News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Gosselin

John did #13 through #16 in house. McDonald did all of the rest ------without an architect

Mark, the statement above is just plain wrong. Just like much of the other assumptions that I have heard related to the work we did 10 plus years ago. There was a well thought reason for everything we did including how we did it.

Some would argue that we were working with one of the best architects of all time while doing this project. 
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

mike_malone

I was under the impression that no outside architectural consultant was used for the McDonald work. If I'm wrong about that I will gladly be corrected.
AKA Mayday

Mark_Fine

Now I am really confused (and interested at the same time), however, I am sensing this is maybe best not discussed on-line.  If someone wants to IM me, that is fine.

Bob Harris

I find it surprising that some believe that the renovation has made the course "easier and more playable."  I think most members would disagree, especially those with handicaps over 10.  Yes, the tree removal has made a couple of holes easier - especially #'s 5, 11 and 12 for those that have the length to hit it where the trees used to be.  But the bunkers are probably 30-50% larger than before, not to mention deeper, and are catching more shots.  I would say that, overall, it's about a wash from the tees that did not change.  And, of course, the course got much harder from the new, longer tees.  Apparently however, the raters think it got harder, as RG's new rating from the unchanged white and blue tees will cause everyone's handicap to drop almost a stroke next year, when they go into effect.

The tree removal would have caused a decrease but may have been offset by other factors.  I would suggest that the primary reason for the increase in the rating and slope is that the green speeds and the height of the primary rough may have been increased since the previous rating.

Rory Connaughton

Mike:

Interesting comment regarding the playability of the bunkers.  When Jim and Ron did their work at Lancaster, some of the bunkers became marginally shallower others stayed the same or increased in depth.  The increased breadth of the greenside bunkers made them more difficult given that it was no longer enough to simply pop the ball out.  We did get greater contour in the bunker floors especially in the fairway bunkers.  Do you see distinctions between the greenside and fairway bunkers?

mike_malone

Rory,

I think the fairway and greenside bunkers are similar as to the flatness of the bottoms.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back