News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Fairey

Re: Buda 2009 - wash up thread
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
no...Joseph was on his own at the bar....2010 is a long time away...hopefully, our paths will cross before

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2009, 07:46:11 AM »
Apologies for my late entry into this thread but a mixture of tiredness, work, my wife's birthday and a couple of rounds of golf have kept me away from GCA for much of the time since I got home ;)

A big thank you to Mark Chaplin for all that you did in arranging Buda 2009 and making it such a great success.

Thanks also to Craig Disher and Peter Mallalieu for organising the match at Littlestone and to the other Littlestone members who made us feel so welcome.

Thanks to Michael Whitaker for his photo memories.  Keep 'em coming Mike - there must be more than that!

I played yesterday in a PGA North Region Pro-Am at Hollins Hall.  Wind, rain, three layers of clothing to keep warm and a five hour round to boot.  What a change from last week!  Roll on Buda 2010.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
The great thing post-Buda is that I can now read Andrew's posts in my head using his accent! ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »
To Mark for the main event and Andrew and Craig for the prelims, muchos kudos!  A grand time was had by all, which is as it always has been and always shall be for BUDA.

One factual quibble--Ulrich the Great did not have a perfect record at BUDA as Andrew and I held him and Bob Jenkins to a draw in the first match.  At the time I thought that we were unlucky not to win, as Bob holed an 85 footer on the 18th to halve the match, but seeing how Ulrich went from strength to strength as the gathering progressed, I think we were probably lucky to get that 1/2 point....

And Scott, I was the only one at that gathering filled with Poms, Convicts, Euros, Canucks and losers in the War of Northern Agression who did NOT have an accent. :)

Thanks to all.

Rich

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
To Mark for the main event and Andrew and Craig for the prelims, muchos kudos!  A grand time was had by all, which is as it always has been and always shall be for BUDA.

One factual quibble--Ulrich the Great did not have a perfect record at BUDA as Andrew and I held him and Bob Jenkins to a draw in the first match.  At the time I thought that we were unlucky not to win, as Bob holed an 85 footer on the 18th to halve the match, but seeing how Ulrich went from strength to strength as the gathering progressed, I think we were probably lucky to get that 1/2 point....

And Scott, I was the only one at that gathering filled with Poms, Convicts, Euros, Canucks and losers in the War of Northern Agression who did NOT have an accent. :)

Thanks to all.

Rich

Rich
I too noticed that Ulrich's record had become one of 100% success but I didn't previously mention our half against him & Bob in case I was accused of being churlish.  Or was it because I didn't want to draw attention to our gaining that half point from the lofty position of 2 up with 3 to play? ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »
Who had a 100% record?? 4-0-0............ 8)
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »

Mark
No one likes a show off ;)

P.S. You had a distinct home advantage ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »

You played me twice, so there should be a proper asterisk there by your record.

Scott Warren

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
I was 3-0 (due mainly to solid play by Craig Disher at RSG and Joe Fairey at RCP) until I ran into the buzz saw that is known officially as Giles Payne.   :(

Not unhappy with 3-2, considering I'd rather be playing links golf than most anything else I can think of.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
a proper asterisk

;D

I'm sure people at home will soon tire of my new favorite adjective.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »

Who hand-picked his partners and opponents?  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:13:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »

It is very interesting how my putt to save the day on the 18th hole has grown from 30 feet to 35 feet and now, according to Richard, to 85 feet. I doubt if it was an inch longer than 60 feet! The best part was that Ulrich and I thought at that point we may have won the match, only to see Andrew Mitchell confidently step up and knock in a 12 footer to force the tie. It was a heck of a match and huge fun on an outstanding course.

Bob

mike_malone

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
Thanks to all who had a hand in organizing this, especially Mark. Also, thanks to Craig for setting up the lovely day at Littestone with the members.

Mark,

I guess we got disconnected there on Thursday. I went out back and played the kids course.

Mark Pearce said he was getting tired of seeing my balls in all sorts of crazy places.  Yes, that is a double entendre!

But, I think I found something by Sunday. I had two birdies in the last nine at Pennard with the second being my final hole of the trip!
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
Mayday,

I'd never have got tired of seeing your balls in the places you put them!

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

mike_malone

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »
  Mark,
   If I had been your partner then I expect you would care where I put them  ;D
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Mike,

As your opponent I cared, just in a different way!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »
I forgot my stand-out clear-cut Buda highlight:

Mayday forgetting it was foursomes on the 7th at George's and taking three swings at our ball while I was over helping Mark and Andrew find their pill! ;D ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
Which was a truly miraculous find, having been hit nearer the beach than the green, in deep hay.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Well, it appears my claim to fame is fading by the minute, so I do have to step in and maintain that I have scored 4.5 points in BUDA week compared to the meager 4 of one Mr. Chaplin, who apparently chose to sit out on Monday ;-)

Anyway, it looks like I severely overplayed my hand in Kent, because right now I am playing like crap :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Woodger

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »
Just curious what did people think was the harder course between deal or st georges? and why?

mike_malone

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »
   Mark,

That "harder" question always annoys me ;D

Sandwich is longer than Deal so it is harder.When you have a longer club in your hand for approaches there is more chance to be farther from the hole, but this misses the point of which course someone would want to play. My thoughts were to join Deal and play Sandwich once a month.
AKA Mayday

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
RSG has the harder bunkers, the walls are vertical and in Deal they are slanted. The green complexes were more difficult in RSG with a couple of exceptions, though.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
   Mark,

That "harder" question always annoys me ;D

Sandwich is longer than Deal so it is harder.When you have a longer club in your hand for approaches there is more chance to be farther from the hole, but this misses the point of which course someone would want to play. My thoughts were to join Deal and play Sandwich once a month.

We are 100% in agreement on this one!

Craig Disher

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »
After the foursomes round at Littlestone, a gathering on the 1st tee.

Standing: Rich Goodale, Ian Dickson, Bill McBride, Andrew Mitchell, Tony Muldoon, Joe Buehler, Mike Malone, Ulrich Mayring, Giles Payne, Joe Fairey, Barry Humphries (Littlestone Captain)
Kneeling: Mike Whitaker, Conrad Gamble, Mark Pearce, Craig Disher, Joseph Fairey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back