News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Book

Scottish Highlands vs. St. Andrews - Slight OT
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »
I am working on putting together a trip to Scotland for next September.  With the recent addition of Castle Stuart I am becoming more intrigued with the Highlands.  Our group has never been to Scotland and probably will be based out of St. Andrews, but we are considering making up to the Highlands.  Is travel between the two difficult?  Must you choose one or the other for a weeks trip?  Must you fly between them, or can you take the train, car, etc...   Any advice would be appreciated.

David_Tepper

Re: Scottish Highlands vs. St. Andrews - Slight OT
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
Tim -

Figure it is about a 2 1/2 drive from central Fife to Inverness. Dornoch is 45-60 minutes beyond Inverness.

I am a big fan of the Highlands. Between Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Nairn, Golspie, Brora, Tain, Moray Old, Fortrose & Rosemarkie, etc., there is plenty of excellent and very good golf to choose from. It is all within a 60-mile radius of Inverness.

My suggestion would be to spend 2-4 days around Nairn (playing Nairn, Castle Stuart & Moray Old) and then 2-4 days in Dornoch (playing Dornoch, Goslpie, Brora, Tain).

DT
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:11:32 PM by David_Tepper »

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »
Tim, the drive is a comfortable 2.5hrs, as David said. In July I played TOC at 11.50am and had dinner in Inverness.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Scotland for a week, first trip over?

I'd fly into Edinburgh, play North Berwick that afternoon, Muirfield on a Tuesday or Thursday if schedule works out, then hot foot it to St Andrews for the rest of the week.  Apply for the ballot every day and play the Old Course every chance you get.  Soak up as much of the St Andrews ambience as you can.

Next time over, probably the next year, you'll be primed for Dornoch and the North.  First you must get the feeling of St Andrews.   ;)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
It's hard to argue with Mr. Tepper or Mr. McBride, which is why I went for two weeks...

If your friends are doing the St. Andrews area, you might as stay around Fife. Play the Old Course, Kingsbarns, Crail's Balcombie links, and pop up to Carnoustie and Panmure.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »
It's hard to argue with Mr. Tepper or Mr. McBride, which is why I went for two weeks...

If your friends are doing the St. Andrews area, you might as stay around Fife. Play the Old Course, Kingsbarns, Crail's Balcombie links, and pop up to Carnoustie and Panmure.

And don't overlook Elie, which may have been my favorite new course played in 2008.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
If you have time to stop between St Andrews and Inverness I would highly recommend Cruden Bay which is on the east coast a little bit north of Aberdeen.  Cruden Bay is not an Open Rota course but it has been described as "the most fun you can have with your clothes on".  It is a wonderfully quirky course with some of the biggest dunes that you will find in Scotland.

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
Tim -

Where there is a will, there is a way....DO BOTH!!!!  I'm guessing you will be there at least 7-9 days.  There isn't a reason in the world why you can't play the big names and a few of the smaller names in between if time allows and if people are willing to play 36.  You can't fly to Scotland for your 1st golf trip and NOT play St. Andrew's.....OR skip the highlands.

St. Andrew's
Kingsbarns
North Berwick
Muirfield (if possible)
Carnoustie
Cruden Bay
Royal Dornoch - 36
Nairn
Castle Stuart

No reason from a travel perspective that this can't be pulled off.  It is great if you can fit in the others that David Tepper mentioned.  But since it is your first trip, go for it.  If age/health is a concern with your travel companions, then I understand, but if not, tell your boys to suck it up and do it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

Tim,

Cruden Bay seven days in a row would be a good choice.

Anthony

Shane Wright

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
one revision to this, make it a day at Muirfield and play 36, if you can get a time slot

Tim -

Where there is a will, there is a way....DO BOTH!!!!  I'm guessing you will be there at least 7-9 days.  There isn't a reason in the world why you can't play the big names and a few of the smaller names in between if time allows and if people are willing to play 36.  You can't fly to Scotland for your 1st golf trip and NOT play St. Andrew's.....OR skip the highlands.

St. Andrew's
Kingsbarns
North Berwick
Muirfield (if possible)
Carnoustie
Cruden Bay
Royal Dornoch - 36
Nairn
Castle Stuart

No reason from a travel perspective that this can't be pulled off.  It is great if you can fit in the others that David Tepper mentioned.  But since it is your first trip, go for it.  If age/health is a concern with your travel companions, then I understand, but if not, tell your boys to suck it up and do it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
IMHO - Lord McBride is on the nail, experience St Andrews then use your second trip to go elsewhere. StA lives and breathes golf and should be assimilated over several days not a quick in and out.

The Highlands are great but it would be like making a first trip to the USA and spending a week on Long Island but never seeing NYC.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
IMHO - Lord McBride is on the nail, experience St Andrews then use your second trip to go elsewhere. StA lives and breathes golf and should be assimilated over several days not a quick in and out.

The Highlands are great but it would be like making a first trip to the USA and spending a week on Long Island but never seeing NYC.

"Lord McBride?"

That has a nice ring to it!   ;D   Thank you, Sir Chappers!

Actually, an ancestor (at least according to family legend) was the Count Cardwell (my middle name) of County Armagh, so there might be a tinge of lordshp that Mark quickly picked up on.    ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »

Mark

If golf is the object, staying a week in NYC rather than LI would not be wise...... ;)

....but I would concur that a week in NE Fife is good for the first trip.  If you go to Dornoch first you might never ever get to St. Andrews......

Rich

Tim Book

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice, now I just need to double the time I have requested from the Mrs for in her mind yet 'another boys trip'!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back