News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

IMO - "Sharp Park Under Siege"
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
An excellent essay by Bo Links and Richard Harris on the history of Sharp Park and the current challenges facing the course has just been posted on the In My Opinion page.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/sharp-park

Bo and Rich have formed the SF Public Golf Alliance to champion the cause of muni golf in San Francisco. To learn more about their efforst, check out www.sfpublicgolf.com 

There will be a fundraiser at Sharp Park 6-8pm on Thursday, October 22. See you there!

Tim Leahy

Re: IMO - "Sharp Park Under Siege"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »
I just sent my email to the mayor. Hope everyone does, both residents and visitors. There is no reason the snakes and frogs can't survive on the course. Post signs but don't close the course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Thanks David for the heads-up to the essay.  A in-depth look at past and present there.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
Great post.

I am planning a "somewhat cost friendly" (that means no PB courses) trip to California in April. Sharp Park is on my list to play. Although, somewhat rough looking, those pictures really make it look worth playing! i was thinking of a 36 hole day with Sharp park and Harding Park in the afternoon!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Matt Day

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
the article was a great read. It saddens me that such a fantastic facility that serves the public and the environment could be lost

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »
About damn time we had this up  ;D .

Nice job lads.

Now if we can ever get Mark, Neil and Sean to freaking expand on all this and blow us away with nitty gritty details from the past.

Paging the Mac heads on this...  Anybody home?

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »
One more thing...

On the current 1st hole / 16th previously, can someone confirm the fairway mounds being original?

They're smallish now, but sure seem to be "camouflage" like in nature.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »
I have a 50 page power point presentation by Bo Links with a number of photos if anyone is interested.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
I am watching the "National Parks" mini series on PBS and it got me wondering what is the chance that in honor of the President's Cup that the President could designate Sharp Park a "National Monument" to save it? He is a golfer. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
Patrick
I know that Sean Tully, being a local SF lad has been looking into Sharp Park, but I'm not sure we have much more of the "nitty-gritty" than what Bo and Richard have detailed in their essay. Sorry! There may be a couple of items in there that may be conjecture on their part - hard not to do with this type of research - but the essay looks pretty darn good to me.
Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back