News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Has Philadelphia Cricket by Tillinghast.....
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:02:53 PM »
Has restoration / tree management started  at this highly regarded A.W. Tillinghast course ?

Joe Bausch

Re: Has Philadelphia Cricket by Tillinghast.....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »
Mark, this is my understanding:  the tree removal and restoration are two different projects.  The tree removal started two winters ago and is nearly completed, with just some selective tree removal remaining.  The restoration project has not yet begun, with the membership to vote on it this fall.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dave Givnish

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
I played PCC earlier this year for the first time in about 15 years.  I think that the results of the tree removal are great. You can see across the property, and it seems like the wind can come into play much more. 

The restoration is a separate project under evaluation.  I wouldn't be surprised in this economy if it is deferred for a few years or done piecemeal.

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Joe and Dave,

Thanks for the update on  Philadelphia Cricket.  Dave, other than the famous 18th. which holes did you find the most intreresting ? Which greens had the most challenging contours...
Thanks

Dave Givnish

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »
9 is probably the one that most people point to first, and then probably 15 (I think) which is a long par 3 along the property line.

My host gave me some details of what they are hoping to do if the members approve the capital expenditures.  I think that it includes going back to the original routing.  What is now the 9th was the 6th.  They are looking to make some changes to the tee locations on the 10th hole.  It will be a longer shot, so I guess people will want to park further away from the green in the lot next to the clubhouse.  They are also planning to restore features to several holes that were removed in the 50's and 60's, including a huge sand trap on one of the par 5's on the front.

D_Malley

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
Joe and Dave,

Thanks for the update on  Philadelphia Cricket.  Dave, other than the famous 18th. which holes did you find the most intreresting ? Which greens had the most challenging contours...
Thanks

Great greens with challenging contours.... 3-5-7-11-14

Adam Sherer

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
It is my understanding that the Keith Foster restoration project of 5M+ on the Wissahickon course has been rejected or deferred by the membership.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
It is my understanding that the Keith Foster restoration project of 5M+ on the Wissahickon course has been rejected or deferred by the membership.

I'm hoping it is the latter, and I'm confident that is the case.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dave Givnish

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »
The vote was on a number of course and clubhouse renovations, and it was turned down. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
I had a great time with Cirba, Shaffe, and Powell there last year.  The back nine feels so pastoral and natural with a great flow to the round.  What, in particular, is Foster working on besides a re-routing?  Will they restore the huge cross-bunker on the long par-5 on the front (is it 7?)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back