News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: Chicago Highlands and the Olympic Golf Tournament
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »
Sounds like Obama HAD to go. If I understand the news reports correctly, the leader of each of the other country's was there too.
And it does sound like it was a known done deal for Rio and they were hoping Obama's presence would help push it our way.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jay Flemma

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David Kelly

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »
I can understand why any city would take this on with all the costs and losses that come with it.

Also assuming you meant to say can't instead of can I disagree a little in that the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles were a great success both for the city of Los Angeles and as an event itself.  It even turned a profit and with some of the profit endowed the Amateur Athletic Foundation (now called the LA 84 Foundation), which has the largest sports research library in North America and is home to the invaluable Ralph Miller Golf Library and helps fund amateur athletics throughout Southern California. 

Of course in 1996 I went to some of the events in Atlanta and it did seem like kind of a fiasco.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Chris Kane

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 04:05:51 AM »
I can understand why any city would take this on with all the costs and losses that come with it.
Agree with David Kelly - you can also count Sydney as a stunning success.

JR Potts

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2009, 07:31:59 AM »
It certainly would have been interesting to see what Club around here was going to "take it."  And yes, I said "take it", not "get it."

The IOC wanted free use of the facility for three weeks with no share of the tickets, the merchandise and the TV.

No Thanks!

Good luck Rio!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
Dudes,

"The olympics have never been in South America"

They opened with that fact in their presentation. Brilliant.

They got this one right

.... and saved Chicago a fortune!

This was huge. The Rio gang used a map of the world at several presentations. It had all the Olympic cities, summer and winter, on it. Africa and South America were empty. That probably put them over the top as cities were eliminated. And, reports Phil Hersh in Sunday's Chicago Tribune, the USOC's internal turmoil, from a revolving door at the top to the plan for an Olympic cable channel that it failed to run by the IOC, likely got Chicago knocked out first.
A link to Phil's column: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-olympics-hersh-04-oct04,0,7643606.column
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

mike_beene

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
They were probably afraid we were going to bail them out.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »
There is also the international perspective that says that the US has had a lot of Olympics in the recent past (80,84,96,02) and it is time for the rest of the world to get in the action a little bit more.  And the last summer Olympics held in the US wasn't so highly thought of - the head of the IOC implied that it was the worst Olympics ever (Samaranch traditionally said at the closing ceremonies that "This was the best Olympics ever".  That statement was noticably absent at Atlanta.) 

Time zone isn't an issue with Rio since it is just one hour ahead of Eastern time.

Jud_T

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
article in today's NYT about the incompetency of the USOC..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/sports/04usoc.html

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

tlavin

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
I'm just dumbfounded that Obama put his political capital on the line without knowing the outcome?  Very unpresidential and pretty stupid for the smartest man on the planet...

Spoken like a true idiot. Stick with shilling the ocean course.

Phil McDade

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »
Dave:

That all sounds entirely plausible -- I believe it! It's pretty amazing how poorly the USOC is received, both by key constituents here in the US (like USA Swimming, which oversees one of the most dominant group of athletes worldwide), and particularly in the international sporting community.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Re: Chicago Highlands and the Olympic Golf Tournament New
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
I'm just dumbfounded that Obama put his political capital on the line without knowing the outcome?  Very unpresidential and pretty stupid for the smartest man on the planet...

Spoken like a true idiot. Stick with shilling the ocean course.

The true idiot is living in public houseing on Penn. Ave. spending all my money...

CBO: Budget deficit hit record $1.4T in 2009 thanks to recession-fed drop in revenue, bailouts
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:23:12 AM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back