News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - How to create the teams?
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
Played with Kyle yesterday at peninsula, today I believe he jumped a ship and left the country in search of better photographic light, or perhaps less mosquitos.

Geez, Kyle's been in the country five minutes and he's already left Melbourne? 

I hope they stop him at the border on his way back in.  Only believers are allowed in Victoria.

Scott Warren

« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
I kicked off the trip with a visit to Mark and Peninsula North today.

Loved every minute of it, a fantastic course with plenty of fun shots, and the company was exemplary.

Just collected Mayhugh and David Kelly from the airport and we're all keyed up for RM tomorrow.

Mark_F

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »

Loved every minute of it, a fantastic course with plenty of fun shots, and the company was exemplary.

Just collected Mayhugh and David Kelly from the airport and we're all keyed up for RM tomorrow.

Cheers, Scott. 

It was good to finally meet you at last.  I enjoyed the round immemsely.

It's always nice to see a Yankee down here sampling our tacos, and it's even better when the mosquito's and rain stay away, too.

Hopefully the weather behaves itself today.

Jason Topp

« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
Anyone driving Mayhugh around should be prepared for sudden stops to allow him to take pictures of Tasmanian Devils, Wallabies or random signs. 

Have a terrific event! 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »

Cheers, Scott. 

It was good to finally meet you at last.  I enjoyed the round immemsely.

It's always nice to see a Yankee down here sampling our tacos, and it's even better when the mosquito's and rain stay away, too.

Hopefully the weather behaves itself today.

Australia has tacos?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »
Brian - I've five days at RM in a couple of weeks time and if I can work out how to post pictures I will put some on the DG. Throw in NSW, Kingston Heath, Royal Wellington, Kinloch, Wairakei and "The Spiritual Home of New Zealand Golf" and there is an awesome trip in store.
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
Mark

I played RMW on Monday and am glad to say that it played like the RM of old.

The new legend couch was superb and the greens were hard and fast. It's great to finally see the grand old lady back to it's best !!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:08 AM »
Kevin - that is good news I've been unlucky at RM in the past, we are also playing the Presidents Cup composite course so that is extra special.
Cave Nil Vino

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2011, 07:13:49 PM »
Have fun guys, sorry I couldn't make it.

Weather forecast http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/weather/?forecast=bridport-7262&#weather_7day_forecast

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
Brian

A great day out yesterday at Barnbougle Dunes and an even better one today at Lost Farm

Scores were tied up at 13.5 each overnight.

Richard Sattler and his course super - Phil gave us all an interesting chat behind the scenes as dinner as well.

ed_getka

« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
Looking forward to hearing the full report of the goings on down there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark_F

« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »

Sorry, Ed, what goes on at the Boomerang stays at the boomerang.

Just in order to protect the identities of those concerned, you understand.

ed_getka

« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »
Mark,
    You can try to keep the lid on, but I have my ways of finding out what sort of debauchery you gents are up to. What are your impressions of Lost Farm?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »

Sorry, Ed, what goes on at the Boomerang stays at the boomerang.

Just in order to protect the identities of those concerned, you understand.

Identities or reputations?

Good luck with that!

Mark_F

« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Ed,

I am sure you will have all the depraved details in no time, just as long as it didn't come from me.

It was nice to see David Kelly again, and good to meet the other traveling US GCA'ers, who were all excellent blokes.  It was good fun.

I am not that big on Lost Farm.  It's a nine hole course for mine.  It has a a lot of width, and is an easier walk than the Dunes course, but I find it interesting that the difficult holes there are the longer ones like 5 and 8, whereas at Dunes, 7 and 12 are very difficult, 7 especially so downwind - a Doak trait?.  The green contours seem more random, and perhaps not as usable as those across the cut.

It will be interesting to get the varying opinions.

Identities or reputations?

Good luck with that!

I can but try, Bill. 

And yes, we have tacos here.  According to Tyler Ince, he had a pretty good fish one in Melbourne one night.

ed_getka

« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »
Mark,
   Thanks for the thoughts. I look forward to hearing some of the other opinions. When you say 9 hole course, are you talking there are two distinct 9's, only one of which you like? Or are there only 9 good holes total? If it is the first instance what is lacking in the 9 you don't care for?

Mark_F

« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
When you say 9 hole course, are you talking there are two distinct 9's, only one of which you like? Or are there only 9 good holes total? If it is the first instance what is lacking in the 9 you don't care for?

Ed,

Both.  The front nine is the best, the back nine not much chop.  I don't know I would want to play the back nine there again, to be honest.  If I couldn't play the front nine twice, I wouldn't play the back.  3,4,5,6 and 8 are the best holes, along with the first, to some degree.  13 A is a good par three, but you have already done the stunning short iron par three at four, so all it really does is add 15 minutes to the round. 

14 is a stunning hole, but they need to lose twenty yards of the marram on the hill to the right - with a standard four club breeze straight into you on the tee, it is pretty intimidating.  18 is a nice view, but the green feels similar to the 8th. 

The back nine is played over much lesser land and just seems too low profile.  15 is a drop shot par three of great beauty, but all you have to do is calculate the drop and hit the green.  A miss right is an easy up and down.  Compared to the 5th at Dunes, a similar length drop shot par three with a much more interesting split level green where you have to calculate bounce and roll and have much more interesting recovery shots.

13 plays through a canyon of sorts.  It doglegs left around an exposed dune, along a flat fairway, then plays to a flat fairway extension green.  I like fairway extension greens, but there is no doubt about where this is back in the fairway.  Given the incredible skill of the construction crew, they could have done anything here and made it fit.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
Mark
As a 36 hole venue do you think the "easier" Lost Farm layout balances the "tougher" Dunes course ?

If you were a 27 marker what would be your 10 round split ? (i'd guess LF 7-3)
If I was a low marker I reckon it would be the opporsite.

David_Elvins

« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
Ed,

There was a rumour that the event would return to Barnbougle/Lost Farm in 2 years.  Start planning now.

I will fill you in on the details of this years event in a few weeks when we catch up in person, as the y may not be fit for print.

All I will say is that Scott did a great job organising, there was a great bunch of blokes there, and I am not sure why James Bennett had an alpaca in his room.  

I sort of agree with Mark on Lost Farm however I am willing to give it plenty more plays to work out the playability aspects.  the fairways were plenty wide but I am not sure how strategic they were.  there didnt seem to be many "no go" zones around the greens, although they were all nicely contoured. Personally I think C&C overdo the low profile thing but that is just my opinion.  

The course is a fine addition to Australian golf, easily in the top 1/2 dozen courses in the country.  Any criticism of the course must be taken in the context that people will be comparing it to some of the best courses on the planet - Barnbougle, Royal Melbourne, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes etc.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_F

« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »
Mark
As a 36 hole venue do you think the "easier" Lost Farm layout balances the "tougher" Dunes course ?

If you were a 27 marker what would be your 10 round split ? (i'd guess LF 7-3)
If I was a low marker I reckon it would be the opporsite.

Richard,

Lost Farm is only easier in benign conditions.  The fairways may be wide enough, but once you get a 3-4 club wind blowing, it exaggerates the sidespin a 27 marker - and lower -  is going to put on it tremendously.  I played with a 3 marker on Thursday afternoon in those conditions, and he lost 8 or 9 balls.

A higher handicapper would still probably expect to do well on the short fours and the par fives, but at Lost Farm, the fives are quite long and, on 1 and 8,  difficult.  14 is very intimidating on the tee with a strong wind smashing into you.  6 and especially 17 are also quite long and difficult par threes with the prevailing wind. 15 is also long with the prevailing wind.

My split would always be 9-1, no matter my handicap level.  I don't find Barnbougle Dunes to be that difficult, just as I didn't find NSW to be all that difficult and penal as well.

It is actually the shorter holes at BB Dunes that are more difficult than the longer ones, especially 7 downwind, and 12.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back