News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Buda 2009 - wash up thread
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »
I too want to say thanks to one and all for all the hard work to make this come together. Thanks again

Carl Nichols

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »
Chappers displays his meat pie to the ladies!
By the way... that's the Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club jacket Mr. Chaplin is sporting. Now you know why Sean (Scott?) calls it a deck chair cover!

How much is membership? Does Deal carry 46 XXL? That is THE greatest club jacket I  have seen!

And they have matching ties! 

Jason McNamara

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
Is one also required to change his name to Joseph?

Scott Warren

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 02:42:58 AM »
And they have matching ties! 

... and trousers, and plus fours and flat caps!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
Jason - members call them our Joseph jackets as most have.......a golden lining......as well!!

The tie came first many years ago then a member and a tailor who is a Public School Member decided to produce the jackets. I believe there are about 80 around the club now.

Sean Arble - real shame you couldn't play as the back nine has been extremely benign of late, with a very gentle wind from the right and loads of bounce this morning from 12 onwards I hit - Driver, wedge. Rescue, wedge. 6 iron. 3 wood, wedge. 16th - 3 wood, 5 iron. 4 iron, wedge. 18th Rescue, wedge.....all very odd for late September.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Woodger

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »
the back nine has been extremely benign of late, with a very gentle wind from the right and loads of bounce this morning from 12 onwards I hit - Driver, wedge. Rescue, wedge. 6 iron. 3 wood, wedge. 16th - 3 wood, 5 iron. 4 iron, wedge. 18th Rescue, wedge.....all very odd for late September.

wow that is playing benign! i have never heard it playing that short.

sounds like you guys had a wonderful time on some great courses. I am still kicking myself that i couldnt make it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
Mark

The ball is bouncing up to 100yds however as you know it's tough to get the ball close and whilst using wedges half the time, all the player's skill is taken up using the humps and hollows to feed the ball into the pins. When you next over??

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »
Jason - members call them our Joseph jackets as most have.......a golden lining......as well!!

The tie came first many years ago then a member and a tailor who is a Public School Member decided to produce the jackets. I believe there are about 80 around the club now.

Sean Arble - real shame you couldn't play as the back nine has been extremely benign of late, with a very gentle wind from the right and loads of bounce this morning from 12 onwards I hit - Driver, wedge. Rescue, wedge. 6 iron. 3 wood, wedge. 16th - 3 wood, 5 iron. 4 iron, wedge. 18th Rescue, wedge.....all very odd for late September.

Chappers

You have convinced me that a visit to Deal is in order.  Out with Castle Stewart and in with Deal.

THE NEXT DOZEN: Brancaster, Silloth, Ganton, Berkshire Red, Pulborough, Sunningdale Old, Deal, Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, Franklin Hills, Pasatiempo & Cypress Point

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Scott Warren

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
Is Castle Stewart anywhere near Castle Stuart? ;)

Get over here already! Our attempts to get me to Burnham have proven to be doomed, maybe we'll have more luck getting the other bloke to the opposite coast!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
Sean - Just send me some dates, if you free Thursday or Friday this week is promising, I'd even pass up a reciprocal at RStG!!
Cave Nil Vino

Giles Payne

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »
I feel I am a little late but I must still add my thanks to everyone who put the work in to make it such a fantastic occasion.

Scott, sorry about that - you put an Aussie in front of me and the competitive spirit comes out! Many thanks for your guidance on the lines, it obviously worked a treat!

Mark, I would be very happy to play at Huntercombe with you, Tony and Philip - has anyone got any suggested dates?

I am looking forward to the next BUDA already, wherever it may be.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
Mark

The ball is bouncing up to 100yds however as you know it's tough to get the ball close and whilst using wedges half the time, all the player's skill is taken up using the humps and hollows to feed the ball into the pins. When you next over??

Mark

indeed the ball goes further but alas that is true for both good and bad shots  :)

Back at christmas next Mark. Regardless of the weather i am coming down to Deal. Got to get value for money for my membership! ;D

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »

I too, would like to thank Mark Chaplin, Mark Pearce, Mike Whittake, Craig Disher and anyone else involvedin organizing this fabulous outing. I loved every minute of it and cannot thank you guys enough. I will post some pictures as well in the next few days once I get my office under control.

Thanks again.

Bob Jenkins

Jason McNamara

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »

Excellent - glad to know I was on the right track!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

I too, would like to thank Mark Chaplin, Mark Pearce, Mike Whittake, Craig Disher and anyone else involvedin organizing this fabulous outing. I loved every minute of it and cannot thank you guys enough. I will post some pictures as well in the next few days once I get my office under control.

Thanks again.

Bob Jenkins
Bob,

That's very kind of you but getting to choose who plays with who isn't work, it's a pleasure.  The real thanks for BUDA go to Mark C, and for the Litlestone outing to Craig and Peter Mallalieu.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
My favourite quotes of Buda Week.

A visiting American, after walking off the 18th at Deal: "So, is it legal to live in England and not have a dog?"

------

Another visiting American (many details of the week are sketchy!), shaking his head in disbelief, after chatting to Nick Leefe and Conrad Gamble: "How is it possible that they are from the same country?!"

------

Conrad, surveying the wreckage that was me after Tuesday night: "Jesus, look at you. Thank f**k I didn't put any money on you to win this morning!"

Conrad, after receiving a dressing down from the Deal secretary for opening an internal door from the Dormie House to the kitchen that set off an alarm, causing said secretary to be summoned out of bed and to the club by the police in the middle of the night: Was that the first time it's happened?

Sec: No, we've had five groups stay there since we opened it, and all five have done it. We are thinking of putting a sign on the door saying not to open it..."

Conrad:" Yeah, I reckon you might be onto something there!"

------

And who can ever forget the smile on Tiger Bernhardt's face when he found out Wednesday afternoon was going to be singles?! ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
Conrad, surveying the wreckage that was me after Tuesday night: "Jesus, look at you. Thank f**k I didn't put any money on you to win this morning!"

I wish I could have seen that.  Am I too early to demand the opportunity to play a round with Conrad at next year's Buda? 

Scott Warren

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
I believe a line has formed, and he is fully booked for USA member/guest events until 2013.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
Lunch at Royal St Georges:

Philip Gawith, Joseph Fairey, Joe Fairey and Ian Dickson
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
Lunch at Royal St Georges:

Conrad Gamble, Tony Muldoon, Michael Whitaker and Joe Buehler
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:24 PM »
Can I ask on any further picture posts that beer and wine glasses are blocked out, anyone would think we drank alot!!
Cave Nil Vino

John Mayhugh

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
Can I ask on any further picture posts that beer and wine glasses are blocked out, anyone would think we drank alot!!

At least no one was taking photos in the Deal clubhouse at 1AM on Thursday.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
No need, take Mark Pearce's look from the earlier post and add 3 hours. My memory of the night is trudging to the paper shop at 0715 on Thursday for water and strong pain killers!
Cave Nil Vino

Joe Fairey

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2009, 06:16:01 PM »
Round trip air to London..$530...Rental car $250...one bedroom at house in Deal(did not inc shower)..$220...Buda golf...$500...
liquor bill...$300-400??....Buda 2009.......PRICELESS

John Mayhugh

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
Round trip air to London..$530...Rental car $250...one bedroom at house in Deal(did not inc shower)..$220...Buda golf...$500...
liquor bill...$300-400??....Buda 2009.......PRICELESS

Liquor bill just $300-400? You must not have been covering Joseph.   ;D

Sorry we didn't get to play together, but that is what Buda 2010 is good for.  Hope you enjoyed the look around London.h

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back