News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - PRICING FINALISED - INFO REQUIRED FROM PARTICIPANTS
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Pup

The HSC isn't until Nov - no ?

March leaves you with more than enough time to study for it  ;)

Scott Warren

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - PRICING FINALISED - PLEASE READ LAST POST
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Thanks to those guys who have PM'd me their room requirements. If you have not and your name is on the list in the OP, could you please PM me ASAP with the level of accommodation you want and (if you have a preference), the people you have arranged to room with.

I will be finalising room requirements with Barnbougle Dunes quite soon. Those who haven't made contact will be placed in a room that suits the gaps we have.

Also, if you're on the list and won't be able to make it, please let me know.

I will have payment details soon, but those from the USA now look like they might save some money as the $AU drops a little from where it peaked.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »
Still a go and can't wait.

Who wants to shack up with a Frenchman?   ;D

I promise not to smoke any Gauloise...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sean Walsh

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »
Patrick,

Happy to terrorise you with my year 10 french avec aussie accent  ;D

Michael Taylor

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
Pup

The HSC isn't until Nov - no ?

March leaves you with more than enough time to study for it  ;)

You know what parents are like.. ::)

Michael Taylor

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
Hahahaha, YEAHH!!  ;D

My parents have relented to let me go, so put me down for this Scott.

I'll be happy to have quad or triple accomodation, and would like to stay with at least 1 person I've met before like Andrew or Terry. I'll take whatever is given though.

Let me know if there is anything I need to know or do Scott.

:) :)

Pup

Scott Warren

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
Welcome aboard padowan.

Andy Gray

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »
Scott,

I really want to make it to this event but as a 15 year old, there isn't much chance considering how little cash I have.. :( Hopefully my parents will support me financially.  :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between singel accom, double etc..? I assume that's how many people stay in the room, no?

Also I'm pretty sure that I'd have to miss out on school time as well, and since I'd be doing my HSC that year, it probably isn't looking too good..

:(

Fingers crossed.

Pup

HSC at 16? You must be quite young for your year.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2010, 03:55:14 AM »
Hi Scott,
I would be keen to attend - I go down to Barny every Feb/March for 99 holes (last weekend in Feb) - and would be down there the week before - can potentially fly back again the following weekend, and certainly Vic courses if they will be included in the rota.
Or - I can be an emergency - in anyone pulls out, I can jump in for them... would love to play in the event.
Cheers
BM
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:18 AM »
Brett: If you want in, you're in!

I hope my post the other day didn't suggest this thing was closed up for new people to jump on board.

All I'm aiming to do is get some framework in place for the good folk at BD and so we have a basic booking set in stone that will cover what we need.

Extra players are more than welcome to sign up, even up to the last minute providing BD can accommodate them.

The more the merrier.

If my post the other day suggested otherwise, it was accidental.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
Scott,

I really want to make it to this event but as a 15 year old, there isn't much chance considering how little cash I have.. :( Hopefully my parents will support me financially.  :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between singel accom, double etc..? I assume that's how many people stay in the room, no?

Also I'm pretty sure that I'd have to miss out on school time as well, and since I'd be doing my HSC that year, it probably isn't looking too good..

Fingers crossed.

Pup

Yes, I am one of the youngest in my year.  ;)

I've got so much schoolwork this year, especially in English (mainly writing) which isn't my strong suit. I should get Scott to do my English work for me..  ;D

Michael Taylor

Bump.

BTW, I am more than happy to host some of you Yanks at NSWGC if you would like a game there. I'm not sure of the dates and that but it would have to be on a sunday.

Don't miss your opportunity to play in this. :)

Pup

Anthony Gray

Is everybody welcomed?

Anthony

Michael Taylor

I can only host 3 people, and it has to be after 1 p.m. But I might get 'special permission' from the GM if we need to get off earlier.

So 3 people are welcomed. :)

Pup

Andy Gray

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2010, 01:37:31 AM »
Scott,

Fingers crossed.

Pup

Yes, I am one of the youngest in my year.  ;)

I've got so much schoolwork this year, especially in English (mainly writing) which isn't my strong suit. I should get Scott to do my English work for me..  ;D

One thing I learnt at school was procrastination and 8 weeks of cramming is not enough for a very good mark (although I consider 80 to be ok). Good to see you have the right attitude.

I live in Sydney, and I assume you do too, so you can host me at NSWGC anytime you would like.  ;D

Michael Taylor

I might have the right attitude, but that itself doesn't stop my procrastinating.  :(

Andy Gray

Well you're only in year 11 so plenty of time to procrastinate yet...

Michael Taylor

3 questions Scott,

When do we have to pay deposits (sorry if you've already said)?
Are caddies compulsory? I'd like to keep costs at a minimum.
What is the accomodation like? Tents? 5 star?

:)

Pup

Scott Warren

3 questions Scott,

When do we have to pay deposits (sorry if you've already said)?

I am working out the best way for us to handle all of this at the moment and will advise ASAP.

Are caddies compulsory? I'd like to keep costs at a minimum.

No, caddies can be booked - I beleieve that would need to be done in advance - but aren't compulsory.

What is the accomodation like? Tents? 5 star?

I'll let those who have stayed previously take this one. I am led to believe we are talking comfortable but not Ritzy.[/quote]

Is everybody welcomed?

Anthony

I'm not sure if this was to me re: the trip or to Michael re: NSWGC?

Scott Warren

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - MARCH 2011 - ITINERARY IDEAS
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »
I've had messages from Boomerangers who are starting to piece together an itinerary of between a week and three weeks, some coming alone and other with wife and some with wife and child(ren).

So many different needs and interests, and so much variety on offer in Australia, so rather than give specific advice to those looking for some pointers, here is some general info you can use to work out what you most want to see.

Sydney
A beautiful city with great beaches, and early March is still great beach weather. The Blue Mountains an hour west are a great sight to see (The Three Sisters etc), as well as walking the harbour foreshore and seeing The Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc. Ferry over the harbour to Manly is great, too.

Golf worth playing:
New South Wales Golf Club (Sydney - MacKenzie/Apperley)
The Lakes (Sydney - Mike Clayton just did a redesign)
Newcastle (90mins north of Sydney - Eric Apperley)

Canberra
While not necessarily a must-see, Canberra is the nation's capital, located roughly halfway between Sydney and Melbourne. It has our parliament house - a kinda cool building, the War Memorial - very interesting, and if kids are with you (or kids at heart) Questacon science centre is a must - lots of fun intereative stuff. Manuka is a great dining area and were you driving between Sydney and Melbourne, it's a sensible place to spend a night.

Golf worth playing:
Royal Canberra - bit of a dumb blonde, you'd not want to miss the best in Syd or Melb to play it instead, but if it will be in addition, why not?!

Melbourne (and surrounds)
I have actually not been to Melbourne (8hrs south of Sydney by car, or an hour by plane), but is is well known as a cultural and shopping hub with a great cafe and small bar culture, world class restaurants. It has been described to me as a really European city. It is also Golf HQ for Australia. Mornington Peninsula is nearby and doable as an overnight trip. The Great Ocean Road is another excursion you can do from melbourne, allowing a few days.

I'd invite any of our Melbourne-based posters to dispell any bullshit in that, add their own thoughts etc.

Golf worth playing:
Royal Melbourne (West - MacKenzie/Alec Russell, East - Russell)
Kingston Heath (Dan Soutar, bunkering by MacKenzie)
National Moonah (Norman - on Mornington)
National Old (RTJ Jr - on Mornington)
St Andrews Beach (Doak - on Mornington)
Other Sandbelt courses such as Victoria, Metropolitan, Commonwealth, Woodlands, Peninsula and Yarra Yarra are also highly rated.

Tasmania (for the Boomerang)
There is bugger all for your missus and child(ren) to do around the vicinity of Bridport where Barnbougle Dunes and The Lost Farm are located. Unless they play golf, in which case they are very welcome to play with us.

Golf worth playing:
We're playing The Lost Farm (Coore) and Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) and they are the only courses worth playing down there.

For non-golfers while we are at the Boomerang
I would suggest that's a good chance for non-golfing spouses and children to either spend some time seeing Sydney (1hr flight north of Bridport), Melbourne (a short hop of a flight Melb > launceston or a ferry ride (a few hours) from Melbourne).

Or if there will be kids in tow or they could spend the three days on the Gold Coast in Queensland (90mins flight from Melbourne, an hour from Sydney) going to the theme parks (Warner Bros MovieWorld, Dreamworld, SeaWorld, Wet and Wild Water Park) etc.

There are heaps of other ideas of stuff they could do. That's just a couple.

The outback
You can fly into Alice Springs for a taste of the outback and can easily get to Uluru (Ayers Rock) from there. About 2hrs flight from anywhere on the east coast).

While not world class, Alice Springs GC does get some love in Aus.

Great Barrier Reef
Up in North Queensland choose from Hamilton Island, Airlie Beach, Lindeman Island, Hayman Island etc to see the reef. Hamilton Island has an airport and you can do daytrips to Hardy Reef by boat or sea plane to see the reef, do some snorkeling, go on the glass bottom boat to see the coral etc. I highly recommend it if you can spare the time.

Western Australia and South Australia
A fair way west (though Adelaide, capital of SA, is nearish to Melbourne) and if you are on a restricted itinerary, perhaps too time consuming to include. I cannot vouch for either, but have heard good things about both.

New Zealand
The South Island has the best scenery, but the North Island (where Auckland is, if you're flying Air New Zealand from the West Coast of the US and have a stopover there) has the best golf. If doing a one-way car hire between arriving from the US and going to SAus or vice versa, you could buy US > Auckland air tickets and do the NZ > Aus legs with a local carrier.

Though it is quite small, so driving around can be done and there is a car ferry from Picton at the top of the South Island to Wellington at the bottom of the North Island which takes 90 mins and takes you through Marlborough Sound which is really scenic.  New Zealand has scenery the equal of anything I have seen in the world.

If doing NZ before Aus, you could go US > Auckland > drive south to Christchurch > Syd/Melb. If doing NZ after Aus, you could go Syd/Melb > Christchurch > drive north to Auckland > fly home.

Golf worth playing:
Paraparaumu Beach (a links near Wellington, the drive to the course is via a pretty coastline)
Cape Kidnappers (Doak's course, near Hawke's Bay on the east coast of the North Island)
Titirangi (a MacKenzie course in Auckland)
Kauri Cliffs (clifftop course, up north of Auckland)
South Island I am no help, sorry.

Travel tools
* For flights within Australia the best airlines are Jetstar and Virgin Blue.
* GoogleMaps overestimates driving times quite a bit.
* All golf clubs listed in Aus are accessible with a friendly phone call or letter and a relatively healthy wallet. Expect to pay from AU$100 for some Sandbelt bargains to $170 or so for NSWGC to $395 for Royal Melbourne without an introduction.
* Easycar has ben good to me with rental cars and I see they now service Australia. Worth looking into.
* If you don't want a car at the Boomerang, Barnbougle Dunes does airport transfers, but they are slightly pricey.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:09:13 PM by Scott Warren »

Richard Choi

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
Scott, thanks for a great post and such a helpful guide. This is going to be crucial in getting my wife to commit to this trip! :)

I am really looking forward to this as it will be the first overseas trip with my daughter. I would highly encourage other Aussies and perhaps Kiwies as well on some travel tips. I am planning on a 2 week trip and I would like to get as much packed in as possible. I would especially appreciate tips on traveling with children and places that they will enjoy the most.

Pebble Beach will have to wait...

Duncan Betts

« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »
Mornington does not require an overnight trip, in fact you could play 36 holes down there in a day nin March and be back in Melbourne for dinner.  You could play 54 and have a late dinner.

A drive down the Bellarine and then over to Port Fairy will take in some good golf (Barwon Heads, Port Fairy) but you'd want to be in the country for a long time to bother with this.

There is plenty for wives/girlfriends/kids to do within striking distance of Bridport, so don't ship them off unreasonably unless they offer!

In Brisbane there is Royal QLD, but while that is my home club, Brisbane isn't a destination I would reccomend if on a trip to Australia - better off going further north, unless you want to go to Steve Irwins (RIP) Zoo.

South Australia / Adelaide is worth a visit, especially if you like red wine and golf.  The same can be said of Perth, but it's a long journey over that way and in the wrong direction.

If you go to NZ, you must go to the South Island, and you can then play visit/play Jacks Point and also the hidden gem Arrowtown.  I played both recently and Arrowtown is sensational (thanks to Thomson and Clayton for the reccomendation!)

Don't bother with Kauri Cliffs, there is much better golf to be played on the North Island.  Some of it listed above by Scott.

The best bet if travelling solo would be.

Sydney - play NSW, Royal Sydney, The Lakes and head up to Newcastle if you have time.  While there, visit Balmoral Beach or Bondi depending on your tastes, or both!  Then of course the CBD and Circular Quay to see the famous sites.  I would bother with the Blue Mountains if you're going to NZ, in fact I wouldn't bother seeing many things at all if you're going to NZ!

Melbourne - play RM, KH, Woodlands, Commonwealth as must plays in Melbourne.  Optional extras are Peninsula, Victoria & Metro.
The city is wonderful, make sure you go and see a pre-season AFL match to experience the sport and the local 'culture', certainly a 'must do' when in Melbourne.
Then you can head to the Mornington Peninsula.  Must plays are St. Andrew's Beach and The National (Old&Moonah).  Optional extras Portsea, Moonah Legends and you could play National Ocean for comedic purposes.
You can also go to the Bellarine and beyond (the other side of Port Philip Bay) and see Barwon Heads, 13th Beach, Port Fairy (3 hours drive) but none of these are must plays.

Tassie
- fly into Launceston, go straight to Bridport, check in and play as much golf as possible at Barny and Lost Farm.  Launceston Golf Club is ok, but do not give up a game at Bridport for one in Launceston!  There are some other great toursit attractions in Tassie, but at the end of the day, it's a golf trip, so just play golf.

South Australia
- if you like your wine, you really should head over to SA/Adelaide.  Have dinner at Macgill Estate, go to the Barossa, McLaren Vale etc.  If you are there, play Royal Adelaide and optional extras are Kooyonga and Grange, but you won't miss a great deal if you don't.

I'll leave NZ suggestions for another day, having just recently returned - its an amazing place with some amazing golf.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2010, 03:34:57 AM »
I'm not sure I would dismiss the area around Bridport so easily for non-golfers. My other half was very happy to come down to Tassie with me when she found out about Platypus House at Beauty Point, maybe an hour west of Barnbougle, and she very much enjoyed visiting the Bridstowe lavender farm. And if you're interested in wine, you could spend several splendid days touring the producers in the Pipers' Brook area - I know there's lots of good wine touring in Oz, but the Tassie ones make far more European style wines, because of the cooler climate.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Leo Barber

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:37 AM »

So much depends on how much time you are down for the total stay.  If it was around the two week mark I would recomend the following for NZ and personally in that timeframe for the overall trip I would only be picking only two general destinations outside of Barnbougle and even that might be tight.

New Zealand

The South Island is unbelievably stunning but is a trip in itself and just not doable in a tight timeframe.  Queenstown has become quite a destination but it would involve a flight in and out and would add a reasonable amount of expense as well as time (its cheaper to probably fly Auckland - Melb than Auck - Queenstown).  I would say the same for Kauri Cliffs situated in the amazing Bay of Islands.

In brief I would fly into Auckland (direct connections with West Coast of US) and out of Wellington (direct flight to Melbourne).  I would suggest - Day 1 play Titirangi in Auckland staying the night (biggest city in NZ).  Day 2 drive south to Taupo (3hrs) and play Kinloch (Jack Nicklaus Signature Course which is modern Jack and pretty special).  After round drive 1.5hrs to Hawkes Bay and stay (depending on budget The Farm at Kidnappers is an option).  Day 3 Play Kidnappers and then PM drive through to Paraparaumu (3hrs).  Option to either stay near Paraparaumu or drive 45min further south and stay in Wellington (Capital of NZ and really nice city but remember you have to drive back out in the morning).  Day 4 AM play Paraparaumu Beach, PM either fly out to Melb or stay night in Wgtn and fly out to Melb next day.  Total four days, four rounds of golf at a Mackenzie, Nicklaus, Doak and Russell course, four really managable drives covering a good chunk of the North Island with some great sights and scenery.

Would be happy to host anyone making the trip here at Paraparaumu Beach.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »

Travel tools
* For flights within Australia the best airlines are Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

Disagree, I'd strongly recommend QANTAS on the basis of their larger numbered aircraft fleet. An unserviceability by these other carriers (or heaven forbid, Tiger Airways) can lead to extra lengthy delays/rescheds while alternative aircraft are procured.
Also read carefully baggage conditions if you're traveling with golf clubs, going over your allowance or not booking a checked baggage allowance before-hand can add big $$'s to your travel costs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back