News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Posting foreign scores
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
So I have my 9 scorecards from Ireland, but do I post them for my USGA handicap? Their score cards have an SSS # but not a slope and course rating. Anyone know?

Anthony Gray

Re: Posting foreign scores
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »

Bill,

What a good topic. Because of the varied weather conditions I believe there is no way to compare your handicap in the US to to your scores in Ireland. I just got back also and in no way could I play up to my handicap because of the severe winds. They even closed the bridges to the lawries. I would say do not post your scores. Two different worlds.

Anthony

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
So I have my 9 scorecards from Ireland, but do I post them for my USGA handicap?

no

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
Bill
With all respect , you didnt get it    ???

Jon Nolan

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
Some foreign courses are USGA rated.  If you play those courses you should (have to) post your round.  If you play courses without USGA ratings/slopes you shouldn't (are prohibited from) post.

http://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=11

I think you wrote you played Ballybunnion and I'm 99% sure they have a rating.  I gave it a quick search and couldn't find it though. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
Jon, thanks for that link. Looks like I do not post my Ireland rounds. The courses I played all have SSS #'s, Standard Scratch Scoring, not course and slope ratings.

The SSS number is a whole number. Here are a few of the numbers and par for the courses I played:

Royal County Down:  Par 71, SSS 73
Royal Portrush (Dunlance) Par 72, SSS 73
Portstewart (Strand) Par 72, SSS 71
Donegal Par 73, SSS 73
Portsalon 72, SSS 72
Ballyliffin Old, Par 71, SSS 72
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:29:13 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »
Bill

Explain, please.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
Bill

Explain, please.

Might be an anti scorecard and pencil statement!  I know that's how I feel about playing those courses or other links courses, they are most fun when playing match play.

Martin Toal

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
This is an interesting question, although I know the answer is 'no'.

The issue for me is that USGA course rating seems astonishingly inflated. The most difficult courses in the UK (the likes of Carnoustie) have a SSS of about 75 from the back, yet many US Tour event courses have a higher rating of 78 or so, when "slope" is added. I think that contributes to flattering handicaps for some US golfers.

The difference between the 10 of 20 x 0.96 versus the UK method of adding or subtracting decimal points of handicap are less of an effect on handicap than the course ratings.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »
I don't know if any courses in Ireland have been rated to USGA type numbers, but Dean Knuth, aka The Pope of Slope has done this for many of Scotland's courses.  They can be found on his website:

http://popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back