me actually being in the country, but with the amount of support I have had from GCAers offering to help out, that may not be the case.

One final word.  To all those saying "I'm only coming if it includes X, Y or Z":  here's an offer from someone to organise a great event.  Of course you want to play some other great courses.  It's bloody cheeky to expect Scott (or any other Aussie contributor) to sort that out for you.  Just as we do with pre/post BUDA golf, commit to the event and sort out the add-ons yourself.  I'm sure there'll be some help available.

Indeed, though I can see that those people are probably just being honest that if they fly that far they will want to play RM, Kingston Heath etc. The good news, as Philip pointed out, is that Aussie clubs are much like their UK brethren in that access can generally be arranged, albeit sometimes at a sizeable price.

Many GCAers have already made contact to say they would be happy to try to arrange some access to their clubs and while I won’t name the individuals or clubs (it is up to them if they wish to do so publicly), there are some fantastic “Bucket List” venues among them.

I am quite sure anyone who makes the effort to get to this event will be satisfied with the courses they are given the opportunity to see within the Main Event itself, through extra days organsed by GCAers and also through their own initiative making calls and sending emails to clubs.

As it is, many of the Aussies familiar with both the Sandbelt and Barnbougle have strongly supported Barnbougle as being preferable for an event such as this. I’ll keep taking advice on board in that regard.

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 05:26:21 AM »
Scott,
   Good for you for getting the ball rolling. That is often the biggest step, just getting past the inertia of not doing anything. I  wish I could make the trip, but with my wife in graduate school at that time it just isn't in the cards. :'(

For those who need carrots you can make arrangements to play at most any course your heart desires down in Australia, with the exception of weekend golf. My best golf trip ever was down to New Zealand and Australia. The GCA'ers down there were such great company and the courses made the travel effort worth it. Save yourself a few hours of flying and start your golf in New Zealand. I recommend Paraparaumu, Cape Kidnappers, and Titirangi. Then on to Australia and because of the time changes you don't lose a day.

Barnbougle, RM, Kingston Heath, and New South Wales alone are worth making the trip from wherever in the universe you live.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
Scott
You have certainly caught the spirit of Buda!  All the very best to you - I'm sure it will be a great success.

For me I'm afraid it will be a case of so near but oh so far.  As you know I am scheduled to visit Australia in December 2010.  Unfortunately neither finances nor work commitments will permit to remain there until February/March 2011 ;)

Having said that I'd love to meet up with as many GCAers as possible when I'm in Perth (and probably Melbourne) next year. 
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »
Andrew,

Many of the Aussie guys have correctly reminded me most of Australia is just a touch warm in February (how quickly I forget how hot it can get!), and have suggested December 2010 might be better, with a few offering to help me organise if that will make December work.

It was also pointed out that February means club champs at most sandbelt clubs.

You may not be out of the running just yet...

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
With all the prestigious courses invloved..by all means very interested.
As a Mackenziephile....the sandbelt is top of my list

Rich Goodale

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Excellent idea, Scott, even though I might not be ale to make it due to already using up my lifetime "trip to Oz to play golf" brownie points this April..... :'(

Some further comments:

1.  I would agree with Andrew that tying to event somehow into the 2010-2011 ashes tour would be ideal.  Maybe we could have an OZ v. ROW game of cricket so all of us can get a chance to see Mark "Hands of Stone" Pearce field in the slips.

2.  I would also vote strongly for Barnbougle for the official event, with sandbelt (and other) tours done informally before and after.  Based on my experience, the closer you keep people together (idealy with a base camp hotel) the better the camaraderie and the competition.

3.  In terms of organisation, you have done the hard part, i.e. the thinking.  Now relax and get somebody else to step up to the plate and do all the organising.  You'll thank me for this advice later.

Slainte

Rich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
It sounds fantastic.  Like Tony, however, I have reservations about whether you're allowing yourself enough time back in Aus to organise.  Also like Tony, I'm never going to get away with travelling to the Antipodes without my wife and family and making it a three week trip.  That's a big cost and, unless things pick up dramatically economically, not one I'm going to be able to commit to.

One final word.  To all those saying "I'm only coming if it includes X, Y or Z":  here's an offer from someone to organise a great event.  Of course you want to play some other great courses.  It's bloody cheeky to expect Scott (or any other Aussie contributor) to sort that out for you.  Just as we do with pre/post BUDA golf, commit to the event and sort out the add-ons yourself.  I'm sure there'll be some help available.

Mark, if I can make it down I will be delighted with a Buda-style event at Barnbougle.  Rich makes an excellent point in the last post on the thread today about a close venue.  All I was saying was that I will not be traveling all the way to Oz without a game at RM and KH while there.  Sorry to have left off the  ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
Perhaps the folks who are bringing wives should pull their heads together to figure out what our wives can do during golfing. My chances of joining this party would be infinitely higher if I can convince my wife that this would be a great trip for her as well.

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
I might actually sell one of my kidneys to make this one...Barnbougle and Lost Ranch (Farm?) are the biggest priorities for me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:33:40 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Lowes

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »
Scott, great idea. Will be happy to help you in any way possible from back here in Oz if necessary.

Robin Doodson

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
Perhaps the folks who are bringing wives should pull their heads together to figure out what our wives can do during golfing. My chances of joining this party would be infinitely higher if I can convince my wife that this would be a great trip for her as well.
Tragically Richard the only thing to do at Barnbougle is play golf. It is more than remote. On the up side the rest of Tasmania is absolutely spectacular and well worth a look. We australian supers had our conference in tassie this year and a number of guys took their wives and spent a few extra days to tour around the island. it is a truly inspirational and i bet you stumble across at least a dozen sites where you think to yourself "Gee, a golf course would fit in just nicely here"
Barnbougle is worth getting into trouble from the wife from as well. you can always make it up to her later.

robin

John Mayhugh

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
How crazy would it be to do only a single week trip?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
John

It's a long way to come for just one week as normally I'd suggest at least two - but one week is better than not at all  ;)

I wouldn't recommend you go anywhere other than Tas and The Sandbelt - where a couple of games would suffice in such an instance.

Ash Towe

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Scott,
I am interested but the school holidays would suit me best.  If it was in February/March and the event was played over a weekend I might be able to get over from NZ.  Barnbougle would appear to be a good choice with the 2 courses in operation.  The Mornington Peninsula is also a thought, St Andrews Beach is open to the publis now and could The National be pesuaded to come to the party?

Best of luck with this project.  I hope it takes off.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
Would be great to be back for it.

Even if that's not possible, I can probably get Dave Burton (GM at NSWGC) to arrange some mid-week golf for those who are going through Sydney... although he speaks so fondly of Ran he probably has the same influence as I do.

arb:
Next!

Andy Gray

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »
This is shaping up to be a great event.

Scott, just let me know if you need help with some organising. December will probably be the best time, just before the school holidays (which start around the 20th).

Cheers,

Andy

Brett Morris

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
Scott, let me know how I can help from this end.  Would be great to see a few down here for a visit.

Brett.

Scott Warren

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
I'm stoked to see so much enthusiasm for this, the ball is rolling!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »
I'm stoked to see so much enthusiasm for this, the ball is rolling!

Now the trick is to leave the organisation to all of us & waltz back into the country in a years time & take all the credit.

Scott Warren

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 06:47:04 AM »
;D Sounds like a plan!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
In...   ;)

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tim Leahy

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
In...   ;)

Good news, Patrick, another NoCaler!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
Weatherwise, I would say that if playing Barnbougle/Lost Farm the event should be in February.  If playing the Sandbelt, March is the optimal time.

I think Barnbougle would work well from a golfing point of view, but there are more dining / social / accommodation options in Melbourne which is what you might need for a big event.

For those who haven't been, golf is the only thing at Barnbougle.  There's the clubhouse for dining or the big step down to the local pub in Bridport. There are, however, some nice wineries within a 15 minute drive, and some spectacular coastline anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours away.

Perhaps an option would be some leadup events on the Sandbelt and the main event Thurs-Sunday down in Tassie.

The Sandbelt is a problem if weekend play is required.

Trent Dixon

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »
Just a thought, but the Australian Tennis Open is also on in Melbourne late January, early February, it's a fantastic event, and would provide another attraction, not only for the men but also any wives that make the journey. Oh and there's also the shopping and cafe's that Melbourne is famous for.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »
Just a thought, but the Australian Tennis Open is also on in Melbourne late January, early February, it's a fantastic event, and would provide another attraction, not only for the men but also any wives that make the journey. Oh and there's also the shopping and cafe's that Melbourne is famous for.
and temperatures in the 40s

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back