News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Castle Stuart Photos
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »

Recent threads have posted accurate reviews. Rich Goodale's comments were on target as well as the article in David Tepper's thread "fine Golf Reviews.

The only thing I would like to add is that I had a Forrest Gump moment of being at the right place at the right time. I got to spend an hour with the developer Mark Parsinen and general manager Stuart McColm. Mark's passion for golf design is second to none. He routed the course before hiring an architect. He should be considered an architect himself, not only a developer/owner. There will be a 90 minute documentary produced about the construction of the course.

Anthony

Eric Smith

Re: Castle Stuart Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
HOLY COW those are some great pics Anthony!

Your photos of the bunkering look particularly fanciful.  I think I'll print and frame a few of them for my office.

Nice that you had the opportunity to chat with Mark Parsinen as well.  Will there be any notes shared ala your Feature Interview with Jim Thornton? Any dentistry applied?

Can't wait to catch up on the rest of the trip with you soon.

Eric

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
Thank you Anthony, did you ask Mark Parsinen how many people smiled when they mention the wonky sleepers? ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »
Thank you Anthony, did you ask Mark Parsinen how many people smiled when they mention the wonky sleepers? ;)

Tony,

They are barely noticeable. Most of the bunkers are protective insted of penal. It is a must play. The after round meal in that clubhouse is the perfect way to finish a wonderful day.

Anthony

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »
Anthony -

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing them with us. Looks like you had a wee breeze during your round! ;)

DT

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »
Anthony -

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing them with us. Looks like you had a wee breeze during your round! ;)

DT

David,

It was the first time I have golfed when you would walk by a bunker and the sand blowing out of the bunker felt like needles hitting your face. I hit an 8-iron 208 with the wind and the the last par 3 of 210 came up 25 yards short with my driver.

Anthony

Steve Sayre

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
Very nice pics --- when you say a documentary on the course development, do you know if if will be a DVD for general consumption?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »
Very nice pics --- when you say a documentary on the course development, do you know if if will be a DVD for general consumption?

Steve,

That is the plan. The architect/owner has been onsite since 2003. Some of the footage can be found on Youtube. Glad to see you posting.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
I think this is a nice nug from your time spent with Mark Parsinen:

"He routed the course before hiring an architect"

I wonder, did he happen to say how much time he spent on the property developing his routing?

Was CS as good as you had hoped it would be?

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »
Anthony,

Some great photos in there.

I played CS a couple of weeks ago, but just havent had the time to put the pics together in a thread. Maybe after my trip to Askernish next week I can do a comparison thread between two of the newest  ;D courses in Scotland? Putting it simply, I loved CS so the more photos the better!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »
Anthony -

Since you are a big fan of Cruden Bay, how would you divide 10 rounds between CS & CB (assuming green fees were the same or not an issue)?

DT

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
Anthony -

Since you are a big fan of Cruden Bay, how would you divide 10 rounds between CS & CB (assuming green fees were the same or not an issue)?

DT

David,

I'll go 6/4 with Cruden Bay, but that is with every course I've played. That is a great compliment of Castle Stuart. I am not a big believer in judging it with just one play, but there are so many things that were done the correct way at CS. Before playing I thought that it could have been better to finish on the water ie Pebble Beach. But 18 finishes on the high ground with the best view on the course. Also the interior of the clubhouse and its view is extremely relaxing. The course plays challenging but you finish feeling refreshed and not beat up. Similiar to Pac Dunes in that way. No doubt I'll return next year.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
I think this is a nice nug from your time spent with Mark Parsinen:

"He routed the course before hiring an architect"

I wonder, did he happen to say how much time he spent on the property developing his routing?

Was CS as good as you had hoped it would be?

Crash,

It exceded my visual expectations. The greens that have no land behind them is a nice touch. It makes the yardage decieving. The bunkering around the greens does not crowd out the low runner and leaves short game options for the player. The owner has a very modest house on the grounds which speaks highly of his humility and passion. I'm sure that when the DVD documentary comes out many people are going to be surprised by the thought that was put into each hole. Mark Parsinen truly has a great mind for architecture. He did the web site and even the yardage book. In my ignorance I had assumed he was just a golf couse developer/businessman but I could not have been more wrong. Castle Stuart is his baby. That may sound kiss-ass but if you spend 15 minutes with him his passion and knowledge would be obvious.

Anthony

Joe Bentham

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
am I the only one who thinks some of the bunkering is way over the top?  They've got sod face walls, wild blow outs and saucer shaped pot bunkers.  Without playing the course (which I think looks loads of fun) I'd think they would have been better off with picking one style and sticking with it, as far as the bunkers go.  I just see a lot of sensory overload and some playability issues..

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
Joe -

This issue was discussed on the very first thread that contained CS photos. It led to some very dubious (IMHO) judgments and opinions about the course from people who had never seen the course in person.

Yes, the photos of some of the bunkers taken up close may make some of the bunkers appear a little too busy. If you read the comments from people who have actually either played or walked the course, it would appear that this is not a meaningful concern in any way. I have seen the entire course and that is my opinion as well.

My understanding is the designers of CS believe there was an era when the bunkers on many links courses were not uniform in shape and style, but rather a variety of shapes and styles were used. It is this "look" they have sought to achieve at CS.   

DT

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
am I the only one who thinks some of the bunkering is way over the top?  They've got sod face walls, wild blow outs and saucer shaped pot bunkers.  Without playing the course (which I think looks loads of fun) I'd think they would have been better off with picking one style and sticking with it, as far as the bunkers go.  I just see a lot of sensory overload and some playability issues..

What's wrong with variety? ??? :(
Should all the doglegs curve the same way or the greens all slope the same way?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

Joe,

Understood. But as a mid handicapper I did not sniff a fairway bunker on a very windy day. If forced to be critical of the course I would say the bunkers should be more in the line of play than what they are. David Moririty posted some photos of bunkres from the mid 1800's that look the same. Many of the bunkers are protective rather than penel. The next TOP 100 list willclude Castle Stuart. It also has a nice seperation of holes. Each hole has a sense of isolation. Again , go play it, have a warm bowl of soup after the round, then plan your next trip back.

Best,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back