News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Does anybody build new parkland courses these days?
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
Does anybody build new parkland courses these days?

If so, what are some of the best?

(or, were today's parkland courses once more similar like today's new courses (linksy or heathland style) when they were built?)

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Does anybody build new parkland courses these days?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »
We've built tons of them in Ireland.

Just about every new course for the last 15 years has been built in an old country house estate at high budget... Some very good courses, some half decent, some missed opportunities... Not a single "great" course... But then there was rarely a single "great" piece of land on offer... that is if you take aside the majestic trees, the follies, the walled gardens and the rivers...

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »
We've built tons of them in Ireland.

Just about every new course for the last 15 years has been built in an old country house estate at high budget... Some very good courses, some half decent, some missed opportunities... Not a single "great" course... But then there was rarely a single "great" piece of land on offer... that is if you take aside the majestic trees, the follies, the walled gardens and the rivers...

Ally,
Why no great courses?
Sounds like the same formula that begat ANGC and other great inland courses.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
Jeff,

I better just say average topo and average soil and leave it at that...

But there's been some pretty uninspiring designs as well... Jeff Howes has built a couple of good ones... as have EGD... I also like David Kidd's course at Powerscourt (although I think I'm in the minority)... I'm sure there are more... But considering the money and opportunity that's been around, there have been more missed opportunities than goals scored...

Tim Taylor

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
I guess if you substitute houses and condos for trees the argument could be made that hundreds of parkland courses have been built recently!

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back